Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » transposing of data in oracle (oracle 12 c)
transposing of data in oracle [message #653167] Tue, 28 June 2016 09:28 Go to next message
tolupuluri
Hi all,

I am new to this forum.

I am looking for the solution on transposing data from rows to columns, but with some special requirement.

I managed to search the forums and i have tried the same, but that will not fit for my requirement.

Attached is the sample data that i am working on and the desired output that i am looking for.
Please let me know some hints to achieve this.
thanks in advance.
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653170 is a reply to message #653167] Tue, 28 June 2016 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum. Please read our OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read

What suggestions did you find when you searched, and what SQL have you tried so far? You probably need to research PIVOT.
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653179 is a reply to message #653170] Tue, 28 June 2016 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tolupuluri
Hi John,

Thank you for your response.

I have gone through the forums using the search on "transposing the data"
and even the "PIVOT data" also.
But as of my example, i require something like the data to be transposed accordingly whenever there is some fixed value.
And i am looking for some procedure or function to perform this, as in real environment we don't know the number of rows present in the table.
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653181 is a reply to message #653179] Tue, 28 June 2016 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
The number of rows has nothing to do with pivoting. Please paste the contents of your text file in the issue. I will NOT download any non commercial file from the internet. It is not safe.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2016 10:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653189 is a reply to message #653181] Tue, 28 June 2016 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Bill B wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 11:14
The number of rows has nothing to do with pivoting.

It does if you are using pivoting to transpose. Many people confuse one for the other. Transposing is pivot where pivoting column is ROWID (in real life we create row enumeration and use it as pivoting column). Therefore, you can't transpose table that has 1,000+ rows.

SY.
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653214 is a reply to message #653167] Wed, 29 June 2016 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
The following is the contents of the sample data file that was attached, so that those who do not want to download it can see it. In the future, please copy and paste it into the forum as I have done here. Also, in the future, please provide create table and insert statements for the sample data and whatever you have tried. I am cutting you some slack here because it is your first post and it is a somewhat complex and interesting problem.

I have two tables (TABLE1 and TABLE2).

I need to transpose the data from TABLE1 to TABLE2.

Exmaple as below:

TABLE1 data looks like:

STDNO SUBJ       MARKS
---------- ----- ----------
         1 A             50 
         1 B            100 
         1 C             25 
         1 D             50 
         1 E            100 
         1 F             20 
         1 G             40 
         1 H             60 
         1 I             80 
         1 J            100 
         1 K            100 

11 rows selected 

And the TABLE2 data have to be like this:

STDNO SUBJ1     MARKS1 SUBJ2     MARKS2 SUBJ3     MARKS3 SUBJ4     MARKS4 SUBJ5     MARKS5
---------- ----- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ----------
         1 A             50 B            100                                                    
         1 C             25 D             50 E            100                                   
         1 F             20 G             40 H             60 I             80 J            100 
         1 K            100                                                                     

Transposing data from TABLE1 to TABLE2 and to split into new rows whenever the MARKS field has the value as '100'
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653215 is a reply to message #653167] Wed, 29 June 2016 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I have provided a few pivot methods for selecting the data. It is up to you to use them to create a second table or insert into a second table or whatever you plan to do with the results. The last two methods are dynamic and don't require hard-cording the number of columns.

-- test data:
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> SELECT * FROM table1
  2  /

STDNO SUBJ       MARKS
---------- ----- ----------
         1 A             50
         1 B            100
         1 C             25
         1 D             50
         1 E            100
         1 F             20
         1 G             40
         1 H             60
         1 I             80
         1 J            100
         1 K            100

11 rows selected.

-- older pivot method:
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> SELECT stdno,
  2  	    MAX (DECODE (rn, 1, subj)) subj1,
  3  	    SUM (DECODE (rn, 1, marks)) marks1,
  4  	    MAX (DECODE (rn, 2, subj)) subj2,
  5  	    SUM (DECODE (rn, 2, marks)) marks2,
  6  	    MAX (DECODE (rn, 3, subj)) subj3,
  7  	    SUM (DECODE (rn, 3, marks)) marks3,
  8  	    MAX (DECODE (rn, 4, subj)) subj4,
  9  	    SUM (DECODE (rn, 4, marks)) marks4,
 10  	    MAX (DECODE (rn, 5, subj)) subj5,
 11  	    SUM (DECODE (rn, 5, marks)) marks5
 12  FROM   (SELECT stdno, subj, marks, groups,
 13  		    ROW_NUMBER () OVER
 14  		      (PARTITION BY stdno, groups ORDER BY subj) rn
 15  	     FROM   (SELECT stdno, subj, marks,
 16  			    SUM (DECODE (lag_marks, 100, 1, 0)) OVER
 17  			      (PARTITION BY stdno ORDER BY subj) groups
 18  		     FROM   (SELECT stdno, subj, marks,
 19  				    LAG (marks) OVER (PARTITION BY stdno ORDER BY subj) lag_marks
 20  			     FROM   table1)))
 21  GROUP  BY stdno, groups
 22  ORDER  BY stdno, subj1
 23  /

STDNO SUBJ1     MARKS1 SUBJ2     MARKS2 SUBJ3     MARKS3 SUBJ4     MARKS4 SUBJ5     MARKS5
---------- ----- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ----------
         1 A             50 B            100
         1 C             25 D             50 E            100
         1 F             20 G             40 H             60 I             80 J            100
         1 K            100

4 rows selected.

-- newer pivot method:
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> SELECT *
  2  FROM   (SELECT stdno, subj, marks, groups,
  3  		    ROW_NUMBER () OVER
  4  		      (PARTITION BY stdno, groups ORDER BY subj) rn
  5  	     FROM   (SELECT stdno, subj, marks,
  6  			    SUM (DECODE (lag_marks, 100, 1, 0)) OVER
  7  			      (PARTITION BY stdno ORDER BY subj) groups
  8  		     FROM   (SELECT stdno, subj, marks,
  9  				    NVL (LAG (marks) OVER (PARTITION BY stdno ORDER BY subj), 100) lag_marks
 10  			     FROM   table1)))
 11  PIVOT  (MAX (subj) AS subj, SUM (marks) AS marks
 12  	     FOR rn IN (1, 2, 3, 4, 5))
 13  ORDER  BY stdno, groups
 14  /

STDNO     GROUPS 1_SUB    1_MARKS 2_SUB    2_MARKS 3_SUB    3_MARKS 4_SUB    4_MARKS 5_SUB    5_MARKS
---------- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ----------
         1          1 A             50 B            100
         1          2 C             25 D             50 E            100
         1          3 F             20 G             40 H             60 I             80 J            100
         1          4 K            100

4 rows selected.

-- dynammic generation and execution of above method:
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> VARIABLE g_ref REFCURSOR
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> DECLARE
  2    v_sql  CLOB;
  3  BEGIN
  4    v_sql :=
  5  	 'SELECT *
  6  	  FROM	 (SELECT stdno, subj, marks, groups,
  7  			 ROW_NUMBER () OVER
  8  			   (PARTITION BY stdno, groups ORDER BY subj) rn
  9  		  FROM	 (SELECT stdno, subj, marks,
 10  				 SUM (DECODE (lag_marks, 100, 1, 0)) OVER
 11  				   (PARTITION BY stdno ORDER BY subj) groups
 12  			  FROM	 (SELECT stdno, subj, marks,
 13  					 NVL (LAG (marks) OVER (PARTITION BY stdno ORDER BY subj), 100) lag_marks
 14  				  FROM	 table1)))
 15  	  PIVOT  (MAX (subj) AS subj, SUM (marks) AS marks
 16  	     FOR rn IN (';
 17    FOR r IN
 18  	 (SELECT DISTINCT (ROW_NUMBER () OVER (PARTITION BY stdno, groups ORDER BY subj)) rn
 19  	  FROM	 (SELECT stdno, subj, marks,
 20  			 SUM (DECODE (lag_marks, 100, 1, 0)) OVER
 21  			   (PARTITION BY stdno ORDER BY subj) groups
 22  		  FROM	 (SELECT stdno, subj, marks,
 23  				 NVL (LAG (marks) OVER (PARTITION BY stdno ORDER BY subj), 100) lag_marks
 24  			  FROM	 table1))
 25  	  ORDER  BY rn)
 26    LOOP
 27  	 v_sql := v_sql || r.rn || ',';
 28    END LOOP;
 29    v_sql := RTRIM (v_sql, ',') || ')) ORDER BY stdno, groups';
 30    --DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE (v_sql);
 31    OPEN :g_ref FOR v_sql;
 32  END;
 33  /

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> PRINT g_ref

STDNO     GROUPS 1_SUB    1_MARKS 2_SUB    2_MARKS 3_SUB    3_MARKS 4_SUB    4_MARKS 5_SUB    5_MARKS
---------- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ---------- ----- ----------
         1          1 A             50 B            100
         1          2 C             25 D             50 E            100
         1          3 F             20 G             40 H             60 I             80 J            100
         1          4 K            100

4 rows selected.

