Home » Other » Marketplace » DBA mentoring service: teaching and consulting for the price of one (DB, APEX, and more)
DBA mentoring service: teaching and consulting for the price of one [message #652496] Fri, 10 June 2016 09:13 Go to next message
John Watson
We (Skillbuilders Inc) offer what we call a "mentoring" service. This is neither teaching (where you are given fixed, though customizable, content and work on our machines) nor consulting (where do the work on your machines) but a combination of the two. In short sessions a few days apart we go through theory and demonstrations on our systems followed by work on your systems. We do it together, and you end up with whatever you need fully configured and you will also have been taught how to do it.

Our recent assignments have been setting up RMAN and Data Guard, but the model works equally well with (for example) RAC or SQL Tuning projects. Typically, a mentoring assignment would be four 2 hour sessions spread over two weeks, costed at US$275.00 per hour. It is of course infinitely customizable to your needs.

If you are interested, let me know or contact the company directly. We can cover pretty much anything to do with DBA, SQL, PL/SQL, or APEX. It's an enjoyable way to learn.
--
John Watson
Oracle Certified Master DBA
http://skillbuilders.com
Re: DBA mentoring service: teaching and consulting for the price of one [message #652500 is a reply to message #652496] Fri, 10 June 2016 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Seems interesting, how many people do you accept for a mentoring session?
I understand the purpose is to mentor one person to help him learn and set a task but can there be a couple of auditors in addition?

Re: DBA mentoring service: teaching and consulting for the price of one [message #652502 is a reply to message #652500] Fri, 10 June 2016 10:43 Go to previous message
John Watson
One or two is best, but of course others can sit in. We can also record the sessions, though we do ask that the recordings are not distributed.

The format does rely on the mentor's ability to respond to unexpected requests. For example, in a recent session I was expecting to go through creating a physical standby, but ended up spending time on shell scripts to automate daily database duplications. I had template scripts available from a different project, so no problem. This necessity to react to demand is why we put only our very best people on these assignments.
Previous Topic: PL/SQL Samples
Next Topic: Advice required
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:34:32 CDT 2024