Home » Other » General » DB12.2 on premises licences release date  () 1 Vote
DB12.2 on premises licences release date [message #659676] Fri, 27 January 2017 01:31 Go to next message
John Watson
Big announcement in this
https://support.oracle.com/rs?type=doc&id=742060.1

Extended Support fee waiver for 11.2.0.4 extended through December 2018
DB release 12.2 on premises licences available 15 March 2017 for Linux and Solaris (Windows a few months later)
Still nothing about XE edition for 12 (will it ever exist?)
Re: DB12.2 on premises licences release date [message #659687 is a reply to message #659676] Fri, 27 January 2017 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
Thank you John. Getting to 12 is still my top priority, but it's nice to know we have some more breathing room.

I am curious as to how this came to your attention. If I hadn't stumbled across it here, how would I have been expected to know?
Re: DB12.2 on premises licences release date [message #659689 is a reply to message #659687] Fri, 27 January 2017 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
I suspect that Oracle aren't overly keen on promoting it. That would mean admitting that, for whatever reason, customers aren't taking up 12.1 as quickly as they'd hoped.

For example, where I'm currently working we support systems whose software vendors only support installations on 10.2.0.5!
Re: DB12.2 on premises licences release date [message #659690 is a reply to message #659687] Fri, 27 January 2017 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
@Ed You can set up your oracle.com account to subscribe to various communications. Most of them are marketing spam.

@Gazzag There may be something commercial going on here. Uncle Oracle really wants us to go to the Oracle Cloud. A year or so ago their sales droids were all given new commission structures that basically meant they make virtually nothing from selling on premises licences but heaps for Cloud sales. I heard the other day that Larry's revenue from the Cloud is indeed shooting up, but that hardware and licence sales are dropping through the floor. This announcement may be an attempt to reverse this situation. Or at least, reverse the bad part of it.

Re: DB12.2 on premises licences release date [message #659699 is a reply to message #659690] Fri, 27 January 2017 11:40 Go to previous message
EdStevens
John Watson wrote on Fri, 27 January 2017 08:28
@Ed You can set up your oracle.com account to subscribe to various communications. Most of them are marketing spam.
Which is why I'm not subscribed. Already, 50% of my daily email is now junk -- and I get a pretty fair amount of internal email that is NOT junk.

Quote:

@Gazzag There may be something commercial going on here. Uncle Oracle really wants us to go to the Oracle Cloud. A year or so ago their sales droids were all given new commission structures that basically meant they make virtually nothing from selling on premises licences but heaps for Cloud sales. I heard the other day that Larry's revenue from the Cloud is indeed shooting up, but that hardware and licence sales are dropping through the floor. This announcement may be an attempt to reverse this situation. Or at least, reverse the bad part of it.

Yeah, they were all over us a few months back. Presented themselves as our new account manager, but the ONLY thing they wanted to talk about was the Cloud. All attempts to address other questions was met with "I'm not sure but I'll be sure to find out and get back to you on that." Crickets.
Previous Topic: Books
Next Topic: DB12.2 available for download
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:47:55 CDT 2024