-- dynamic pivot method:
-- Download Anton Scheffer's dynamic pivot function from
-- https://technology.amis.nl/wp-content/uploads/images/antonsPivoting.zip
-- Unzip it and run pivotfun.sql to create the funciton.
-- I edited the function to change the name from pivot to pivotfun to avoid conflict with an existing Oracle name
-- and commented out the dbms_output lines from the object before running it.
-- When you use it, it requires that you provide an alias for the aggregate in the query that you pass to it.
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> SELECT *
  2  FROM   TABLE (pivotfun (
  3  	      'SELECT stdno, groups, rn, MAX (subjmarks) subjmarks
  4  	       FROM   (SELECT stdno, subj || ''='' || marks subjmarks, groups,
  5  			      ''subj=marks'' || ROW_NUMBER () OVER
  6  				(PARTITION BY stdno, groups ORDER BY subj) rn
  7  		       FROM   (SELECT stdno, subj, marks,
  8  				      SUM (DECODE (lag_marks, 100, 1, 0)) OVER
  9  					(PARTITION BY stdno ORDER BY subj) groups
 10  			       FROM   (SELECT stdno, subj, marks,
 11  					      NVL (LAG (marks) OVER (PARTITION BY stdno ORDER BY subj), 100) lag_marks
 12  				       FROM   table1)))
 13  	       GROUP  BY stdno, groups, rn' ) )
 14  ORDER  BY stdno, groups
 15  /

STDNO     GROUPS SUBJ=MARKS1 SUBJ=MARKS2 SUBJ=MARKS3 SUBJ=MARKS4 SUBJ=MARKS5
---------- ---------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- -----------
         1          1 A=50        B=100
         1          2 C=25        D=50        E=100
         1          3 F=20        G=40        H=60        I=80        J=100
         1          4 K=100

4 rows selected.
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653230 is a reply to message #653215] Wed, 29 June 2016 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Barbara,

ODCI table interface method ODCITableDescribe is called at HARD parse time only. And because it is called at parse time we can't pass expressions as ODCITableDescribe parameters. Only literals will be passed and expressions will be substituted with NULL. Anton knows that, however he doesn't explain it in his examples (and I believe in article itself). Look at pivot.sql script in that zip file you referenced:

select * from table( pivot(  'select deptno, job, decode (count(1),0,null, count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno, job' ) )
/
select * from table( pivot(  'select deptno, job, decode (count(1),0,null, count(1+0)) count_job from emp group by deptno, job' ) )

Notice first call to pivot p has count(1) in select passed to pivot as parameter and second call has count(1+0)? That's the "trick" Anton uses to get correct results after he added new job QUIZMSTER to emp table. Look what happens if we pass exactly same query:

SQL> select * from table(pivot('select deptno,job,decode(count(1),0,null,count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno,job'))
  2  /

DEPTNO ANALYST    CLERK      MANAGER    PRESIDENT  SALESMAN
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
        30            1          1                     4
        20 2          2          1
        10            1          1          1

SQL> insert into emp
  2  ( empno, deptno, job, ename)
  3  values
  4  ( 1112, 30, 'QUIZMSTER', 'ALEX')
  5  /

1 row created.

SQL> select * from table(pivot('select deptno,job,decode(count(1),0,null,count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno,job'))
  2  /

SQL> 

No QUIZMSTER. Why? First time we issued that statement Oracle checked shared pool and didn't find it. So hard parse was done and ODCITableDescribe was called which determined there are 5 distinct jobs in emp table and therefore defined 5 columns. Then we added new job QUIZMSTER and issued same select. Oracle again checked shared pool and this time it found same statement and therefore did soft parse which means ODCITableDescribe was not called and therefore same 5 columns were reused. By changing statement (even by one character, e.g. number of spaces between tokens) we are forcing (subject to CURSOR_SHARING) Oracle into treating logically same statement as new one thus performing hard parse which will call ODCITableDescribe and number of distinct jobs in emp table and therefore number of columns will be recalculated. I will simply add space in front of select:

SQL> column quizmster format a10
SQL> select * from table(pivot(' select deptno,job,decode(count(1),0,null,count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno,job'))
  2  /

DEPTNO ANALYST    CLERK      MANAGER    PRESIDENT  QUIZMSTER  SALESMAN
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
        30            1          1                     1          4

SQL> 

As you can see, we need to generate new statement (text-wise) each time to guarantee right results. In SQL*PLus it can be done via substitution variables. For example:

SQL> create sequence force_hard_parse
  2  /

Sequence created.

SQL> column force_hard_parse new_value force_hard_parse noprint
SQL> select  force_hard_parse.nextval force_hard_parse
  2    from  dual
  3  /

SQL> select * from table(pivot('select deptno,job,decode(count(1),0,null,count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno,job /* &force_hard_parse */'))
  2  /
old   1: select * from table(pivot('select deptno,job,decode(count(1),0,null,count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno,job /* &for
new   1: select * from table(pivot('select deptno,job,decode(count(1),0,null,count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno,job /*          1 

SQL> insert into emp
  3  values
  5  /

1 row created.

SQL> select  force_hard_parse.nextval force_hard_parse
  2    from  dual
  3  /

SQL> select * from table(pivot('select deptno,job,decode(count(1),0,null,count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno,job /* &force_hard_parse */'))
  2  /
old   1: select * from table(pivot('select deptno,job,decode(count(1),0,null,count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno,job /* &for
new   1: select * from table(pivot('select deptno,job,decode(count(1),0,null,count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno,job /*          2 

DEPTNO ANALYST    CLERK      MANAGER    PRESIDENT  QUIZMSTER  SALESMAN
        30            1          1                     1          4

SQL> 

OP will have to implement something like that otherwise your solution using Anton's pivotfun will not produce right results. And price of dynamic pivoting via ODCI table interface is forcing hard parse each time dynamic pivot is used and what can be even more costly littering shared pool with all these versions of same statement thus affecting parse time of all statements issued against the database.

SY.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2016 08:59]

Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653232 is a reply to message #653230] Wed, 29 June 2016 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Hi Solomon,

Thanks for the explanation and demonstration. I understand the drawbacks now and it looks like they outweigh the benefits. How disappointing. It would be so nice to be able to not have to anticipate how many columns to allow for and list them and also be able to return the results via a SQL select statement. I guess our choices are either list the columns in static SQL or generate the query dynamically and return the results via ref cursor. It's too bad that we can't use a select statement for the IN list with PIVOT like we can with PIVOT XML. Are there any other new and better methods that I have not heard of?

Regards,
Barbara
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653234 is a reply to message #653232] Wed, 29 June 2016 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Well, I am not that disappointed since I see no need for dynamic pivot anywhere but reporting and reporting tools have much more sophisticated pivoting than SQL does.

SY.
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653235 is a reply to message #653234] Wed, 29 June 2016 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
Why can't you just purge the one sql from the shared pool. This should work in version 10.2 and above. put the code at the very end of the pivotfun procedure.

DECLARE
X_KILL  VARCHAR2(100);

BEGIN

SELECT B.ADDRESS || ' , '|| B.HASH_VALUE
INTO X_KILL
FROM   v$session a,v$sqlarea b
WHERE a.SID = userenv('SID')
AND UPPER(b.SQL_TEXT) LIKE '%PIVOTFUN%'
AND a.sql_id = b.sql_id; 

DBMS_SHARED_POOL.PURGE (X_KILL, 'C');

END;

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2016 16:33]

Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653236 is a reply to message #653235] Wed, 29 June 2016 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
You could. It would resolve shared pool "littering" issue but you can't avoid hard parsing each time. But I would think twice before granting users execute on DBMS_SHARED_POOL.

SY.
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653257 is a reply to message #653236] Thu, 30 June 2016 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
I don't propose giving access to DBMS_SHARED_POOL to anyone but the pivotfun function which I would put into sys or system.
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653276 is a reply to message #653257] Thu, 30 June 2016 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Bill,

It sounds like a good idea. I had to remove the spaces from around the concatenated comma. If I run it anywhere between queries, then I get correct results, as shown below. However, you said to add it to the pivotfun procedure. Pivotfun is not a procedure; It is a pipelined function that uses an object type named pivotimpl. I can't figure out where inside the function to add the code you provided. You can't just add it to the end of the code inside such a function. Could you please advise where to put it?

Thanks,
Barbara

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> drop function pivotfun
  2  /

Function dropped.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> drop type pivotimpl
  2  /

Type dropped.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> 
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> CREATE OR REPLACE
  2  type PivotImpl as object
  3  (
  4    ret_type anytype,      -- The return type of the table function
  5    stmt varchar2(32767),
  6    fmt  varchar2(32767),
  7    cur integer,
  8    static function ODCITableDescribe( rtype out anytype, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
  9    return number,
 10    static function ODCITablePrepare( sctx out PivotImpl, ti in sys.ODCITabFuncInfo, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
 11    return number,
 12    static function ODCITableStart( sctx in out PivotImpl, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
 13    return number,
 14    member function ODCITableFetch( self in out PivotImpl, nrows in number, outset out anydataset )
 15    return number,
 16    member function ODCITableClose( self in PivotImpl )
 17    return number
 18  )
 19  /

