Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » installing form builder on windows 7 (forms 10g windows 7 )
installing form builder on windows 7 [message #629643] Sat, 13 December 2014 11:08 Go to next message
m_shehpar
Hi all,

Somebody please help me with the question. Please guide me, is there any way I could successfully install oracle development suite 10g on windows 7 64 bit ??

Or is there any kernel extension of Windows 7 32 bit available, which could support using the max installed RAM, as Red Hat linux has its kernel extensions available (including the one we use el5PAE)

Kindly help.

Regards

Shabbir
Re: installing form builder on windows 7 [message #629647 is a reply to message #629643] Sat, 13 December 2014 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I have just replied to another question, here. Check what I do & follow my steps (or, possibly, wait for another opinion).
Re: installing form builder on windows 7 [message #629713 is a reply to message #629647] Mon, 15 December 2014 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CraigB
Forms 10g will work fine on Windows 7 64 bit - even though this is not officially supported by Oracle. There are a couple of pre-installation steps you need to complete before you attempt the install. The steps are:
1. Modify Windows configuration to "manually" define the Min and Max Virtual Memory settings. The Oracle installer can't verify "System Managed" virtual memory. I recommend the Min/Max settings of 2024 and 3096. You will have to restart your computer for these changes to take affect.
2. The Oracle installer checks for specific versions of Windows. Windows 7 (version 6) is not in the list. Therefore you have to run the installer in "Compatibility Mode" for Windows XP. Also, all Oracle products require "Administrative" privileges in order to install and run correctly. You can fix both of these issues by Right-clicking on the setup.exe and select Properties. Click on the "Compatibility" tab and check the checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and at the bottom of the tab, check the checkbox "Run this program as an administrator".

After you have completed these two pre-installation steps, your installation should be successful. Once your installation is successful, you can change your Virtual Memory settings back to their default value of "System Managed."

One final comment, Oracle Products are designed for a business environment so if your computer is not on a Network, you will likely need to install the Microsoft Loopback Adapter to emulate a network.

Craig...
Re: installing form builder on windows 7 [message #629747 is a reply to message #629713] Mon, 15 December 2014 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Thank you, Craig! I've never seen such a good walkthrough the installation process.

That's tempting ... I might even give it a try (on yet another VirtualBox machine). I kind of like dedicated virtual machines because when I get a new computer, it is matter of minutes to set everything up as all I have to do is to copy VM to another computer. But, if it really works, I might get rid of XP. Tempting, tempting ...
Re: installing form builder on windows 7 [message #629848 is a reply to message #629747] Tue, 16 December 2014 08:51 Go to previous message
CraigB
@Littlefoot, I agree with the ease of using a VM to transfer your installation and configuration between computers...I just don't like the overhead (slowness) of a VM. I haven't tried VirtualBox, but I've uses Microsoft's "Windows 7 XP Mode" which is their version of a Virtual Machine.

Using the installation steps I listed, I've been using Oracle Forms/Reports 10g (as well as Forms/Reports 6i) on Windows 7 (64- bit) with very little stability problems.

Craig...
Previous Topic: how to use Cursor for loop ?
Next Topic: 305500 non-oracle-exception in oracle form
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:00:23 CDT 2024