Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Collections - Nested Tables and VARRAY (Oracle 11.2.0.3)
Collections - Nested Tables and VARRAY [message #659058] Thu, 05 January 2017 05:33 Go to next message
pointers
Hi,

I was reading a plsql book written by Steven Furestein.
And I read the below statement about NESTED TABLE and VARRAY Collections.

Quote:
Collection elements are of a single type, which canbe most scalar datatypes, an object type, or a REF object type.
If the elements are objects, the object type itself cannot have an attribute that is a collection.
In PL/SQL, if you are creating a collection with RECORD elements, its fields can be only scalars or objects. Explicitly disallowed collection datatypes are BOOLEAN, NCHAR, NCLOB, NVARCHAR2, REF CURSOR, TABLE, and VARRAY (non-SQL datatype).
What I am confused is I could create a collection in sql with nchar or nclob and even in plsql.

e.g. create or replace type emp_nt is table of nchar;

In PLSQL,
DECLARE
    TYPE emp_nt IS TABLE OF NCHAR;
    l_empname emp_nt := emp_nt();
BEGIN
   l_empname.extend;
   l_empname(1):='h';
   dbms_output.put_line(l_empname(1));
END;
/
What exactly the bold statement means.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Pointers
Re: Collections - Nested Tables and VARRAY [message #659059 is a reply to message #659058] Thu, 05 January 2017 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Which version was the latest when the book was written?
Which version are you using to test?

I would expect the n* types to be allowed, but it's entirely possible they weren't initially and oracle fixed it in a later version.
Re: Collections - Nested Tables and VARRAY [message #659062 is a reply to message #659059] Thu, 05 January 2017 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pointers
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

The book is 5th edition of Oracle PLSQL programming covers through Oracle Database 11g Release 2.

Regards,
Pointers
Re: Collections - Nested Tables and VARRAY [message #659063 is a reply to message #659058] Thu, 05 January 2017 07:31 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Why don't you ask the author? His email is public.

Previous Topic: EXTERNAL TABLE CREATION ERROR
Next Topic: email validation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:04:42 CDT 2024