Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » unrelated procedure goes invalid (Oracle 11.2.0.2.0, Solaris)
unrelated procedure goes invalid [message #648161] Wed, 17 February 2016 15:58 Go to next message
uman2631
I have two procedures, call them Procedure A and Procedure B. They do very different things, and the only object they share is that they both select from the same table, and they both use UTL_FILE.

If I make a minor code change to Procedure A, Procedure B goes invalid. I cannot figure out why. Nor does Oracle try to recompile the invalid procedure "on the fly," as I thought it would, it just fails to execute Procedure B. Recompiling Procedure B (with no code changes of course), always fixes the problem. But I can't figure out why Procedure B is going invalid at all. The usual suspects don't seem to pan out: the only dependent object is this one table, the associated public synonym and UTL_FILE, none of which is modified in any way. No changes to any grants. Procedure B code is not modified at all. A select from DBA_DEPENDENCIES on Procedure B shows only the synonym (which is not changing) and UTL_FILE (which is not changing). A select from DBA_DEPENDENCIES on Procedure A shows the synonym, UTL_FILE, and 2 other synonyms/tables that it uses that Procedure B does not (and are not changing). I'm confuddled.

Any ideas?
Re: unrelated procedure goes invalid [message #648162 is a reply to message #648161] Wed, 17 February 2016 16:06 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
one of two possibilities exist.
Oracle is correct & you are mistaken.
You are correct & Oracle is mistaken.

I bet that Oracle better reports reality than you.
If you are correct, your only recourse is to submit Service Request to MOS

Can you reproduce what you report in more than 1 database?
How can we reproduce what you report?

Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:
OraFAQ Forum Guide
How to use {code} tags and make your code easier to read

Previous Topic: query start_date and end_Date
Next Topic: Minus query with string values (merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:58:12 CDT 2024