Type created.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> show errors
No errors.
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> create or replace type body PivotImpl as
  2    static function ODCITableDescribe( rtype out anytype, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number )
  3    return number
  4    is
  5  	 atyp anytype;
  6  	 cur integer;
  7  	 numcols number;
  8  	 desc_tab dbms_sql.desc_tab2;
  9  	 rc sys_refcursor;
 10  	 t_c2 varchar2(32767);
 11  	 t_fmt varchar2(1000);
 12    begin
 13  	 cur := dbms_sql.open_cursor;
 14  	 dbms_sql.parse( cur, p_stmt, dbms_sql.native );
 15  	 dbms_sql.describe_columns2( cur, numcols, desc_tab );
 16  	 dbms_sql.close_cursor( cur );
 17  --
 18  	 anytype.begincreate( dbms_types.typecode_object, atyp );
 19  	     for i in 1 .. numcols - 2
 20  	     loop
 21  	   atyp.addattr( desc_tab( i ).col_name
 22  		       , case desc_tab( i ).col_type
 23  			   when 1   then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2
 24  			   when 2   then dbms_types.typecode_number
 25  			   when 9   then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2
 26  			   when 11  then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2  -- show rowid as varchar2
 27  			   when 12  then dbms_types.typecode_date
 28  			   when 208 then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2  -- show urowid as varchar2
 29  			   when 96  then dbms_types.typecode_char
 30  			   when 180 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp
 31  			   when 181 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz
 32  			   when 231 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz
 33  			   when 182 then dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym
 34  			   when 183 then dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds
 35  			 end
 36  		       , desc_tab( i ).col_precision
 37  		       , desc_tab( i ).col_scale
 38  		       , case desc_tab( i ).col_type
 39  			   when 11 then 18  -- for rowid col_max_len = 16, and 18 characters are shown
 40  			   else desc_tab( i ).col_max_len
 41  			 end
 42  		       , desc_tab( i ).col_charsetid
 43  		       , desc_tab( i ).col_charsetform
 44  		       );
 45  	     end loop;
 46  	 if instr( p_fmt, '@p@' ) > 0
 47  	 then
 48  	   t_fmt := p_fmt;
 49  	 else
 50  	   t_fmt := '@p@';
 51  	 end if;
 52  	 open rc for replace( 'select distinct ' || t_fmt || '
 53  				   from( ' || p_stmt || ' )
 54  					       order by ' || t_fmt
 55  						, '@p@'
 56  			    , desc_tab( numcols - 1 ).col_name
 57  						);
 58  	     loop
 59  	   fetch rc into t_c2;
 60  	       exit when rc%notfound;
 61  	   atyp.addattr( t_c2
 62  		       , case desc_tab( numcols ).col_type
 63  			 when 1   then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2
 64  			 when 2   then dbms_types.typecode_number
 65  			 when 9   then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2
 66  			 when 11  then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2  -- show rowid as varchar2
 67  			 when 12  then dbms_types.typecode_date
 68  			 when 208 then dbms_types.typecode_urowid
 69  			 when 96  then dbms_types.typecode_char
 70  			 when 180 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp
 71  			 when 181 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz
 72  			 when 231 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz
 73  			 when 182 then dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym
 74  			 when 183 then dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds
 75  		       end
 76  		     , desc_tab( numcols ).col_precision
 77  		     , desc_tab( numcols ).col_scale
 78  		     , case desc_tab( numcols ).col_type
 79  			 when 11 then 18  -- for rowid col_max_len = 16, and 18 characters are shown
 80  			 else desc_tab( numcols ).col_max_len
 81  		       end
 82  		     , desc_tab( numcols ).col_charsetid
 83  		     , desc_tab( numcols ).col_charsetform
 84  		       );
 85  	 end loop;
 86  	     close rc;
 87  	 atyp.endcreate;
 88  	 anytype.begincreate( dbms_types.typecode_table, rtype );
 89  	 rtype.SetInfo( null, null, null, null, null, atyp, dbms_types.typecode_object, 0 );
 90  	 rtype.endcreate();
 91  	 return odciconst.success;
 92    exception
 93  	 when others then
 94  	   return odciconst.error;
 95    end;
 96  --
 97    static function ODCITablePrepare( sctx out PivotImpl, ti in sys.ODCITabFuncInfo, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number )
 98    return number
 99    is
100  	 prec	  pls_integer;
101  	 scale	  pls_integer;
102  	 len	  pls_integer;
103  	 csid	  pls_integer;
104  	 csfrm	  pls_integer;
105  	 elem_typ anytype;
106  	 aname	  varchar2(30);
107  	 tc	  pls_integer;
108    begin
109  	 tc := ti.RetType.GetAttrElemInfo( 1, prec, scale, len, csid, csfrm, elem_typ, aname );
110  --
111  	 if instr( p_fmt, '@p@' ) > 0
112  	 then
113  	   sctx := PivotImpl( elem_typ, p_stmt, p_fmt, null );
114  	 else
115  	   sctx := PivotImpl( elem_typ, p_stmt, '@p@', null );
116  	 end if;
117  	 return odciconst.success;
118    end;
119  --
120    static function ODCITableStart( sctx in out PivotImpl, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number )
121    return number
122    is
123  	 cur	     integer;
124  	 numcols     number;
125  	 desc_tab    dbms_sql.desc_tab2;
126  	 t_stmt      varchar2(32767);
127  	 type_code   pls_integer;
128  	 prec	     pls_integer;
129  	 scale	     pls_integer;
130  	 len	     pls_integer;
131  	 csid	     pls_integer;
132  	 csfrm	     pls_integer;
133  	 schema_name varchar2(30);
134  	 type_name   varchar2(30);
135  	 version     varchar2(30);
136  	 attr_count  pls_integer;
137  	 attr_type   anytype;
138  	 attr_name   varchar2(100);
139  	 dummy2      integer;
140    begin
141  	 cur := dbms_sql.open_cursor;
142  	 dbms_sql.parse( cur, p_stmt, dbms_sql.native );
143  	 dbms_sql.describe_columns2( cur, numcols, desc_tab );
144  	 dbms_sql.close_cursor( cur );
145  --
146  	     for i in 1 .. numcols - 2
147  	     loop
148  	   t_stmt := t_stmt || ', "' || desc_tab( i ).col_name || '"';
149  	     end loop;
150  --
151  	 type_code := sctx.ret_type.getinfo( prec
152  					   , scale
153  					   , len
154  					   , csid
155  					   , csfrm
156  					   , schema_name
157  					   , type_name
158  					   , version
159  					   , attr_count
160  					   );
161  	 for i in numcols - 1 .. attr_count
162  	 loop
163  	   type_code := sctx.ret_type.getattreleminfo( i
164  						      , prec
165  						      , scale
166  						      , len
167  						      , csid
168  						      , csfrm
169  						      , attr_type
170  						      , attr_name
171  						      );
172  	   t_stmt := t_stmt || replace( ', max( decode( ' || sctx.fmt || ', ''' || attr_name || ''', ' || desc_tab( numcols ).col_name || ' ) )'
173  					  , '@p@'
174  					      , desc_tab( numcols - 1 ).col_name
175  							      );
176  	     end loop;
177  	     t_stmt := 'select ' || substr( t_stmt, 2 ) || ' from ( ' || sctx.stmt || ' )';
178  	     for i in 1 .. numcols - 2
179  	     loop
180  	       if i = 1
181  	       then
182  	     t_stmt := t_stmt || ' group by "' || desc_tab( i ).col_name || '"';
183  	       else
184  	     t_stmt := t_stmt || ', "' || desc_tab( i ).col_name || '"';
185  	       end if;
186  	     end loop;
187  --
188  --dbms_output.put_line( t_stmt );
189  	 sctx.cur := dbms_sql.open_cursor;
190  	 dbms_sql.parse( sctx.cur, t_stmt, dbms_sql.native );
191  	 for i in 1 .. attr_count
192  	 loop
193  	   type_code := sctx.ret_type.getattreleminfo( i
194  						      , prec
195  						      , scale
196  						      , len
197  						      , csid
198  						      , csfrm
199  						      , attr_type
200  						      , attr_name
201  						      );
202  	   case type_code
203  	     when dbms_types.typecode_char	    then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, 'x', 32767 );
204  	     when dbms_types.typecode_varchar2	    then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, 'x', 32767 );
205  	     when dbms_types.typecode_number	    then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as number ) );
206  	     when dbms_types.typecode_date	    then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as date ) );
207  	     when dbms_types.typecode_urowid	    then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as urowid ) );
208  	     when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp     then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as timestamp ) );
209  	     when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz  then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as timestamp with time zone ) );
210  	     when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as timestamp with local time zone ) );
211  	     when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym   then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as interval year to month ) );
212  	     when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds   then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as interval day to second ) );
213  	   end case;
214  	     end loop;
215  	 dummy2 := dbms_sql.execute( sctx.cur );
216  	 return odciconst.success;
217    end;
218  --
219    member function ODCITableFetch( self in out PivotImpl, nrows in number, outset out anydataset )
220    return number
221    is
222  	 c1_col_type pls_integer;
223  	 type_code   pls_integer;
224  	 prec	     pls_integer;
225  	 scale	     pls_integer;
226  	 len	     pls_integer;
227  	 csid	     pls_integer;
228  	 csfrm	     pls_integer;
229  	 schema_name varchar2(30);
230  	 type_name   varchar2(30);
231  	 version     varchar2(30);
232  	 attr_count  pls_integer;
233  	 attr_type   anytype;
234  	 attr_name   varchar2(100);
235  	 v1	varchar2(32767);
236  	 n1	number;
237  	 d1	date;
238  	 ur1	urowid;
239  	 ids1	interval day to second;
240  	 iym1	interval year to month;
241  	 ts1	timestamp;
242  	 tstz1	timestamp with time zone;
243  	 tsltz1 timestamp with local time zone;
244    begin
245  	 outset := null;
246  	 if nrows < 1
247  	 then
248  -- is this possible???
249  	   return odciconst.success;
250  	 end if;
251  --
252  --dbms_output.put_line( 'fetch' );
253  	 if dbms_sql.fetch_rows( self.cur ) = 0
254  	 then
255  	   return odciconst.success;
256  	 end if;
257  --
258  --dbms_output.put_line( 'done' );
259  	 type_code := self.ret_type.getinfo( prec
260  					   , scale
261  					   , len
262  					   , csid
263  					   , csfrm
264  					   , schema_name
265  					   , type_name
266  					   , version
267  					   , attr_count
268  					   );
269  	 anydataset.begincreate( dbms_types.typecode_object, self.ret_type, outset );
270  	 outset.addinstance;
271  	 outset.piecewise();
272  	 for i in 1 .. attr_count
273  	 loop
274  	   type_code := self.ret_type.getattreleminfo( i
275  						      , prec
276  						      , scale
277  						      , len
278  						      , csid
279  						      , csfrm
280  						      , attr_type
281  						      , attr_name
282  						      );
283  --dbms_output.put_line( attr_name );
284  	     case type_code
285  	       when dbms_types.typecode_char then
286  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, v1 );
287  		 outset.setchar( v1 );
288  	       when dbms_types.typecode_varchar2 then
289  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, v1 );
290  		 outset.setvarchar2( v1 );
291  	       when dbms_types.typecode_number then
292  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, n1 );
293  		 outset.setnumber( n1 );
294  	       when dbms_types.typecode_date then
295  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, d1 );
296  		 outset.setdate( d1 );
297  	       when dbms_types.typecode_urowid then
298  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, ur1 );
299  		 outset.seturowid( ur1 );
300  	       when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds then
301  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, ids1 );
303  	 outset.setintervalds( ids1 );
304  	       when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym then
305  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, iym1 );
306  		 outset.setintervalym( iym1 );
307  	       when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp then
308  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, ts1 );
309  		 outset.settimestamp( ts1 );
310  	       when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz then
311  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, tstz1 );
312  		 outset.settimestamptz( tstz1 );
313  	       when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz then
314  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, tsltz1 );
315  		 outset.settimestampltz( tsltz1 );
316  	     end case;
317  	 end loop;
318  	 outset.endcreate;
319  	 return odciconst.success;
320    end;
321  --
322    member function ODCITableClose( self in PivotImpl )
323    return number
324    is
325  	 c integer;
326    begin
327  	 c := self.cur;
328  	 dbms_sql.close_cursor( c );
329  	 return odciconst.success;
330    end;
331  end;
332  /

Type body created.

No errors.
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> create or replace function pivotfun
  2    (p_stmt in varchar2,
  3  	p_fmt  in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)',
  4  	dummy  in number := 0)
  5    return anydataset pipelined using PivotImpl;
  6  /

Function created.

