Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type (oracle 10g, forms and reports devsuite)
how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #636683] Thu, 30 April 2015 04:14 Go to next message
lacchhii

Hi,

I have a field as number datatype to enter the mobile numbers of pensioners. By oversight wildcard like %, $, # are being entered in this field leading to data errors while sending SMS alert to pensioners.

Is there any way to restrict entering these wild card while data entry.

If so any code that should be done in the field may be suggested please.

thanks in advance
Re: how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #636691 is a reply to message #636683] Thu, 30 April 2015 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
lacchhii wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 14:44

I have a field as number datatype to enter the mobile numbers of pensioners. By oversight wildcard like %, $, # are being entered in this field

How is the data loaded into the table? Are they plain inserts? Because the number data type won't allow to enter anything other than NUMBER.

SQL> CREATE TABLE t(A NUMBER);

Table created.

SQL>
SQL> INSERT INTO t SELECT '%' FROM dual;
INSERT INTO t SELECT '%' FROM dual
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01722: invalid number

SQL> INSERT INTO t SELECT '$' FROM dual;
INSERT INTO t SELECT '$' FROM dual
ERROR at line 1:

SQL> INSERT INTO t SELECT '#' FROM dual;
INSERT INTO t SELECT '#' FROM dual
ERROR at line 1:

SQL>
Re: how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #636705 is a reply to message #636691] Thu, 30 April 2015 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I have a field as number datatype to enter the mobile numbers of pensioners. By oversight wildcard like %, $, # are being entered in this field

I don't believe you.

Post SQL & results that show above is true.
Re: how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #637109 is a reply to message #636705] Sun, 10 May 2015 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lacchhii

sorry everyone for the confusion i created.

the datatype of the mobile field happens to be varchar2 and not number as previously mentioned by me.

I tried to change the datatype to number the software did not open. It seems to have an impact on other fields also. Hence reverted back to the original character datatype itself

I came to know about isnumaric function to solve my problem

I created a function in the form level as mentioned below

FUNCTION ISNUMARIC(P_VAL VARCHAR2) RETURN CHAR IS
VTEST NUMBER;

BEGIN

VTEST:=P_VAL;

RETURN 'NO';

EXCEPTION 

WHEN OTHERS THEN

RETURN 'CHAR';

END;

and in the particular field added a when validate item trigger

if isnumaric(:APEN.APEN_BR_MOBILE_NO) = 'char' then 

message('please check the Phone no..');
	message('please check the Phone no..');

raise form_trigger_failure;
end if;

This is based on some of the suggestion i got while google search. But its not stopping the wild card being entered. Its not giving the message as per the code.

Could some one please correct my code to suit the requirement.

Thanks in advance
Re: how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #637110 is a reply to message #637109] Sun, 10 May 2015 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
'char' is not equal to 'CHAR' as in below
>RETURN 'CHAR';
>if isnumaric(:APEN.APEN_BR_MOBILE_NO) = 'char'
Re: how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #637113 is a reply to message #637110] Mon, 11 May 2015 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lacchhii

THANKS A LOT SIR.

It worked after changing 'char' to 'CHAR'.

one more request for the sake of learning. I came across ISNUMARIC AND IS_NUMBER while searching for solution

Is there any difference between the two. when do we use isnumaric and is_number.
Re: how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #637115 is a reply to message #637113] Mon, 11 May 2015 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Maybe if you read the code of both you will see the differences?
Anyway, none is an Oracle supplied function and as for all custom functions they can be what the developer wants (or wishes) to do. I bet you can find many "is_number" or "isnumber" functions with different codes, even several of mines.

Re: how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #637138 is a reply to message #637115] Mon, 11 May 2015 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
Just a suggestion. You should return varchar2, not char. Using char is just asking for problems in code or table.
Re: how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #637139 is a reply to message #636683] Mon, 11 May 2015 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CraigB
How are users entering the data? Based on the title of your post and the products affected, it seems like you are using Oracle Forms for data entry. If this is the case, why not put a "Format Mask" on the associated data item in your form and would only allow numbers. For more information about format masks and how to set it, navigate to the property pallet of the item and go to the "Format Mask" property and press F1 to bring up the Forms Help topic...

Craig...
Re: how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #637154 is a reply to message #637139] Mon, 11 May 2015 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lacchhii

Craig

Thanks for your suggestion. AS you said i am using oracle forms for data entry. I have another problem now.

Any corrections to the oracle forms is done in windows in client system . We use oracle 10g and linux os in server.

Once the function isnumeric is done and compiled in linux the form as well as the coding done is working fine.

But now when i try to open the same form in windows to put format mask instead of the function it crashes. The form is not opening and i will not be able to make any more changes unless i revert back to the original form without the isnumeric function.

Is there any reason why the form crashes in windows 7 64 bit OS while all other forms except this form is opening. This form happens to be the main form with all functions / procedures written.

Also as per the format mask help it says use 9999 to enter only number.

