Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » quoting string in multiple lines (Oracle 11.2.0.3)
quoting string in multiple lines [message #648254] Fri, 19 February 2016 06:54 Go to next message
pointers
Hi,

I would like to assign a query to a bind variable using query string. Query spawn across multiple rows (100s of lines having union all satements).

The below sample code works alright from a script file

variable c clob;
exec :c:= q'[select * from dual where 'bb'='bb']'

But error is thrown when the query is split across multiple lines.
variable c clob;
exec :c:= q'[select * from dual 
              where 'bb'='bb']'
exec :c:= q'[select * from dual
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00900: invalid SQL statement

Appending '-' at the end of the line will solve the problem but is there any alternative approach as this leads to appends 100s of line with '-'

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,
Pointers
Re: quoting string in multiple lines [message #648255 is a reply to message #648254] Fri, 19 February 2016 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flyboy
Hi,

just do not use sqlplus statement EXECUTE, wrap the code between PL/SQL block executable part start/end (BEGIN/END;).

Some good reading for you: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16604/ch_twelve022.htm#SQPUG043
Quote:
If your EXECUTE command cannot fit on one line because of the PL/SQL statement, use the SQL*Plus continuation character (a hyphen).
The length of the command and the PL/SQL statement cannot exceed the length defined by SET LINESIZE.

And another: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16604/ch_four.htm#i1039663
Re: quoting string in multiple lines [message #648259 is a reply to message #648255] Fri, 19 February 2016 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pointers
Thank you for the details.

I could declare all the queries by assigning to PL/SQL variables inside an anonymous block.
But I would like to have this in a separate script (say "first.sql") and refer these variables in different script (say "second.sql").

In the second script, all these variables are passed as arguments to a function which executes the query and generates CSV file.

How could this be achieved.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Pointers
Re: quoting string in multiple lines [message #648261 is a reply to message #648259] Fri, 19 February 2016 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flyboy
Is it not the same question you asked in the previous topic (http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/200064/)?

According to EXECUTE vs. PL/SQL block - as you used two EXECUTE statements, just use (and execute) two PL/SQL blocks. The manipulation with the bind variables will stay unchanged.

I am not sure what "I could declare all the queries by assigning to PL/SQL variables inside an anonymous block." exactly means.
But, if you mean declaring the variables inside the PL/SQL blocks, you do not have to do it (change the current code), so just do not do it. Any problem?
Re: quoting string in multiple lines [message #648266 is a reply to message #648254] Fri, 19 February 2016 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
SQL*PLus command EXECUTE requires single line. You can use dash which is line continuation character (when used as last character):

SQL> variable c clob;
SQL> exec :c:= q'[select * from dual -
> where 'bb'='bb']'

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SQL>

However technically it is not the same:

SQL> variable c clob;
SQL> exec :c:= q'[select * from dual -
>             where 'bb'='bb']'

SQL> print c

C
-----------------------------------------------
select * from dual              where 'bb'='bb'

SQL> begin
  2      :c := q'[select * from dual
  3               where 'bb'='bb']';
  4  end;
  5  /

SQL> print c

C
-----------------------------------------------
select * from dual
             where 'bb'='bb'

SQL> 

SY.
Re: quoting string in multiple lines [message #648407 is a reply to message #648261] Tue, 23 February 2016 01:58 Go to previous message
pointers
Thank you.. This solved my problem.

Regards,
Pointers
Previous Topic: Join 2 select statements
Next Topic: Ref cursor ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 01:07:10 CDT 2024