No errors.
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> select *
  2  from   table (pivotfun (
  3  	      'select deptno, job, count(*) count_job
  4  	       from   emp
  5  	       group  by deptno, job'))
  6  order  by deptno
  7  /

DEPTNO    ANALYST      CLERK    MANAGER  PRESIDENT   SALESMAN
        10                     1          1          1
        20          2          2          1
        30                     1          1                     4

3 rows selected.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> DECLARE
  2    X_KILL  VARCHAR2(100);
  3  BEGIN
  4    SELECT B.ADDRESS || ',' || B.HASH_VALUE
  5    INTO   X_KILL
  6    FROM   v$session a,v$sqlarea b
  7    WHERE  a.SID = userenv('SID')
  8    AND    UPPER(b.SQL_TEXT) LIKE '%PIVOTFUN%'
  9    AND    a.sql_id = b.sql_id;
 10    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('X_KILL:  ' || X_KILL);
 11    SYS.DBMS_SHARED_POOL.PURGE (X_KILL, 'C');
 12  END;
 13  /
X_KILL:  00007FFB12618228,58510759

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> insert into emp
  3  values
  5  /

1 row created.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> commit
  2  /

Commit complete.

4  	       from   emp
  6  order  by deptno
  7  /

DEPTNO    ANALYST      CLERK    MANAGER  PRESIDENT  QUIZMSTER   SALESMAN
        30                     1          1                     1          4

3 rows selected.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> delete from emp where empno =  1112
  2  /

1 row deleted.

2  /

Commit complete.

Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653278 is a reply to message #653276] Thu, 30 June 2016 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
The ODCITableClose is the last function called during the call and is used for cleanup. If you put the code just after the

dbms_sql.close_cursor( c );

The code should work. Also if the PivotImpl type nd type body is placed in system you only have to make the pivotfun procedure executable by public and make a public synonym and since it is being run from system it should be able to run the dbms_shared_pool without granting it to anyone else since the AUTHID is definer.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 June 2016 16:06]

Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653282 is a reply to message #653278] Thu, 30 June 2016 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Bill,

That works. You should tell Anton. I think a lot of people might want to use it with this problem solved. Oracle might even want to include it in a future version.

Barbara

SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> -- by Anton Scheffer
SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> -- downloaded https://technology.amis.nl/wp-content/uploads/images/antonsPivoting.zip
SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> -- unzipped
SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> -- edited pivotfun.sql:
SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> --   changed function name from pivot to pivotfun to avoid conflict with existing Oracle name
SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> --   commented out dbms_output lines in pivotimpl
SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> --   added section to purge from shared pool as suggested by Bill B at:
SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> --   http://www.orafaq.com/forum/mv/msg/201346/653235/#msg_653235
SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> CREATE OR REPLACE
  2  type PivotImpl as object
  3  (
  4    ret_type anytype,      -- The return type of the table function
  5    stmt varchar2(32767),
  6    fmt  varchar2(32767),
  7    cur integer,
  8    static function ODCITableDescribe( rtype out anytype, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
  9    return number,
 10    static function ODCITablePrepare( sctx out PivotImpl, ti in sys.ODCITabFuncInfo, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
 11    return number,
 12    static function ODCITableStart( sctx in out PivotImpl, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
 13    return number,
 14    member function ODCITableFetch( self in out PivotImpl, nrows in number, outset out anydataset )
 15    return number,
 16    member function ODCITableClose( self in PivotImpl )
 17    return number
 18  )
 19  /

Type created.

SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> show errors
No errors.
SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> create or replace type body PivotImpl as
  2    static function ODCITableDescribe( rtype out anytype, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number )
  3    return number
  4    is
  5  	 atyp anytype;
  6  	 cur integer;
  7  	 numcols number;
  8  	 desc_tab dbms_sql.desc_tab2;
  9  	 rc sys_refcursor;
 10  	 t_c2 varchar2(32767);
 11  	 t_fmt varchar2(1000);
 12    begin
 13  	 cur := dbms_sql.open_cursor;
 14  	 dbms_sql.parse( cur, p_stmt, dbms_sql.native );
 15  	 dbms_sql.describe_columns2( cur, numcols, desc_tab );
 16  	 dbms_sql.close_cursor( cur );
 17  --
 18  	 anytype.begincreate( dbms_types.typecode_object, atyp );
 19  	     for i in 1 .. numcols - 2
 20  	     loop
 21  	   atyp.addattr( desc_tab( i ).col_name
 22  		       , case desc_tab( i ).col_type
 23  			   when 1   then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2
 24  			   when 2   then dbms_types.typecode_number
 25  			   when 9   then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2
 26  			   when 11  then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2  -- show rowid as varchar2
 27  			   when 12  then dbms_types.typecode_date
 28  			   when 208 then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2  -- show urowid as varchar2
 29  			   when 96  then dbms_types.typecode_char
 30  			   when 180 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp
 31  			   when 181 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz
 32  			   when 231 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz
 33  			   when 182 then dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym
 34  			   when 183 then dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds
 35  			 end
 36  		       , desc_tab( i ).col_precision
 37  		       , desc_tab( i ).col_scale
 38  		       , case desc_tab( i ).col_type
 39  			   when 11 then 18  -- for rowid col_max_len = 16, and 18 characters are shown
 40  			   else desc_tab( i ).col_max_len
 41  			 end
 42  		       , desc_tab( i ).col_charsetid
 43  		       , desc_tab( i ).col_charsetform
 44  		       );
 45  	     end loop;
 46  	 if instr( p_fmt, '@p@' ) > 0
 47  	 then
 48  	   t_fmt := p_fmt;
 49  	 else
 50  	   t_fmt := '@p@';
 51  	 end if;
 52  	 open rc for replace( 'select distinct ' || t_fmt || '
 53  				   from( ' || p_stmt || ' )
 54  					       order by ' || t_fmt
 55  						, '@p@'
 56  			    , desc_tab( numcols - 1 ).col_name
 57  						);
 58  	     loop
 59  	   fetch rc into t_c2;
 60  	       exit when rc%notfound;
 61  	   atyp.addattr( t_c2
 62  		       , case desc_tab( numcols ).col_type
 63  			 when 1   then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2
 64  			 when 2   then dbms_types.typecode_number
 65  			 when 9   then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2
 66  			 when 11  then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2  -- show rowid as varchar2
 67  			 when 12  then dbms_types.typecode_date
 68  			 when 208 then dbms_types.typecode_urowid
 69  			 when 96  then dbms_types.typecode_char
 70  			 when 180 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp
 71  			 when 181 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz
 72  			 when 231 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz
 73  			 when 182 then dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym
 74  			 when 183 then dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds
 75  		       end
 76  		     , desc_tab( numcols ).col_precision
 77  		     , desc_tab( numcols ).col_scale
 78  		     , case desc_tab( numcols ).col_type
 79  			 when 11 then 18  -- for rowid col_max_len = 16, and 18 characters are shown
 80  			 else desc_tab( numcols ).col_max_len
 81  		       end
 82  		     , desc_tab( numcols ).col_charsetid
 83  		     , desc_tab( numcols ).col_charsetform
 84  		       );
 85  	 end loop;
 86  	     close rc;
 87  	 atyp.endcreate;
 88  	 anytype.begincreate( dbms_types.typecode_table, rtype );
 89  	 rtype.SetInfo( null, null, null, null, null, atyp, dbms_types.typecode_object, 0 );
 90  	 rtype.endcreate();
 91  	 return odciconst.success;
 92    exception
 93  	 when others then
 94  	   return odciconst.error;
 95    end;
 96  --
 97    static function ODCITablePrepare( sctx out PivotImpl, ti in sys.ODCITabFuncInfo, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number )
 98    return number
 99    is
100  	 prec	  pls_integer;
101  	 scale	  pls_integer;
102  	 len	  pls_integer;
103  	 csid	  pls_integer;
104  	 csfrm	  pls_integer;
105  	 elem_typ anytype;
106  	 aname	  varchar2(30);
107  	 tc	  pls_integer;
108    begin
109  	 tc := ti.RetType.GetAttrElemInfo( 1, prec, scale, len, csid, csfrm, elem_typ, aname );
110  --
111  	 if instr( p_fmt, '@p@' ) > 0
112  	 then
113  	   sctx := PivotImpl( elem_typ, p_stmt, p_fmt, null );
114  	 else
115  	   sctx := PivotImpl( elem_typ, p_stmt, '@p@', null );
116  	 end if;
117  	 return odciconst.success;
118    end;
119  --
120    static function ODCITableStart( sctx in out PivotImpl, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number )
121    return number
122    is
123  	 cur	     integer;
124  	 numcols     number;
125  	 desc_tab    dbms_sql.desc_tab2;
126  	 t_stmt      varchar2(32767);
127  	 type_code   pls_integer;
128  	 prec	     pls_integer;
129  	 scale	     pls_integer;
130  	 len	     pls_integer;
131  	 csid	     pls_integer;
132  	 csfrm	     pls_integer;
133  	 schema_name varchar2(30);
134  	 type_name   varchar2(30);
135  	 version     varchar2(30);
136  	 attr_count  pls_integer;
137  	 attr_type   anytype;
138  	 attr_name   varchar2(100);
139  	 dummy2      integer;
140    begin
141  	 cur := dbms_sql.open_cursor;
142  	 dbms_sql.parse( cur, p_stmt, dbms_sql.native );
143  	 dbms_sql.describe_columns2( cur, numcols, desc_tab );
144  	 dbms_sql.close_cursor( cur );
145  --
146  	     for i in 1 .. numcols - 2
147  	     loop
148  	   t_stmt := t_stmt || ', "' || desc_tab( i ).col_name || '"';
149  	     end loop;
150  --
151  	 type_code := sctx.ret_type.getinfo( prec
152  					   , scale
153  					   , len
154  					   , csid
155  					   , csfrm
156  					   , schema_name
157  					   , type_name
158  					   , version
159  					   , attr_count
160  					   );
161  	 for i in numcols - 1 .. attr_count
162  	 loop
163  	   type_code := sctx.ret_type.getattreleminfo( i
164  						      , prec
165  						      , scale
166  						      , len
167  						      , csid
168  						      , csfrm
169  						      , attr_type
170  						      , attr_name
171  						      );
172  	   t_stmt := t_stmt || replace( ', max( decode( ' || sctx.fmt || ', ''' || attr_name || ''', ' || desc_tab( numcols ).col_name || ' ) )'
173  					  , '@p@'
174  					      , desc_tab( numcols - 1 ).col_name
175  							      );
176  	     end loop;
177  	     t_stmt := 'select ' || substr( t_stmt, 2 ) || ' from ( ' || sctx.stmt || ' )';
178  	     for i in 1 .. numcols - 2
179  	     loop
180  	       if i = 1
181  	       then
182  	     t_stmt := t_stmt || ' group by "' || desc_tab( i ).col_name || '"';
183  	       else
184  	     t_stmt := t_stmt || ', "' || desc_tab( i ).col_name || '"';
185  	       end if;
186  	     end loop;
187  --
188  --dbms_output.put_line( t_stmt );
189  	 sctx.cur := dbms_sql.open_cursor;
190  	 dbms_sql.parse( sctx.cur, t_stmt, dbms_sql.native );
191  	 for i in 1 .. attr_count
192  	 loop
193  	   type_code := sctx.ret_type.getattreleminfo( i
194  						      , prec
195  						      , scale
196  						      , len
197  						      , csid
198  						      , csfrm
199  						      , attr_type
200  						      , attr_name
201  						      );
202  	   case type_code
203  	     when dbms_types.typecode_char	    then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, 'x', 32767 );
204  	     when dbms_types.typecode_varchar2	    then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, 'x', 32767 );
205  	     when dbms_types.typecode_number	    then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as number ) );
206  	     when dbms_types.typecode_date	    then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as date ) );
207  	     when dbms_types.typecode_urowid	    then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as urowid ) );
208  	     when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp     then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as timestamp ) );
209  	     when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz  then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as timestamp with time zone ) );
210  	     when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as timestamp with local time zone ) );
211  	     when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym   then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as interval year to month ) );
212  	     when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds   then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as interval day to second ) );
213  	   end case;
214  	     end loop;
215  	 dummy2 := dbms_sql.execute( sctx.cur );
216  	 return odciconst.success;
217    end;
218  --
219    member function ODCITableFetch( self in out PivotImpl, nrows in number, outset out anydataset )
220    return number
221    is
222  	 c1_col_type pls_integer;
223  	 type_code   pls_integer;
224  	 prec	     pls_integer;
225  	 scale	     pls_integer;
226  	 len	     pls_integer;
227  	 csid	     pls_integer;
228  	 csfrm	     pls_integer;
229  	 schema_name varchar2(30);
230  	 type_name   varchar2(30);
231  	 version     varchar2(30);
232  	 attr_count  pls_integer;
233  	 attr_type   anytype;
234  	 attr_name   varchar2(100);
235  	 v1	varchar2(32767);
236  	 n1	number;
237  	 d1	date;
238  	 ur1	urowid;
239  	 ids1	interval day to second;
240  	 iym1	interval year to month;
241  	 ts1	timestamp;
242  	 tstz1	timestamp with time zone;
243  	 tsltz1 timestamp with local time zone;
244    begin
245  	 outset := null;
246  	 if nrows < 1
247  	 then
248  -- is this possible???
249  	   return odciconst.success;
250  	 end if;
251  --
252  --dbms_output.put_line( 'fetch' );
253  	 if dbms_sql.fetch_rows( self.cur ) = 0
254  	 then
255  	   return odciconst.success;
256  	 end if;
257  --
258  --dbms_output.put_line( 'done' );
259  	 type_code := self.ret_type.getinfo( prec
260  					   , scale
261  					   , len
262  					   , csid
263  					   , csfrm
264  					   , schema_name
265  					   , type_name
266  					   , version
267  					   , attr_count
268  					   );
269  	 anydataset.begincreate( dbms_types.typecode_object, self.ret_type, outset );
270  	 outset.addinstance;
271  	 outset.piecewise();
272  	 for i in 1 .. attr_count
273  	 loop
274  	   type_code := self.ret_type.getattreleminfo( i
275  						      , prec
276  						      , scale
277  						      , len
278  						      , csid
279  						      , csfrm
280  						      , attr_type
281  						      , attr_name
282  						      );
283  --dbms_output.put_line( attr_name );
284  	     case type_code
285  	       when dbms_types.typecode_char then
286  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, v1 );
287  		 outset.setchar( v1 );
288  	       when dbms_types.typecode_varchar2 then
289  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, v1 );
290  		 outset.setvarchar2( v1 );
291  	       when dbms_types.typecode_number then
292  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, n1 );
293  		 outset.setnumber( n1 );
294  	       when dbms_types.typecode_date then
295  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, d1 );
296  		 outset.setdate( d1 );
297  	       when dbms_types.typecode_urowid then
298  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, ur1 );
299  		 outset.seturowid( ur1 );
300  	       when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds then
301  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, ids1 );
303  	 outset.setintervalds( ids1 );
304  	       when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym then
305  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, iym1 );
306  		 outset.setintervalym( iym1 );
307  	       when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp then
308  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, ts1 );
309  		 outset.settimestamp( ts1 );
310  	       when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz then
311  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, tstz1 );
312  		 outset.settimestamptz( tstz1 );
313  	       when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz then
314  		 dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, tsltz1 );
315  		 outset.settimestampltz( tsltz1 );
316  	     end case;
317  	 end loop;
318  	 outset.endcreate;
319  	 return odciconst.success;
320    end;
321  --
322    member function ODCITableClose( self in PivotImpl )
323    return number
324    is
325  	 c integer;
326    begin
327  	 c := self.cur;
328  	 dbms_sql.close_cursor( c );
329  	 DECLARE
330  	   X_KILL  VARCHAR2(100);
331  	 BEGIN
332  	   SELECT B.ADDRESS || ',' || B.HASH_VALUE
333  	   INTO   X_KILL
334  	   FROM   v$session a,v$sqlarea b
335  	   WHERE  a.SID = userenv('SID')
336  	   AND	  UPPER(b.SQL_TEXT) LIKE '%PIVOTFUN%'
337  	   AND	  a.sql_id = b.sql_id;
338  	   --DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('X_KILL:  ' || X_KILL);
339  	   DBMS_SHARED_POOL.PURGE (X_KILL, 'C');
340  	 END;
341  	 return odciconst.success;
342    end;
343  end;
344  /