01) Can i use this for a varchar data type also. I was using it only for number datatype

02) It also says oracle leaves a space in the front to accommodate + or - . Then should i have to write 9999999999 (10 times 9) to accommodate 10 digit mobile no. Mobile no field size is kept as 10

Any suggestion to solve this will be of great help.
Re: how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #637187 is a reply to message #637154] Tue, 12 May 2015 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CraigB
Quote:
Is there any reason why the form crashes in windows 7 64 bit OS while all other forms except this form is opening. This form happens to be the main form with all functions / procedures written.

There are numerous reasons that could cause this, but we need to know your Forms Version in order to start offering suggested fixes. Some versions of Oracle Forms are not compatible with Windows 7 as well as 64-bit OSes.
Quote:
01) Can i use this for a varchar data type also. I was using it only for number datatype

Yes, it should work just fine for a VARCHAR data type.
Quote:
02) It also says oracle leaves a space in the front to accommodate + or - . Then should i have to write 9999999999 (10 times 9) to accommodate 10 digit mobile no. Mobile no field size is kept as 10

No, Oracle does this internally - you don't have to count for this in your format mask.

Craig...
Re: how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #637209 is a reply to message #637187] Tue, 12 May 2015 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lacchhii

Quote:

There are numerous reasons that could cause this, but we need to know your Forms Version in order to start offering suggested fixes. Some versions of Oracle Forms are not compatible with Windows 7 as well as 64-bit OSes.

01) Sorry for pasting the whole details about my oracle forms. Didnt know what all was required.

Forms [32 Bit] Version 10.1.2.0.2 (Production)
Oracle Toolkit Version 10.1.2.0.2 (Production)
PL/SQL Version 10.1.0.4.2 (Production)
Oracle Procedure Builder V10.1.2.0.2 - Production
PL/SQL Editor (c) WinMain Software (www.winmain.com), v1.0 (Production)
Oracle Query Builder 10.1.2.0.2 - Production
Oracle Virtual Graphics System Version 10.1.2.0.2 (Production)
Oracle Tools GUI Utilities Version 10.1.2.0.2 (Production)
Oracle Multimedia Version 10.1.2.0.2 (Production)
Oracle Tools Integration Version 10.1.2.0.2 (Production)
Oracle Tools Common Area Version 10.1.2.0.2
Oracle CORE 10.1.0.4.0 Production

02) I removed the isnumeric function written in the form and followed the suggestion to change the format mask.

I encountered the following problems

a) When i entered 9 only 1 time i.e only 9, then i was unable to enter more than 1 digit.

b) When i entered 9 10 times then i was able to enter the 10 digit mobile number and the required error message came if wild card was entered.

This solved the problem, but there are cases where mobile numbers are not furnished or wrongly furnished with only 9 digits or so. The field does not allow null values and we have to enter 0 if mobile nos are not given or whatever the mobile number was furnished even if its 8 or 9 digits.

This format mask does not allow if numbers less than 10 digits are entered.

How to go about this problem.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestion offered.

Re: how to avoid wild card being entered in a number data type [message #637252 is a reply to message #637209] Wed, 13 May 2015 08:55 Go to previous message
CraigB
Quote:
But now when i try to open the same form in windows to put format mask instead of the function it crashes. The form is not opening and i will not be able to make any more changes unless i revert back to the original form without the isnumeric function.

Your "isnumeric" function seems pretty straight forward. When you compile all PL/SQL in a form, Forms stores the byte code of the compiled PL/SQL blocks in the form. You could be dealing with a situation where there is invalid/corrupt byte code causing the Forms Builder to crash. You can force the Forms Builder to dump all PL/SQL byte code by using the PL/SQL Find and Replace option and search for and replace all semicolans (Wink with a semicolon (Wink. Since all triggers and stored procedures have a semicolon this forces Forms Builder to invalidate all PL/SQL in the form and drop the stored byte code. If you save your Form at this point, you will notice a significant change in the file size.

Quote:
Is there any reason why the form crashes in windows 7 64 bit OS while all other forms except this form is opening.

Well, for one thing, you are using a version of Oracle Forms that is not supported on 64-bit OS and Windows 7. If you have a support contract with Oracle, I suggest you download and install Patchset 3 for Oracle Developer Suite (ODS) 10g. This alone could cause the Forms Builder to behave erratically. If you don't have a support contract, then you may want to consider using Windows XP Mode or some other Virtual Machine (VM) with Windows XP and run the Forms Builder in the VM.

Quote:
This format mask does not allow if numbers less than 10 digits are entered.

Show us what you entered in the Format Mask property. When I tested this with either "9999999999" or "FM9999999999" it worked just fine. I received an error if I entered Alpha characters and if I entered 1 to 9 digits it accepted the value. Do you have a When-Validate-Item (WVI) trigger on the item that is forcing a 10 digit value?

Craig...
Previous Topic: ORACLE FORMS 10.1.2
Next Topic: How to Restrict user to close window in forms 10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:06:46 CDT 2024