Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Open APEX app outside my network (APEX 5)
Open APEX app outside my network [message #650148] Sun, 17 April 2016 07:37 Go to next message
Janning

I have Oracle APEX installed on dB 12c on a linux box on my home network as a sandbox.
When on this box I can open firefox and goto the below link and login fine.

http://oradev.attlocal.net:7172/apex/f?p=111:LOGIN_DESKTOP:23798986661662:::::

However on any other PC on my network, or outside my network I get page can not
be displayed. I use dyn up dater to translate my IP address to www.aanning.com

this works fine for other applications, ie I use http://www.aanning.com:XXXX (XXXX is a port#)
and I can hit other apps (not oracle) on other PC on my network from outside, so I know this part
works.

I have port 7172 forwarded to the APEX box and try

http://www.aanning.com:7172/apex/f?p=111:LOGIN_DESKTOP:23798986661662:::::

but I get page can not be displayed.

How can I hit my APEX app from outside my network?
Please advise, thanks James
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650151 is a reply to message #650148] Sun, 17 April 2016 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I just browsed to your APEX installation and get a login window no problem.

[EDITED by LF: removed image from the message body; it is too wide and requires left/right scrolling while reading messages on not-that-wide screens]
  • Attachment: aaning.png
    (Size: 220.36KB, Downloaded 1580 times)

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2016 10:50] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650153 is a reply to message #650151] Sun, 17 April 2016 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Janning

Wow, it sure did. Not sure what was going on earlier, but, its working like a champ now!
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650162 is a reply to message #650153] Sun, 17 April 2016 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Janning

The APEX listener is set to port 7172. use Dyn updater (dns updater) to forward your ISP's IP address to your domain (mine www.aanning.com). Once done, you goto your routers port forwarding and forward port 7172 to the APEX PC. Oddly, I had done all of this, and it did not work. I'm not sure what happened...it suddenly begin to work, for no apparent reason. The only thing I can think of, is I had reached the maximum number of ports I could forward on my router. I deleted one I knew I was no longer using. this is the only change I made, then it begin to work
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650351 is a reply to message #650162] Sat, 23 April 2016 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Janning

I've been doing the tutorials for APEX 5, requested a space from oracle etc. These are great, however at work we are on APEX 4.2.
I need a space from oracle on 4.2, can anyone show me where/how to do this ?
Thanks James
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650353 is a reply to message #650351] Sat, 23 April 2016 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
The terminal release of APEX was 4.2.6, about four years ago i think. I wouldn't think ORacle has any interest in supporting it now.
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650387 is a reply to message #650353] Sat, 23 April 2016 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Janning

yes I'm aware oracle had abandoned it, however, my company has not. I've done a lot of the 5 tutorial, but , I have to get my feet wet on 4.2.... somehow... someway
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650410 is a reply to message #650351] Sun, 24 April 2016 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Janning

... at work we are on APEX 4.2.
I need a space from oracle on 4.2, can anyone show me where/how to do this ?

I have to get my feet wet on 4.2.... somehow...

I don't understand what you are saying.

First you said that - at work - you use Apex 4.2.

Then you said that you need a (work?)space on apex.oracle.com, version 4.2. If that's what you really said, then you can't get it as apex.oracle.com is currently running Apex 5.

Finally, you said that you have to use 4.2, somehow. But, didn't you say that you do use Apex 4.2 at work? How do these two statements go together? You have 4.2 but already, but you have to have 4.2, somehow.

I just don't understand it.
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650411 is a reply to message #650410] Sun, 24 April 2016 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Janning

Oh...I see the confusion...let me elaborate:
1) I'm brand new at the job...I have NO access to the 4.2 yet. (and I'm new to APEX)
2) when I do get access, I won't be able..or may not be able to "play around, and learn" (its government...real tight down)

So? I need access to a 4.2. on Oracles site...like my 5.0 on their site.
Make sense now?

However, I was told last nite...what I can do, is....use the 4.2 tutorials, and run APEX 5 in "component mode" instead of designer mode.
I was told this would be almost as good as doing the 4.2 tutorials "in" 4.2.

Hope I did not make more confusoin
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650412 is a reply to message #650411] Sun, 24 April 2016 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
OK, that makes sense now.

Why wouldn't your administrator (at work) create a workspace (as well as a developer) for you on your Apex 4.2? That takes just a few minutes. Doing so, you'd have your own playground (i.e. a workspace), create your own application(s), using your own Oracle user (schema) and NOT interfere with anyone else.

