Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Global Temporary Tables
Global Temporary Tables [message #655822] Tue, 13 September 2016 16:19 Go to next message
derrellgore
So I just wrote by first script using Global Temporary Table. Got it to work but I have a couple of questions.

I will be getting a new system which uses Oracle. I want to be able to use Visual Studio to write programs with data from the Oracle database. Pretty sure I will only have READ-ONLY access permissions on the database so might be an issue if I had to create GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLES. As you can see from the C# code at the end I am saving my scripts in an SQL database which works great. I think I can get by with everything except possibly GTT's once I get the new system.

1. What would you do in the place of Global Temporary Table if you did not have CREATE TABLE PERMISSION on database? Using Global Temporary Tables is the only thing I can see hindering me to use Visual Studio to write programs using the data. It is my understanding you cannot use GTT unless you create the tables first. I created a GTT called HWL_Variance_Temp.

2. What exactly ends a session? I found that if I ran this from my program using different parameters it kept the data from the first time. I am using ON COMMIT PRESERVE ROWS. I couldn't get TRUNCATE to work with GTT so as you can see in my last line I just DELETED everything to clear the table. This works but is this the best way to do it?

ORACLE SCRIPT
DECLARE
  v_YearTemp NUMBER;
  v_MonthTemp NUMBER;
  v_YearMonthTemp VARCHAR2(50);
  v_Count NUMBER;

CURSOR Usage_Cursor IS
  SELECT TotUsage, LastMonth, TwoMonthAgo, ThreeMonthAgo, Name, Year, Month
	FROM HWL_Variance 
	Where AcctNo = :p_AcctNo AND Route = :p_Route AND HasAuxMeter = :p_HasAuxMeter AND Srv = :p_Srv
	Order By YearMonth;

Usage_Row HWL_Variance%ROWTYPE;

BEGIN

v_YearTemp := 0;
  v_MonthTemp := 0;

FOR Usage_Row IN Usage_Cursor LOOP

IF v_YearTemp = 0 THEN

v_YearTemp := Usage_Row.Year;
    v_MonthTemp := Usage_Row.Month;

IF LENGTH(CAST(v_MonthTemp AS VARCHAR2)) = 1 THEN
      v_YearMonthTemp := CAST(v_YearTemp as VARCHAR2) || '/0' || CAST(v_MonthTemp as VARCHAR2);
    ELSE
      v_YearMonthTemp := CAST(v_YearTemp as VARCHAR2) || '/' || CAST(v_MonthTemp as VARCHAR2);
    END IF;

END IF;

SELECT COALESCE(COUNT(*),0) INTO v_Count FROM HWL_Variance_Temp WHERE YearMonth = v_YearMonthTemp;

IF(v_Count = 0) THEN
      INSERT INTO HWL_VARIANCE_TEMP(YearMonth, TotUsage, Name)
                             VALUES(v_YearMonthTemp, Usage_Row.TotUsage, 'TOTAL USAGE - ' || Usage_Row.Name);
  END IF;

v_MonthTemp := v_MonthTemp -1;

IF v_MonthTemp = 0 THEN
    v_MonthTemp := 12;
    v_YearTemp := v_YearTemp - 1;
  END IF;

v_YearMonthTemp := CAST(v_YearTemp as VARCHAR2) || '/0' || CAST(v_MonthTemp as VARCHAR2);
  ELSE
    v_YearMonthTemp := CAST(v_YearTemp as VARCHAR2) || '/' || CAST(v_MonthTemp as VARCHAR2);
  END IF;

SELECT COALESCE(COUNT(*),0) INTO v_Count FROM HWL_Variance_Temp WHERE YearMonth = v_YearMonthTemp;

IF(v_Count = 0) THEN
                             VALUES(v_YearMonthTemp, Usage_Row.LastMonth, 'TOTAL USAGE - ' || Usage_Row.Name);
  END IF;

IF v_MonthTemp = 0 THEN
  END IF;

ELSE
  END IF;

IF(v_Count = 0) THEN
                             VALUES(v_YearMonthTemp, Usage_Row.TwoMonthAgo, 'TOTAL USAGE - ' || Usage_Row.Name);
  END IF;

IF v_MonthTemp = 0 THEN
  END IF;

ELSE
  END IF;

