Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Procedure for counting rows in a table
Procedure for counting rows in a table [message #629020] Tue, 02 December 2014 05:54 Go to next message
internship
I need to write a procedure that has these parameters:
p_transaction_id (number),
p_session_id(number),
p_module(varchar2),
p_row_size (number default null),
p_date_from (optional),
p_date_to(optional)

The procedure outputs (dbms_output) rows out of the table1 which has these columns:
transaction_id (number),
session_id(number),
module(varchar2),
entry_date(date)

If the row_size is 0 or null, then it must return maximum of 1000 rows. One of the parameters transaction_id, session_id, module is mandatory, so I have to perform a control on the input parameters and return the right exception if all of the 3 parameters are empty. Those 3 parameters work as a filter in the where clause. If, for example,the parameter transaction_id is null, then that column is not considered in the output. So, if I entered transaction_id, it means that it will perform this:

select * from table1 where transaction_id=p_transaction_id;

Also date_from and date_to are included in the where clause. If for example, date_from is entered, then you get the data from that date and forward, if it is not entered then I must get all the data. The same is applied with date_to only backwards.

Can anyone help?
Re: Procedure for counting rows in a table [message #629021 is a reply to message #629020] Tue, 02 December 2014 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Quote:
Can anyone help?

Probably, but I would suggest that tyou show that you aren't just looking for other people to do your work for you and show that you have actually attempted to code some of this yourself.
Re: Procedure for counting rows in a table [message #629022 is a reply to message #629021] Tue, 02 December 2014 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
internship
Well, I have created the begining of the procedure and I'm stuck at the logic I must use for controling the input parameters.. I've never done that so it is challenging to seek a solution.

create or replace procedure proc1 (
P_TRANSACTION_ID in number,
P_SESSION_ID in number,
P_MODULE in varchar2,
P_ROW_SIZE in number default null,
P_DATE_FROM in date default null,
P_DATE_TO in date default null)
is
begin
select * from table1 where P_TRANSACTION_ID=TRANSACTION_ID or P_SESSION_ID=SESSION_ID or P_MODULE=MODULE;
dbms_output.put_line(--rows);
end;
Re: Procedure for counting rows in a table [message #629023 is a reply to message #629022] Tue, 02 December 2014 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
OK,
1. It's unusual for a normal business requirement to rely on dbms_output, is that definitely hwat is required?
2. Do you have any experience of working with cursors in PL/SQL?
3. Here's a hint, see what the below gives you when you use it in a 'normal' query and replace the P_TRANSACTION_ID with either a null or a specific value.
where nvl(P_TRANSACTION_ID, TRANSACTION_ID)= TRANSACTION_ID
Re: Procedure for counting rows in a table [message #629029 is a reply to message #629023] Tue, 02 December 2014 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
@OP, search documentation for SYS REFCURSOR and OPEN FOR statement.
Re: Procedure for counting rows in a table [message #629116 is a reply to message #629029] Wed, 03 December 2014 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
internship
The procedure outputs (dbms_output) rows out of the table1 which has these columns:
transaction_id (number), session_id(number), module(varchar2), entry_date(date)

I need to write a procedure that has these parameters:
p_transaction_id (number),p_session_id(number),p_module(varchar2),p_return_rows (number default null),p_date_from (optional),p_date_to(optional)

If p_return_rows is 0 or null, then it must return maximum of 1000 rows. One of the parameters transaction_id, session_id, module is mandatory, so I have to perform a control on the input parameters and return the right exception if all of the 3 parameters are empty. Those 3 parameters work as a filter in the where clause. If for example,the parameter transaction_id is null, then that column is not considered in the output. So, if I entered transaction_id, it means that it will perform this:
select * from table1 where transaction_id=p_transaction_id;

Also date_from and date_to are included in the where clause. If for example, date_from is entered, then you get the data from that date and forward, if it is not entered then I must get all the data. The same is applied with date_to only backwards.

Internet has been down, so i couldn't reply. here are the updates:
First of all I have wrongly asked the community for help, I don't won't the row number I want actual rows to be outputed if the parameters are satisfied.
This is what i have done so far and i need help especially for dbms_output because it gives me number of rows instead of actual rows from the table1.

create or replace PROCEDURE PROC1(
P_TRANSACTION_ID IN NUMBER,
P_SESSION_ID IN NUMBER,
P_MODULE IN VARCHAR2,
P_RETURN_ROWS IN NUMBER DEFAULT NULL,
P_DATE_FROM IN DATE DEFAULT NULL,
P_DATE_TO IN DATE DEFAULT NULL)
IS
type ALL_table1_TYPE
is
TABLE OF table1%ROWTYPE INDEX BY pls_integer;
V_ALL ALL_table1_TYPE;
v_row pls_integer;
BEGIN
SELECT * bulk collect
INTO V_ALL
FROM table1
where
TRANSACTION_ID =P_TRANSACTION_ID
AND (p_transaction_id IS NULL)
OR (p_transaction_id IS NOT NULL
and TRANSACTION_ID = P_TRANSACTION_ID)
AND (P_session_id IS NULL)
or (P_SESSION_ID is not null
and SESSION_ID = P_SESSION_ID)
AND (p_module IS NULL)
or (P_MODULE is not null
and MODULE = P_MODULE)
and (P_DATE_FROM is null)
or (ENTRY_TIME >= P_DATE_FROM);
v_row :=v_all.first;
WHILE (v_row IS NOT NULL)
LOOP
dbms_output.put_line ('Rows are: ' || v_all(v_row));
v_row := v_all.next(v_row);
END LOOP;
END;
Re: Procedure for counting rows in a table [message #629119 is a reply to message #629116] Wed, 03 December 2014 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
That code is basically unreadable.
Please read and follow How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read?
And then find an online code formatter and learn what it does with indentation and white space.

If you want to print the rows with dbms_output then you will have to pass each individual column to put_line.
Re: Procedure for counting rows in a table [message #629120 is a reply to message #629119] Wed, 03 December 2014 08:37 Go to previous message
cookiemonster
And OR's should always be bracketed, otherwise you'll get results you don't expect.
ie don't do
SELECT *
FROM ...
WHERE ....
AND ....
AND ...
OR ....

do do:
SELECT *
FROM ...
WHERE ....
AND ....
(AND ...
 OR ....
)
Previous Topic: Order by clause
Next Topic: ORA-01010 Invalid OCI Operation during SCHEDULER job procedure that selects from db link
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:45:44 CDT 2024