Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Create a temporary/transient table within a SELECT (Oracle Enterprise 11g 11.2.0.4.0)
Create a temporary/transient table within a SELECT [message #640702] Tue, 04 August 2015 04:06 Go to next message
johnjacobt
Hi,

Is there an shorter way to create the transient table created by line numbers 2 till 20 in the query shown below?

SQL> SELECT * FROM
  2         (SELECT '123_IN' EMP_ID, 'Rahul' Buddy FROM DUAL
  3          UNION
  4          SELECT '234_US', 'Steve' FROM DUAL
  5          UNION
  6          SELECT '345_JP', 'Akira' FROM DUAL
  7          UNION
  8          SELECT '238_US', 'John' FROM DUAL
  9          UNION
10          SELECT '674_IN', 'Uma' FROM DUAL
11          UNION
12          SELECT '738_NW', 'Andre' FROM DUAL
13          UNION
14          SELECT '614_IL', 'Meirav' FROM DUAL
15          UNION
16          SELECT '742_UK', 'Darren' FROM DUAL
17          UNION
18          SELECT '655_US', 'Chris' FROM DUAL
19          UNION
20          SELECT '506_UK', 'Gary' FROM DUAL)
21  WHERE EMP_Name LIKE '%re%';

EMP_ID BUDDY
------ -----
738_NW Andre
742_UK Darren

My Objective:
I have the above data where Buddy (column 2) is a temporary name employees with emp_id (column 1) has selected for themselves. Column 1 is available in an HR Database. Column 2 is not available in the DB, it is manually collected in a sheet of paper every month beginning. I have a query that fetches many details about employees from the HR database. After fetching the data I manually add a column with the Buddy name against respective emp ID's. I have to do this activity on a daily basis each month. The buddy name info does not change, so I want to plug the buddy names right into the query (as a one time activity) and do a join, so that I don't have to manually insert the column every time.

The above code works for me but makes my query look very huge as I have about 20 buddy names every month. So I am looking for a shorter solution from a usability perspective.

I have noticed a somewhat similar problem and solution in Stackoverflow. But I'm not able to figure out how to use this with 2 columns.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Create a temporary/transient table within a SELECT [message #640705 is a reply to message #640702] Tue, 04 August 2015 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

1) First, you should not fake your output, it is most likely that your post will be skipped without more reading as soon as we see you "lie" (WHERE EMP_Name LIKE '%re%')

2) Anyway you have to enter the names, in the query, in a permanent table (using INSERT), in an Excel sheet or whatever you can think as permanent storage to be read afterwards you have to write the names.

3) 40 lines for a query is not huge above all when they are just "select from dual" and "union all"; you will see many examples of such things just to show a demo.

Re: Create a temporary/transient table within a SELECT [message #640709 is a reply to message #640705] Tue, 04 August 2015 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnjacobt
Michel Cadot wrote on Tue, 04 August 2015 15:38

1) First, you should not fake your output, it is most likely that your post will be skipped without more reading as soon as we see you "lie" (WHERE EMP_Name LIKE '%re%')

You're right in this respect. I made last minute changes to the column name just before I submitted the post. My intention was to give a more meaningful name to the column than what I used when ran the query in SQL Plus.

2) Anyway you have to enter the names, in the query, in a permanent table (using INSERT), in an Excel sheet or whatever you can think as permanent storage to be read afterwards you have to write the names.

I don't have write access to the data base, so I will not be able to insert.

3) 40 lines for a query is not huge above all when they are just "select from dual" and "union all"; you will see many examples of such things just to show a demo.

The query may not be heavy as such to the system. But it would look very bulky as the remaining part of the query (to which I intend to plug these 40 lines) is already about 500 words spread over 29 lines. Hence my interest in finding a shorter way of doing it.
Re: Create a temporary/transient table within a SELECT [message #640710 is a reply to message #640709] Tue, 04 August 2015 06:17 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

As I said, you have to write them somewhere.
You can put them in a file and read it using an external table.
You can put them in an Excel sheet and build your query using VBA and ODBC/OLE DB.
You can put them in a file and generate the query with a simple shell script.
the only limit is your imagination.

Previous Topic: Generating group of sets from table
Next Topic: only show the duplicated records
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:34:56 CDT 2024