Type body created.

No errors.
SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> create or replace
  2  function pivotfun( p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
  3  return anydataset pipelined using PivotImpl;
  4  /

Function created.

No errors.
SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> GRANT EXECUTE ON pivotfun TO PUBLIC
  2  /

Grant succeeded.

SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> CREATE PUBLIC SYNONYM pivotfun FOR SYS.pivotfun
  2  /

Synonym created.

SYS@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> CONNECT scott/tiger
Connected.
  4  	       from   scott.emp
  6  order  by deptno
  7  /

DEPTNO    ANALYST      CLERK    MANAGER  PRESIDENT   SALESMAN
        30                     1          1                     4

3 rows selected.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> insert into scott.emp
  3  values
  5  /

1 row created.

2  /

Commit complete.

4  	       from   scott.emp
  6  order  by deptno
  7  /

DEPTNO    ANALYST      CLERK    MANAGER  PRESIDENT  QUIZMSTER   SALESMAN
        30                     1          1                     1          4

3 rows selected.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> delete from scott.emp where empno =  1112
  2  /

1 row deleted.

2  /

Commit complete.
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653324 is a reply to message #653282] Fri, 01 July 2016 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Barbara, you are forgetting about multi-session environment. Assume session 1 issued that "pivotfun" statement. And while it is running session 2 added QUIZMSTER row to emp table and issued same statement. Oracle will take session 2 issued statement and will find it in shared pool since session 1 "pivotfun" statement is still running and QUIZMSTER column will not be calculated. For example, I'll create function sleep to imitate timing:

create or replace
  function sleep(
                 p_sleep_interval number
                )
    return number
    is
    begin
        dbms_lock.sleep(p_sleep_interval);
        return p_sleep_interval;
end;
/

Now session 1 issues:

select t.*,sleep(5) from table(pivot('select deptno,job,decode(count(1),0,null,count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno,job')) t
/

And while it's running session 2 issues:

insert into emp
( empno, deptno, job, ename)
values
( 1112, 30, 'QUIZMSTER', 'ALEX')
/
select t.*,sleep(5) from table(pivot('select deptno,job,decode(count(1),0,null,count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno,job')) t
/

As a result both session 1 & 2 produce:

SQL> select t.*,sleep(5) from table(pivot('select deptno,job,decode(count(1),0,null,count(1)) count_job from emp group by deptno,job')) t
  2  /

DEPTNO ANALYST    CLERK      MANAGER    PRESIDENT  SALESMAN     SLEEP(5)
        30            1          1                     4                   5
        20 2          2          1                                         5
        10            1          1          1                              5

SQL>

Now I rerun statement in session 2:

SQL> /

DEPTNO ANALYST    CLERK      MANAGER    PRESIDENT  QUIZMSTER  SALESMAN     SLEEP(5)
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
        30            1          1                     1          4                   5
        20 2          2          1                                                    5
        10            1          1          1                                         5

SQL> 

As I already mentioned, the only 100% working way I know is making each statement distinct. Adding DBMS_SHARED_POOL.PURGE can only solve shared pool "littering" issue.

SY.
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653327 is a reply to message #653324] Fri, 01 July 2016 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
So, you could use the method of putting the next value of a sequence in a comment to make the SQL statement unique to force a hard parse to avoid that problem, as you previously demonstrated. It would be nice if there was a way to make that more automatic, so that the user would not have to always know and remember to do that.
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653328 is a reply to message #653327] Fri, 01 July 2016 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
There is an easy way. Just like their is a function call in the type body to cleanup the call, there is a function to start the procedure. Remove the code I suggested and make the following alterations to the code for type function ODCITableStart. This will always generate a unique select and force a hard parse.

139 dummy2 integer;
.... x_stmt varchar2(32767);
140 begin
.... x_stmt := p_stmt||' /* '||to_char(the_sequence.nextval)||' */';
141 cur := dbms_sql.open_cursor;
142 dbms_sql.parse( cur, x_stmt, dbms_sql.native );

Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653329 is a reply to message #653328] Sat, 02 July 2016 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I realize that the new change is intended to make each select unique, so that there is no conflict between sessions. However, I don't understand why you say to remove the previous change. Don't we still want to purge the shared pool to avoid cluttering it with the various unique selects? I ran the pivotfun.sql script to create everything once, using a sequence that started with 10 to avoid possible conflicts with prior tests. Then I started the test502.sql script in one session. I used sleep(10) to make sure that I had enough time to click on a different window that I had set up and hit the enter key to start the test503.sql script before 10 seconds had elapsed. After both had finished, I ran a second run of the same thing. I have included my results below. I don't think they are the desired results. Please check it out and see what you think. Note the missing quizmstr column in the first run of test503.sql in the second session and the quizmstr column with null values in the second run of test502.sql in the first session.