Alternatively, download Oracle 11g XE database, install it onto your own computer. It already contains Apex 4.0.2 (unless I'm wrong). Then go to OTN and download Apex 4.2 from the Prior Release Archives page. Follow the installation instructions and upgrade your XE's 4.0.2 to 4.2.x and you're ready to go.

The second approach is kind of more difficult, but you'll learn something new about Apex installation. As that would be your own database and Apex, you'd be THE almighty boss and do whatever you want, from creating/dropping users to playing around with Apex features. All of that at no cost at all.
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650414 is a reply to message #650412] Sun, 24 April 2016 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Janning

Again It's a government entity...they are locked down... I'm a new employee... actually,
I'm a contractor... so I have no power,,. I don't want to stir up asking for things as a new emp.
you'd have to have spent a day here... you'd know...it would take 3 weeks to get that.
That's 3 weeks I could be doing a tutorial.
if you know anything about government jobs? then if I told you who is was.... you'd understand.
and I need this... 2 weeks ago!! I've been there over two weeks and do not have any access, even to DEV.
it took a week to get a PC! I've been tutorial-int on 5.0 off my home APEX I HAVE installed.
I could do another box... but I'm betting I do get access to DEV... in a few days.
when I do , I'll have "work" to do... so I need something now... to get in some "flight time" on 4.2
otherwise I'd set up a virtual box and install 4.2

so? now do you understand? please don't take this the wrong way... but, I don't have the time to debate,
what I should/could or what they should do if the twang me to learn etc.

At this point, if I could get you to agree that running 5.0 in component view,
and using the 4.2 tutorial will get me 80% plus what I need... I'm good to go?

my plan is to use the below 4.2 tutorial and do it on my APEX 5 in component view.
I was told this would be 80% as good as doing it on APEX 4.2

http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/apex/r42/apexstart_b/apexstart_b.html

Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650415 is a reply to message #650414] Sun, 24 April 2016 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It seems that you have already decided what to do, so I guess that it is pointless to discuss it any further. Good luck!
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650416 is a reply to message #650415] Sun, 24 April 2016 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Janning

no... I clearly asked your opinion.... I said don't take offense...I need to do something.... this evening.
if you tell me "doing 4.2 TUT. in 5 component is an utter waste... I'm listening.
I got one opinion last nite... I never ride on one opinion. I want yours
soecifcally on "my plan". I'm sorry that I'm in a hurry... but, I'd like to enjoy a little of my day, before going home and possibly heaving to install a database!
can you understand this please?
otherwise id love to chat debate etc... and set up 12c enterprise...
so??? please ? no offense can u keep it simple with a
"in my opinion your effextivess of doing that is bout XX %"
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650424 is a reply to message #650416] Mon, 25 April 2016 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, I clearly told you my opinion.

It is a little bit strange, saying that you can't (or don't want to) ask the admin to provide working environment for you. It doesn't matter that you are a new employee; why wouldn't you be allowed to ASK for something you need in order to do your job?

On the other hand, it sounds as if you applied for that job, and that one of the requirements was Apex 4.2 knowledge while you don't actually know/use it, which - in turn - means that you lied about your capabilities so you desperately need to put your hands and eyes onto 4.2 before the employee finds that out. If that's correct, you might find yourself in trouble.

Saying that you'll practice 4.2 on 5.0, thinking that the only difference is component vs. tree view, is delusion. There are similarities, but there are significant differences as well. Once you switch to 4.2 (after practicing on 5.0), I'm afraid that you'll be puzzled, trying to find properties which just aren't where you expect them to be.

So, how effective will you be? No idea, so I'll just repeat myself: good luck!
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650439 is a reply to message #650424] Mon, 25 April 2016 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Janning

1) I told you I didn't want to get into a debate about the "whys"
2) Don't tell me I "lied"....REALLY? You have NO idea what you're talking about. (FYI they absolutely know my APEX limitations)

"YOU" are the type of opinionated/negative person I want to avoid....don't reply to me again.

Is there ANYBODY else out there?
Re: Open APEX app outside my network [message #650533 is a reply to message #650439] Wed, 27 April 2016 02:05 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Unfortunately, OraFAQ forum lacks in experienced Apex people. Maybe you should check (a large) Oracle Application Express Community and see what they think.
Previous Topic: LOV with multiple selected value
Next Topic: Get Value from Drop Down
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 00:39:42 CDT 2024