IF(v_Count = 0) THEN
                             VALUES(v_YearMonthTemp, Usage_Row.ThreeMonthAgo, 'TOTAL USAGE - ' || Usage_Row.Name);
  END IF;

v_YearTemp := 0;

END Loop;

OPEN :p_RefCursor FOR
    SELECT YearMonth, TotUsage, Name
    FROM HWL_Variance_Temp
    Order By YearMonth;

DELETE FROM HWL_Variance_Temp;

END;

C# PROCEDURE
public static List<HWL_Variance> GetUsageChart(string acctNo, int route, bool hasAuxMeter, string srv)
        {
            List<HWL_Variance> usageList = new List<HWL_Variance>();

string script = "SPVARIANCE_GETUSAGECHART";

OracleConnection connection = HWLOracleDB.GetConnection();
            string sql = HWL_OracleScriptDB.GetScriptByName(script);
            OracleCommand selectCommand = new OracleCommand(sql, connection);
            selectCommand.BindByName = true;
            selectCommand.CommandType = CommandType.Text;

selectCommand.Parameters.Add(":p_AcctNo", OracleDbType.Varchar2).Value = acctNo;
            selectCommand.Parameters.Add(":p_Route", OracleDbType.Int32).Value = route;
            selectCommand.Parameters.Add(":p_HasAuxMeter", OracleDbType.Int32).Value = Convert.ToString(Convert.ToInt32(hasAuxMeter));
            selectCommand.Parameters.Add(":p_Srv", OracleDbType.Varchar2).Value = srv;
            selectCommand.Parameters.Add(":p_RefCursor", OracleDbType.RefCursor);
            selectCommand.Parameters[":p_RefCursor"].Direction = ParameterDirection.Output;

try
            {
                connection.Open();
                OracleDataReader reader = selectCommand.ExecuteReader();
                while (reader.Read())
                {
                    HWL_Variance usage = new HWL_Variance();
                    usage.YearMonth = reader["YearMonth"].ToString();
                    usage.TotUsage = Convert.ToInt32(reader["TotUsage"]);
                    usage.Name = reader["Name"].ToString();
                    usageList.Add(usage);
                }
                reader.Close();
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString());
            }
            finally
            {
                connection.Close();
            }

return usageList;
        }

Re: Global Temporary Tables [message #655826 is a reply to message #655822] Tue, 13 September 2016 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
with Oracle EVERYTHING is forbidden; except that which is explicitly granted.
In other words, your schema won't be able to CREATE PROCEDURE, SELECT, or even login without certain privileges having been granted.
You need to convince the folks who establish your schema to give it the privileges needed to complete your task.
Re: Global Temporary Tables [message #655827 is a reply to message #655822] Tue, 13 September 2016 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
derrellgore
Yeah I know....but I know I will be able to login...I know I'll be able to Select and I don't need to create procedures within Oracle which I demonstrated. Temp Tables is my only hangup...I will probably have to pull data over and then manipulate it.
Re: Global Temporary Tables [message #655828 is a reply to message #655827] Tue, 13 September 2016 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/SQLRF/statements_7002.htm#SQLRF01402

then search for "GLOBAL TEMPORARY"
Re: Global Temporary Tables [message #655829 is a reply to message #655828] Wed, 14 September 2016 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Perhaps you could install a (free) Oracle 11g Express Edition (XE) database on your computer (the one you use while programming in Visual Studio), create any Oracle objects you need (as XE is your own, you have all privileges you desire), establish a database link to the "original" database, fill your own structure with data and let Visual Studio work on it.
Re: Global Temporary Tables [message #655832 is a reply to message #655822] Wed, 14 September 2016 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You could ask your DBA to grant you the CREATE TABLE privilege, but without quota on any tablespace. That means that you will be able to create and use global temporary tables but will be unable to take up any permanent storage.
Re: Global Temporary Tables [message #655850 is a reply to message #655832] Wed, 14 September 2016 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
derrellgore
I also know I will have access to the database thru Crystal Reports. That is also new to me so not sure what capabilities that will give me yet.
Re: Global Temporary Tables [message #655851 is a reply to message #655832] Wed, 14 September 2016 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
I suspect that you will not even need a GTT. If you are coming from a sql server environment the use of temporary tables is common and necessary. The use of temporary tables in oracle is almost never needed. For example your procedure above can fairly easly be turned into a select using inline sub queries and functions. Don't keep using your bad habits from sql server, get the free express edition (see link below) and try to rewrite your code without GTT's

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-technologies/express-edition/downloads/index.html
Re: Global Temporary Tables [message #655860 is a reply to message #655851] Wed, 14 September 2016 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
derrellgore
So I rewrote the code...it is now much smaller and no Temp Table. I wrote a function to handle the YearMonth. I wanted to create function...run the code...and drop the function...but was unable to get that to work. Tried using Execute Immediate and that would NOT work. I could run the CREATE FUNCTION in a script by itself but not with the rest of the code following it. Is there a way to do that?