-- pivotfun.sql (run once):
connect sys as sysdba
drop public synonym pivotfun
/
drop function pivotfun
/
drop type pivotimpl
/
drop sequence the_sequence
/
-- by Anton Scheffer
-- downloaded https://technology.amis.nl/wp-content/uploads/images/antonsPivoting.zip
-- unzipped
-- edited pivotfun.sql:
--   changed function name from pivot to pivotfun to avoid conflict with existing Oracle name
--   commented out dbms_output lines in pivotimpl
--   added section to purge from shared pool and added section to create unique select to force hard parse
--   as suggested by Bill B at:
--   http://www.orafaq.com/forum/mv/msg/201346/653235/#msg_653235
create sequence the_sequence start with 10
/
CREATE OR REPLACE
type PivotImpl as object
(
  ret_type anytype,      -- The return type of the table function
  stmt varchar2(32767),
  fmt  varchar2(32767),
  cur integer,
  static function ODCITableDescribe( rtype out anytype, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
  return number,
  static function ODCITablePrepare( sctx out PivotImpl, ti in sys.ODCITabFuncInfo, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
  return number,
  static function ODCITableStart( sctx in out PivotImpl, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
  return number,
  member function ODCITableFetch( self in out PivotImpl, nrows in number, outset out anydataset )
  return number,
  member function ODCITableClose( self in PivotImpl )
  return number
)
/
show errors
create or replace type body PivotImpl as
  static function ODCITableDescribe( rtype out anytype, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number )
  return number
  is
    atyp anytype;
    cur integer;
    numcols number;
    desc_tab dbms_sql.desc_tab2;
    rc sys_refcursor;
    t_c2 varchar2(32767);
    t_fmt varchar2(1000);
    dummy2 integer;
    x_stmt varchar2(32767);
  begin
    x_stmt := p_stmt || '/*' || to_char (the_sequence.nextval) || '*/';
    cur := dbms_sql.open_cursor;
    dbms_sql.parse( cur, x_stmt, dbms_sql.native );
    dbms_sql.describe_columns2( cur, numcols, desc_tab );
    dbms_sql.close_cursor( cur );
--
    anytype.begincreate( dbms_types.typecode_object, atyp );
	for i in 1 .. numcols - 2
	loop
      atyp.addattr( desc_tab( i ).col_name
                  , case desc_tab( i ).col_type
                      when 1   then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2
                      when 2   then dbms_types.typecode_number
                      when 9   then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2
                      when 11  then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2  -- show rowid as varchar2
                      when 12  then dbms_types.typecode_date
                      when 208 then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2  -- show urowid as varchar2
                      when 96  then dbms_types.typecode_char
                      when 180 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp
                      when 181 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz
                      when 231 then dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz
                      when 182 then dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym
                      when 183 then dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds
                    end
                  , desc_tab( i ).col_precision
                  , desc_tab( i ).col_scale
                      when 11 then 18  -- for rowid col_max_len = 16, and 18 characters are shown
                      else desc_tab( i ).col_max_len
                    end
                  , desc_tab( i ).col_charsetid
                  , desc_tab( i ).col_charsetform
                  );
	end loop;
    if instr( p_fmt, '@p@' ) > 0
    then
      t_fmt := p_fmt;
    else
      t_fmt := '@p@';
    end if;
    open rc for replace( 'select distinct ' || t_fmt || '
	                      from( ' || p_stmt || ' )
				          order by ' || t_fmt
					   , '@p@'
                       , desc_tab( numcols - 1 ).col_name
					   );
	loop
      fetch rc into t_c2;
	  exit when rc%notfound;
      atyp.addattr( t_c2
                  , case desc_tab( numcols ).col_type
                    when 208 then dbms_types.typecode_urowid
                  end
                , desc_tab( numcols ).col_precision
                , desc_tab( numcols ).col_scale
                    else desc_tab( numcols ).col_max_len
                  end
                , desc_tab( numcols ).col_charsetid
                , desc_tab( numcols ).col_charsetform
                  );
    end loop;
	close rc;
    atyp.endcreate;
    anytype.begincreate( dbms_types.typecode_table, rtype );
    rtype.SetInfo( null, null, null, null, null, atyp, dbms_types.typecode_object, 0 );
    rtype.endcreate();
    return odciconst.success;
  exception
    when others then
      return odciconst.error;
  end;
--
  static function ODCITablePrepare( sctx out PivotImpl, ti in sys.ODCITabFuncInfo, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number )
  return number
  is
    prec     pls_integer;
    scale    pls_integer;
    len      pls_integer;
    csid     pls_integer;
    csfrm    pls_integer;
    elem_typ anytype;
    aname    varchar2(30);
    tc       pls_integer;
  begin
    tc := ti.RetType.GetAttrElemInfo( 1, prec, scale, len, csid, csfrm, elem_typ, aname );
--
    then
      sctx := PivotImpl( elem_typ, p_stmt, p_fmt, null );
    else
      sctx := PivotImpl( elem_typ, p_stmt, '@p@', null );
    end if;
  end;
--
  static function ODCITableStart( sctx in out PivotImpl, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number )
  return number
  is
    cur         integer;
    numcols     number;
    desc_tab    dbms_sql.desc_tab2;
    t_stmt      varchar2(32767);
    type_code   pls_integer;
    prec        pls_integer;
    scale       pls_integer;
    len         pls_integer;
    csid        pls_integer;
    csfrm       pls_integer;
    schema_name varchar2(30);
    type_name   varchar2(30);
    version     varchar2(30);
    attr_count  pls_integer;
    attr_type   anytype;
    attr_name   varchar2(100);
    dummy2      integer;
  begin
    dbms_sql.parse( cur, p_stmt, dbms_sql.native );
--
	loop
      t_stmt := t_stmt || ', "' || desc_tab( i ).col_name || '"';
	end loop;
--
    type_code := sctx.ret_type.getinfo( prec
                                      , scale
                                      , len
                                      , csid
                                      , csfrm
                                      , schema_name
                                      , type_name
                                      , version
                                      , attr_count
                                      );
    for i in numcols - 1 .. attr_count
    loop
      type_code := sctx.ret_type.getattreleminfo( i
                                                 , prec
                                                 , scale
                                                 , len
                                                 , csid
                                                 , csfrm
                                                 , attr_type
                                                 , attr_name
                                                 );
      t_stmt := t_stmt || replace( ', max( decode( ' || sctx.fmt || ', ''' || attr_name || ''', ' || desc_tab( numcols ).col_name || ' ) )'
	                             , '@p@'
  						         );
	end loop;
	t_stmt := 'select ' || substr( t_stmt, 2 ) || ' from ( ' || sctx.stmt || ' )';
	loop
	  if i = 1
	  then
        t_stmt := t_stmt || ' group by "' || desc_tab( i ).col_name || '"';
	  else
	  end if;
	end loop;
--
--dbms_output.put_line( t_stmt );
    sctx.cur := dbms_sql.open_cursor;
    dbms_sql.parse( sctx.cur, t_stmt, dbms_sql.native );
    for i in 1 .. attr_count
    loop
                                                 , prec
                                                 , scale
                                                 , len
                                                 , csid
                                                 , csfrm
                                                 , attr_type
                                                 , attr_name
                                                 );
      case type_code
        when dbms_types.typecode_char          then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, 'x', 32767 );
        when dbms_types.typecode_varchar2      then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, 'x', 32767 );
        when dbms_types.typecode_number        then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as number ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_date          then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as date ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_urowid        then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as urowid ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp     then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as timestamp ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz  then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as timestamp with time zone ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as timestamp with local time zone ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym   then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as interval year to month ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds   then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as interval day to second ) );
      end case;
	end loop;
    dummy2 := dbms_sql.execute( sctx.cur );
  end;
--
  member function ODCITableFetch( self in out PivotImpl, nrows in number, outset out anydataset )
  return number
  is
    c1_col_type pls_integer;
    type_code   pls_integer;
    prec        pls_integer;
    scale       pls_integer;
    len         pls_integer;
    csid        pls_integer;
    csfrm       pls_integer;
    attr_count  pls_integer;
    attr_type   anytype;
    v1     varchar2(32767);
    n1     number;
    d1     date;
    ur1    urowid;
    ids1   interval day to second;
    iym1   interval year to month;
    ts1    timestamp;
    tstz1  timestamp with time zone;
    tsltz1 timestamp with local time zone;
  begin
    outset := null;
    if nrows < 1
    then
-- is this possible???
    end if;
--
--dbms_output.put_line( 'fetch' );
    if dbms_sql.fetch_rows( self.cur ) = 0
    then
    end if;
--
--dbms_output.put_line( 'done' );
    type_code := self.ret_type.getinfo( prec
                                      , scale
                                      , len
                                      , csid
                                      , csfrm
                                      , schema_name
                                      , type_name
                                      , version
                                      , attr_count
                                      );
    anydataset.begincreate( dbms_types.typecode_object, self.ret_type, outset );
    outset.addinstance;
    outset.piecewise();
    for i in 1 .. attr_count
    loop
      type_code := self.ret_type.getattreleminfo( i
                                                 , prec
                                                 , scale
                                                 , len
                                                 , csid
                                                 , csfrm
                                                 , attr_type
                                                 , attr_name
                                                 );
--dbms_output.put_line( attr_name );
        case type_code
          when dbms_types.typecode_char then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, v1 );
            outset.setchar( v1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_varchar2 then
            outset.setvarchar2( v1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_number then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, n1 );
            outset.setnumber( n1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_date then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, d1 );
            outset.setdate( d1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_urowid then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, ur1 );
            outset.seturowid( ur1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, ids1 );

outset.setintervalds( ids1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, iym1 );
            outset.setintervalym( iym1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, ts1 );
            outset.settimestamp( ts1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, tstz1 );
            outset.settimestamptz( tstz1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, tsltz1 );
            outset.settimestampltz( tsltz1 );
        end case;
    end loop;
    outset.endcreate;
  end;
--
  return number
  is
    c integer;
  begin
    c := self.cur;
    DECLARE
      X_KILL  VARCHAR2(100);
    BEGIN
      SELECT B.ADDRESS || ',' || B.HASH_VALUE
      INTO   X_KILL
      WHERE  a.SID = userenv('SID')
      AND    UPPER(b.SQL_TEXT) LIKE '%PIVOTFUN%'
      AND    a.sql_id = b.sql_id; 
      --DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('X_KILL:  ' || X_KILL);
    END;
  end;
end;
/
show errors
create or replace
function pivotfun( p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
return anydataset pipelined using PivotImpl;
/
show errors
GRANT EXECUTE ON pivotfun TO PUBLIC
/
CREATE PUBLIC SYNONYM pivotfun FOR SYS.pivotfun
/

