Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Why "SQL command not properly ended" error on one and not on the other? (Oracle SQL)
Why "SQL command not properly ended" error on one and not on the other? [message #634795] Mon, 16 March 2015 05:31 Go to next message
Adam Brave
I've two update statements launched by an "Execute Immediate" function. One works ok but the other throws an "SQL command not properly ended" error.

Statement working fine:
EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'UPDATE myTable SET column_xpto = ' ||my_var|| ' WHERE myTable.name_table = '''||nameT||'''';

Statement NOT working:
EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'UPDATE myTable SET column_X = ' ||my_other_var|| ' WHERE myTable.name_table = '''||nameT||'''';

The variable 'my_var' is a NUMBER type while the variable 'my_other_var' is a timestamp(6), initializated with CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.

desc myTable 
Name             Null     Type          
---------------- -------- ------------- 
NAME_TABLE       NOT NULL VARCHAR2(200) 
column_xpto               NUMBER              
column_X                  TIMESTAMP(6)

Does anyone know why the second statement gives an error?
Re: Why "SQL command not properly ended" error on one and not on the other? [message #634796 is a reply to message #634795] Mon, 16 March 2015 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
For the same reason that the static versions would fail.
This is fine:
UPDATE mytable SET COLUMN = 6;

This isn't:
UPDATE mytable SET COLUMN2 = 16-MAR-15 11.40.25.537261 +01:00;

When you hard-code values in a SQL statement you've only actually got two datatypes available - number and varchar, and concating the variable value into the string gives the same result as hard-coding.
To get any other datatype you need to use the appropriate conversion function (to_timestamp for example) on a string.

If you had used bind variables you wouldn't have this problem.
If you'd just used static SQL referencing the variables directly you wouldn't have this problem - and there doesn't appear to be any need to use dynamic SQL in your examples.
Re: Why "SQL command not properly ended" error on one and not on the other? [message #634797 is a reply to message #634796] Mon, 16 March 2015 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam Brave
This solved the problem:

(...) SET column_X = ''' ||my_other_var|| ''' WHERE (...)

[Updated on: Mon, 16 March 2015 06:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Why "SQL command not properly ended" error on one and not on the other? [message #634799 is a reply to message #634797] Mon, 16 March 2015 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
That's not a good idea. Should the sessions nls_timestamp_format be changed you could lose data.
If you really need dynamic sql use bind variables:
EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'UPDATE myTable SET column_X = :a WHERE myTable.name_table = :b' USING my_other_var, nameT;

Re: Why "SQL command not properly ended" error on one and not on the other? [message #634802 is a reply to message #634799] Mon, 16 March 2015 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam Brave
Why? In case of the timestamp format be changed, the 'my_other_var' remains with the timestamp type, so wouldn't the variable store the date with the new format?
The variable nameT would also be affected?

Thanks in advance!
Re: Why "SQL command not properly ended" error on one and not on the other? [message #634804 is a reply to message #634802] Mon, 16 March 2015 06:49 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Why what?

In addition, it is a very bad idea to use lower case and even more mixed case as column (or table) names.

Quote:
the variable store the date with the new format?

This is meaningless, a (real) date is stored in no (human) format.

Previous Topic: having clause is working before group by , why ?
Next Topic: rank
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:20:47 CDT 2024