Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Inserting data into local partitioned index vs global partitioned index (Oracle 11g)
Inserting data into local partitioned index vs global partitioned index [message #648981] Wed, 09 March 2016 07:32 Go to next message
sasisan09
Hi All,

Tried to search in the google but that did not help much.

Background:
We are trying to change a Global partitioned index to local partitioned index as our client thought its easier to maintain. However they were seeing some performance issues in some APIs (querying the tables for which the index was updated) so we reverted back to the Global partitioned index.

Question:
Now client noticed that there are couple of other API's that are seeing increased response times where we are inserting data into the tables when the partitions are reverted (from local to global). Was curious to know if this could be possible that the change in the index can impact the performance on insert. If someone could answer this it will be helpful for me to understand such considerations when doing any such changes in future.

Note: The performance when it was earlier Global partitioned index is similar to the performance when it was reverted.

Possibly the solution for this problem might be to check if we can tune the queries that were accessing the tables (with local partitioned indexes).

Regards
Sasidhar
Re: Inserting data into local partitioned index vs global partitioned index [message #648983 is a reply to message #648981] Wed, 09 March 2016 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Well, thinking about how you feedback (or rather you do not) to our answers, I think I will not help you once again.
For instance, you ended your first topic with "Will update with my findings!" and we are still waiting for them.

Re: Inserting data into local partitioned index vs global partitioned index [message #648984 is a reply to message #648983] Wed, 09 March 2016 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sasisan09
Sorry Michel, I seems to have missed out to respond on that which is important. I ll try to respond on them ASAP. You may respond only after seeing my responses on earlier posts.

Sorry for the trouble caused.

Regards
Sasidhar
Re: Inserting data into local partitioned index vs global partitioned index [message #649007 is a reply to message #648981] Wed, 09 March 2016 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Rebuilding indexes (which you must have done when changing the partitioning) will often cause DML to degrade for a while, because all the blocks will be full. So you get a lot of block splits until the indexes stabilizes with enough free space.
Re: Inserting data into local partitioned index vs global partitioned index [message #649062 is a reply to message #649007] Fri, 11 March 2016 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sasisan09
Thank you John for your response, Generally how much time can we expect before which the indexes stabilizes?

Regards
Sasidhar
Re: Inserting data into local partitioned index vs global partitioned index [message #649065 is a reply to message #649062] Fri, 11 March 2016 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
In principle, index blocks are 100% full after a rebuild and 50% full after a split (unless it is a monotonically increasing key). So the index will stabilize at 75% full. You'll need to monitor the index stats to see how long it takes.
Re: Inserting data into local partitioned index vs global partitioned index [message #649178 is a reply to message #649065] Wed, 16 March 2016 01:12 Go to previous message
sasisan09
Thank John for your inputs. Appreciate your help.

Regards
Sasidhar
Previous Topic: package -error
Next Topic: Get all installments based on several plans (get unique values based on a single column)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 12:14:05 CDT 2024