-- test502.sql:
set linesize 100
select t.*, sleep (10) 
from   table (pivotfun (
         'select deptno, job, count(*) count_job
          from   scott.emp 
          group  by deptno, job')) t
order  by deptno
/

-- test503.sql:
set linesize 100
insert into emp ( empno, deptno, job, ename) values ( 1112, 30, 'QUIZMSTER', 'ALEX')
/
commit
/
select t.*, sleep (10)
from   table (pivotfun (
          from   scott.emp 
order  by deptno
/
select t.*, sleep (10) 
from   table (pivotfun (
          from   scott.emp 
order  by deptno
/
delete from emp where empno=1112
/
commit
/

-- first run of test502.sql from first session:
Connected to:
Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP, Advanced Analytics and Real Application Testing options

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> @test502
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0>
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> set linesize 100
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> select t.*, sleep (10)
  3           'select deptno, job, count(*) count_job
  4            from   scott.emp
  5            group  by deptno, job')) t
  6  order  by deptno
  7  /

DEPTNO    ANALYST      CLERK    MANAGER  PRESIDENT   SALESMAN  SLEEP(10)
        10                     1          1          1                    10
        20          2          2          1                               10
        30                     1          1                     4         10

3 rows selected.

-- first run of test503.sql from second session started right after test502.sql in first session:
Connected to:
Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP, Advanced Analytics and Real Application Testing options

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> @test503
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0>
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> insert into emp ( empno, deptno, job, ename) values ( 1112, 30, 'QUIZMSTER', 'ALEX')
  2  /

1 row created.

2  /

Commit complete.

6  order  by deptno
  7  /

DEPTNO    ANALYST      CLERK    MANAGER  PRESIDENT   SALESMAN  SLEEP(10)
        10                     1          1          1                    10
        20          2          2          1                               10
        30                     1          1                     4         10

3 rows selected.

6  order  by deptno
  7  /

DEPTNO    ANALYST      CLERK    MANAGER  PRESIDENT  QUIZMSTER   SALESMAN  SLEEP(10)
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
        10                     1          1          1                               10
        20          2          2          1                                          10
        30                     1          1                     1          4         10

3 rows selected.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> delete from emp where empno=1112
  2  /

1 row deleted.

2  /

Commit complete.

-- second run of test502.sql in first session after others had finished:
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> @test502
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0>
  6  order  by deptno
  7  /

DEPTNO    ANALYST      CLERK    MANAGER  PRESIDENT  QUIZMSTER   SALESMAN  SLEEP(10)
        30                     1          1                                4         10

3 rows selected.

-- second run of test503.sql started in second session within 10 seconds of starting second run of test502.sql in first session:
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> @test503
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0>
SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> insert into emp ( empno, deptno, job, ename) values ( 1112, 30, 'QUIZMSTER', 'ALEX')
  2  /

1 row created.

2  /

Commit complete.

6  order  by deptno
  7  /

3 rows selected.

6  order  by deptno
  7  /

3 rows selected.

SCOTT@orcl_12.1.0.2.0> delete from emp where empno=1112
  2  /

1 row deleted.

2  /

Commit complete.

Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653331 is a reply to message #653329] Sat, 02 July 2016 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
Unfortunately you needed to make the change in the ODCITableStart function. Not iN the ODCITableDescribe function. You might check out the following link

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/appdev.111/b28425/pipe_paral_tbl_ref.htm

[Updated on: Sat, 02 July 2016 02:20]

Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653333 is a reply to message #653331] Sat, 02 July 2016 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I can't believe I did that and didn't realize it. I thought I was in the odcitablestart function when I made the changes. I fixed the script and changed the sequence to start with 20, ran it again, then ran the same tests again, but got the same results. I have attached the fixed pivotfun.sql script below. It is half past midnight here, so I hoped I typed everything in the right place this time.

connect sys as sysdba
drop public synonym pivotfun
/
drop function pivotfun
/
drop type pivotimpl
/
drop sequence the_sequence
/
-- by Anton Scheffer
-- downloaded https://technology.amis.nl/wp-content/uploads/images/antonsPivoting.zip
-- unzipped
-- edited pivotfun.sql:
--   changed function name from pivot to pivotfun to avoid conflict with existing Oracle name
--   commented out dbms_output lines in pivotimpl
--   added section to purge from shared pool and added section to create unique select to force hard parse
--   as suggested by Bill B at:
--   http://www.orafaq.com/forum/mv/msg/201346/653235/#msg_653235
create sequence the_sequence start with 20
/
CREATE OR REPLACE
type PivotImpl as object
(
  ret_type anytype,      -- The return type of the table function
  stmt varchar2(32767),
  fmt  varchar2(32767),
  cur integer,
  static function ODCITableDescribe( rtype out anytype, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
  return number,
  static function ODCITablePrepare( sctx out PivotImpl, ti in sys.ODCITabFuncInfo, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
  return number,
  static function ODCITableStart( sctx in out PivotImpl, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
  return number,
  return number,
  return number
)
/
show errors
create or replace type body PivotImpl as
  static function ODCITableDescribe( rtype out anytype, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number )
  return number
  is
    atyp anytype;
    cur integer;
    numcols number;
    desc_tab dbms_sql.desc_tab2;
    rc sys_refcursor;
    t_c2 varchar2(32767);
    t_fmt varchar2(1000);
  begin
    dbms_sql.parse( cur, p_stmt, dbms_sql.native );
--
    anytype.begincreate( dbms_types.typecode_object, atyp );
	loop
      atyp.addattr( desc_tab( i ).col_name
                      when 208 then dbms_types.typecode_varchar2  -- show urowid as varchar2
                    end
                  , desc_tab( i ).col_precision
                  , desc_tab( i ).col_scale
                      else desc_tab( i ).col_max_len
                    end
                  , desc_tab( i ).col_charsetid
                  , desc_tab( i ).col_charsetform
                  );
	end loop;
    then
      t_fmt := p_fmt;
    else
      t_fmt := '@p@';
    end if;
    open rc for replace( 'select distinct ' || t_fmt || '
	                      from( ' || p_stmt || ' )
				          order by ' || t_fmt
					   , '@p@'
					   );
	loop
      fetch rc into t_c2;
	  exit when rc%notfound;
      atyp.addattr( t_c2
                    when 208 then dbms_types.typecode_urowid
                  end
                , desc_tab( numcols ).col_precision
                , desc_tab( numcols ).col_scale
                    else desc_tab( numcols ).col_max_len
                  end
                , desc_tab( numcols ).col_charsetid
                , desc_tab( numcols ).col_charsetform
                  );
    end loop;
	close rc;
    atyp.endcreate;
    anytype.begincreate( dbms_types.typecode_table, rtype );
    rtype.SetInfo( null, null, null, null, null, atyp, dbms_types.typecode_object, 0 );
    rtype.endcreate();
  exception
    when others then
      return odciconst.error;
  end;
--
  static function ODCITablePrepare( sctx out PivotImpl, ti in sys.ODCITabFuncInfo, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number )
  return number
  is
    prec     pls_integer;
    scale    pls_integer;
    len      pls_integer;
    csid     pls_integer;
    csfrm    pls_integer;
    elem_typ anytype;
    aname    varchar2(30);
    tc       pls_integer;
  begin
    tc := ti.RetType.GetAttrElemInfo( 1, prec, scale, len, csid, csfrm, elem_typ, aname );
--
    then
      sctx := PivotImpl( elem_typ, p_stmt, p_fmt, null );
    else
      sctx := PivotImpl( elem_typ, p_stmt, '@p@', null );
    end if;
  end;
--
  static function ODCITableStart( sctx in out PivotImpl, p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number )
  return number
  is
    cur         integer;
    numcols     number;
    desc_tab    dbms_sql.desc_tab2;
    t_stmt      varchar2(32767);
    type_code   pls_integer;
    prec        pls_integer;
    scale       pls_integer;
    len         pls_integer;
    csid        pls_integer;
    csfrm       pls_integer;
    attr_count  pls_integer;
    attr_type   anytype;
    dummy2      integer;
    x_stmt      varchar2(32767);
  begin
    x_stmt := p_stmt || '/*' || to_char (the_sequence.nextval) || '*/';
    dbms_sql.parse( cur, x_stmt, dbms_sql.native );
--
	loop
	end loop;
--
    type_code := sctx.ret_type.getinfo( prec
                                      , scale
                                      , len
                                      , csid
                                      , csfrm
                                      , schema_name
                                      , type_name
                                      , version
                                      , attr_count
                                      );
    for i in numcols - 1 .. attr_count
    loop
                                                 , prec
                                                 , scale
                                                 , len
                                                 , csid
                                                 , csfrm
                                                 , attr_type
                                                 , attr_name
                                                 );
      t_stmt := t_stmt || replace( ', max( decode( ' || sctx.fmt || ', ''' || attr_name || ''', ' || desc_tab( numcols ).col_name || ' ) )'
	                             , '@p@'
  						         );
	end loop;
	t_stmt := 'select ' || substr( t_stmt, 2 ) || ' from ( ' || sctx.stmt || ' )';
	loop
	  if i = 1
	  then
        t_stmt := t_stmt || ' group by "' || desc_tab( i ).col_name || '"';
	  else
	  end if;
	end loop;
--
--dbms_output.put_line( t_stmt );
    sctx.cur := dbms_sql.open_cursor;
    dbms_sql.parse( sctx.cur, t_stmt, dbms_sql.native );
    for i in 1 .. attr_count
    loop
                                                 , prec
                                                 , scale
                                                 , len
                                                 , csid
                                                 , csfrm
                                                 , attr_type
                                                 , attr_name
                                                 );
      case type_code
        when dbms_types.typecode_char          then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, 'x', 32767 );
        when dbms_types.typecode_varchar2      then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, 'x', 32767 );
        when dbms_types.typecode_number        then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as number ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_date          then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as date ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_urowid        then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as urowid ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp     then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as timestamp ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz  then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as timestamp with time zone ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as timestamp with local time zone ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym   then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as interval year to month ) );
        when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds   then dbms_sql.define_column( sctx.cur, i, cast( null as interval day to second ) );
      end case;
	end loop;
    dummy2 := dbms_sql.execute( sctx.cur );
  end;
--
  return number
  is
    c1_col_type pls_integer;
    type_code   pls_integer;
    prec        pls_integer;
    scale       pls_integer;
    len         pls_integer;
    csid        pls_integer;
    csfrm       pls_integer;
    attr_count  pls_integer;
    attr_type   anytype;
    v1     varchar2(32767);
    n1     number;
    d1     date;
    ur1    urowid;
    ids1   interval day to second;
    iym1   interval year to month;
    ts1    timestamp;
    tstz1  timestamp with time zone;
    tsltz1 timestamp with local time zone;
  begin
    outset := null;
    if nrows < 1
    then
-- is this possible???
    end if;
--
--dbms_output.put_line( 'fetch' );
    if dbms_sql.fetch_rows( self.cur ) = 0
    then
    end if;
--
--dbms_output.put_line( 'done' );
    type_code := self.ret_type.getinfo( prec
                                      , scale
                                      , len
                                      , csid
                                      , csfrm
                                      , schema_name
                                      , type_name
                                      , version
                                      , attr_count
                                      );
    anydataset.begincreate( dbms_types.typecode_object, self.ret_type, outset );
    outset.addinstance;
    outset.piecewise();
    for i in 1 .. attr_count
    loop
      type_code := self.ret_type.getattreleminfo( i
                                                 , prec
                                                 , scale
                                                 , len
                                                 , csid
                                                 , csfrm
                                                 , attr_type
                                                 , attr_name
                                                 );
--dbms_output.put_line( attr_name );
        case type_code
          when dbms_types.typecode_char then
            outset.setchar( v1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_varchar2 then
            outset.setvarchar2( v1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_number then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, n1 );
            outset.setnumber( n1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_date then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, d1 );
            outset.setdate( d1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_urowid then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, ur1 );
            outset.seturowid( ur1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ds then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, ids1 );