BEGIN

OPEN :p_RefCursor FOR
  SELECT distinct YearMonth, TotUsage, Name
  FROM
  (SELECT GetYearMonth(Year, Month) as YearMonth, TotUsage, Name FROM HWL_Variance Where AcctNo = :p_AcctNo AND   Route = :p_Route AND HasAuxMeter = :p_HasAuxMeter AND Srv = :p_Srv
  UNION 
  SELECT GetYearMonth(Year, Month - 1) as YearMonth, LastMonth AS TotUsage, Name FROM HWL_Variance Where AcctNo = :p_AcctNo AND Route = :p_Route AND HasAuxMeter = :p_HasAuxMeter AND Srv = :p_Srv
  UNION
  SELECT GetYearMonth(Year, Month - 2) as YearMonth, TwoMonthAgo AS TotUsage, Name FROM HWL_Variance Where AcctNo = :p_AcctNo AND Route = :p_Route AND HasAuxMeter = :p_HasAuxMeter AND Srv = :p_Srv
  UNION
  SELECT GetYearMonth(Year, Month - 3) as YearMonth, ThreeMonthAgo AS TotUsage, Name FROM HWL_Variance Where AcctNo = :p_AcctNo AND Route = :p_Route AND HasAuxMeter = :p_HasAuxMeter AND Srv = :p_Srv) 
  ORDER BY YearMonth;

END;

FUNCTION
create or replace FUNCTION GetYearMonth
(
  p_Year NUMBER,
  p_Month NUMBER
)
RETURN VARCHAR2
AS
  v_YearMonth VARCHAR2(50);

v_YearTemp  NUMBER;
  v_MonthTemp NUMBER;
BEGIN
  v_YearTemp := p_Year;
  v_MonthTemp := p_Month;

IF v_MonthTemp = 0 THEN
    v_YearTemp := p_Year - 1;
  END IF;

IF v_MonthTemp = -1 THEN
    v_MonthTemp := 11;
  END IF;

IF v_MonthTemp = -2 THEN
    v_MonthTemp := 10;
  END IF;

v_YearMonth := CAST(v_YearTemp AS VARCHAR2) || '/0' || CAST(v_MonthTemp as VARCHAR2);
  ELSE
    v_YearMonth := CAST(v_YearTemp AS VARCHAR2) || '/' || CAST(v_MonthTemp as VARCHAR2);
  END IF;

RETURN v_YearMonth;

END;

[Updated on: Wed, 14 September 2016 14:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Global Temporary Tables [message #655861 is a reply to message #655860] Wed, 14 September 2016 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
derrellgore
So now that I don't need Temp Tables anymore the big question will be can I create FUNCTIONS in the new system. SO might there be a way to write a function in a procedure and call it within the procedure?
Re: Global Temporary Tables [message #655863 is a reply to message #655861] Wed, 14 September 2016 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&q=oracle+create+function+privilege
Re: Global Temporary Tables [message #655864 is a reply to message #655863] Wed, 14 September 2016 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Or you could have appropriate privileged person CREATE FUNCTION in your schema; without granting you the privilege to do it yourself.
Re: Global Temporary Tables [message #655881 is a reply to message #655864] Thu, 15 September 2016 03:19 Go to previous message
cookiemonster
You can do what you're doing with existing oracle functions, no need for a custom one:
(case when month <= 0 then year else year -1 end)
||'/'||
lpad(case when month = 0 then 12 
          when month = -1 then 11
          when month = -2 then 10
          else month
          end
    , 2, '0')
And you can just put that in the outer select rather than each of the unioned inner selects.
Previous Topic: Data grouping
Next Topic: Enforce blank record
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:08:49 CDT 2024