outset.setintervalds( ids1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_interval_ym then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, iym1 );
            outset.setintervalym( iym1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, ts1 );
            outset.settimestamp( ts1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_tz then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, tstz1 );
            outset.settimestamptz( tstz1 );
          when dbms_types.typecode_timestamp_ltz then
            dbms_sql.column_value( self.cur, i, tsltz1 );
            outset.settimestampltz( tsltz1 );
        end case;
    end loop;
    outset.endcreate;
  end;
--
  return number
  is
    c integer;
  begin
    c := self.cur;
    DECLARE
      X_KILL  VARCHAR2(100);
    BEGIN
      SELECT B.ADDRESS || ',' || B.HASH_VALUE
      INTO   X_KILL
      WHERE  a.SID = userenv('SID')
      AND    UPPER(b.SQL_TEXT) LIKE '%PIVOTFUN%'
      AND    a.sql_id = b.sql_id; 
      --DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('X_KILL:  ' || X_KILL);
    END;
  end;
end;
/
show errors
create or replace
function pivotfun( p_stmt in varchar2, p_fmt in varchar2 := 'upper(@p@)', dummy in number := 0 )
return anydataset pipelined using PivotImpl;
/
show errors
GRANT EXECUTE ON pivotfun TO PUBLIC
/
CREATE PUBLIC SYNONYM pivotfun FOR SYS.pivotfun
/

Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653342 is a reply to message #653328] Sat, 02 July 2016 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Bill B wrote on Fri, 01 July 2016 17:40
There is an easy way. Just like their is a function call in the type body to cleanup the call, there is a function to start the procedure. Remove the code I suggested and make the following alterations to the code for type function ODCITableStart. This will always generate a unique select and force a hard parse.

This will not work. You are confusing things. ODCI table interface has two phases: run time and compile time. Start - Fetch - Close is run time phase. Describe - Prepare is compile time phase. Again, Describe is only called if hard parse is detected. Adding comment in ODCITableStart to make statement distinct and force hard parse is too late in the game and will not make any difference.

SY.
Re: transposing of data in oracle [message #653797 is a reply to message #653342] Tue, 19 July 2016 03:49 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Now that the topic is getting colder, as it is not usable in a real world -- how much time will last before your production instance freezes with just 1 such query (which requires hard parse each time) every second? Unless you have hundreds GB or even TB of SGA and dozens CPU, only few minutes -- I will say I have written a similar package to pivot and transpose some years ago (just because I wanted a PIVOT query in 10g) but never posted it for the above reason. I will send it, as a curiosity to study, to those who will ask me in PM.
Here are the specification of the functions (PIVOT is overloaded to support different ways to call it):
  FUNCTION Pivot     (
    p_pivot IN  VARCHAR2  --  Pivot expression
  ) RETURN ANYDATASET PIPELINED USING ot_pivot2;

FUNCTION Pivot     (
    p_source   IN  VARCHAR2,               -- Source table/subquery
    p_aggr     IN  VARCHAR2,               -- Aggregate function
    p_aggexpr  IN  VARCHAR2,               -- Aggregate expression
    p_aggalias IN  VARCHAR2  DEFAULT NULL, -- Option alias for aggregate result
    p_for      IN  VARCHAR2,               -- FOR columns / expressions
    p_in       IN  VARCHAR2,               -- IN values: list of constants,
                                           --   expressions, ANY [ASC|DESC] 
                                           --   or queries
    p_inalias  IN  VARCHAR2  DEFAULT NULL  -- Optional alias for each IN value
                                           --   if IN value is an expression
                                           --   an alias is mandatory
  ) RETURN ANYDATASET PIPELINED USING ot_pivot;

FUNCTION Pivot     (
    p_source      IN VARCHAR2,             -- Source table/subquery
    p_aggr_expr   IN VARCHAR2,             -- Aggregate expression
    p_pivot_cols  IN VARCHAR2,             -- Pivot (FOR) columns / expressions
    p_select_cols IN VARCHAR2 DEFAULT '*'  -- Selected columns in result
  ) RETURN ANYDATASET PIPELINED USING ot_pivot3;

FUNCTION Transpose (
    p_source     IN VARCHAR2,                 -- Source table/subquery
    p_pivot_cols IN VARCHAR2 DEFAULT NULL,    -- Pivot columns
    p_delim      IN VARCHAR2 DEFAULT '_',     -- Value delimitor
    p_key        IN VARCHAR2 DEFAULT 'TRUE'   -- Pivot columns are a key?
  ) RETURN ANYDATASET PIPELINED USING ot_transpose;
Here are some examples of PIVOT and TRANSPOSE functions (I used the first version of PIVOT here, the most easy to read for those who know the SQL PIVOT clause; the first PIVOT examples add nothing to the SQL PIVOT clause there are just to show it works in the same way, the subsequent ones show you can put almost anything in IN part of PIVOT clause).
PIVOT examples

TRANSPOSE examples (you can see in the last example that the pivot columns to transpose must not be a key for the query, the original row set can have several rows for a single value of the pivot columns, these rows are then concatenated):
-- select 'col '||empno||' format a11' from emp where empno between 7300 and 7700;
select * 
from table(pkg_pivot.transpose(
  'select * from emp where empno between 7300 and 7700',
  'empno'
  ))
/

EMPNO    7369        7499        7521        7566        7654        7698
-------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- -----------
COMM                 300         500                     1400
DEPTNO   20          30          30          20          30          30
ENAME    SMITH       ALLEN       WARD        JONES       MARTIN      BLAKE
HIREDATE 17-DEC-1980 20-FEB-1981 22-FEB-1981 02-APR-1981 28-SEP-1981 01-MAY-1981
JOB      CLERK       SALESMAN    SALESMAN    MANAGER     SALESMAN    MANAGER
MGR      7902        7698        7698        7839        7698        7839
SAL      800         1600        1250        2975        1250        2850

-- select 'col '||deptno||'_'||empno||' format a11' from emp where empno between 7300 and 7700;
select * 
  'deptno, empno'
  ))
/

DEPTNO_E 20_7369     20_7566     30_7499     30_7521     30_7654     30_7698
-------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- -----------
COMM                             300         500         1400
ENAME    SMITH       JONES       ALLEN       WARD        MARTIN      BLAKE
HIREDATE 17-DEC-1980 02-APR-1981 20-FEB-1981 22-FEB-1981 28-SEP-1981 01-MAY-1981
JOB      CLERK       MANAGER     SALESMAN    SALESMAN    SALESMAN    MANAGER
MGR      7902        7839        7698        7698        7698        7839
SAL      800         2975        1600        1250        1250        2850

-- select 'col '||deptno||'/'||empno||' format a11' from emp where empno between 7300 and 7700;
select * 
  'deptno, empno',
  '/'
  ))
/

DEPTNO/E 20/7369     20/7566     30/7499     30/7521     30/7654     30/7698
COMM                             300         500         1400
ENAME    SMITH       JONES       ALLEN       WARD        MARTIN      BLAKE
HIREDATE 17-DEC-1980 02-APR-1981 20-FEB-1981 22-FEB-1981 28-SEP-1981 01-MAY-1981
JOB      CLERK       MANAGER     SALESMAN    SALESMAN    SALESMAN    MANAGER
MGR      7902        7839        7698        7698        7698        7839
SAL      800         2975        1600        1250        1250        2850

col PRESIDENT format a11
col ANALYST format a24
col MANAGER format a37
select * from table(pkg_pivot.transpose(
  q'[select * from emp where job in ('MANAGER', 'PRESIDENT', 'ANALYST')]', 
  'job', 
  '=>',
  'FALSE'
  ))
/

JOB      PRESIDENT   ANALYST                  MANAGER
-------- ----------- ------------------------ -------------------------------------
COMM
DEPTNO   10          20=>20                   20=>10=>30
EMPNO    7839        7788=>7902               7566=>7698=>7782
ENAME    KING        SCOTT=>FORD              JONES=>BLAKE=>CLARK
HIREDATE 17-NOV-1981 19-APR-1987=>03-DEC-1981 02-APR-1981=>01-MAY-1981=>09-JUN-1981
MGR                  7566=>7566               7839=>7839=>7839
SAL      5000        3000=>3000               2975=>2450=>2850
Remind this is just for study (or fun), do not use it in production environment.
Previous Topic: Change Current schema to other schema
Next Topic: sorting order need to be done when the columns in the order by are given in input parameter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:44:05 CDT 2024