Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Unable to execute private procedure at SQL prompt (O/S:Windows 8; Product: Oracle; version: Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production)
Unable to execute private procedure at SQL prompt [message #628826] Fri, 28 November 2014 15:22 Go to next message
buggleboy007
I have created a private procedure in a package and am trying to call it at SQL * PLUS (prompt) through the following statement:

exec BWAKPLNS.p_sendmail('stanjore@abcxxx.ca','stanjore@abcxxx.ca','stanjore@abcxxx.ca', NULL, NULL);

I am constantly getting an error :

ORA-06550: line 1, column 16:
PLS-00302: component 'P_SENDMAIL' must be declared

Question is can a private procedure be referenced or called in the SQL prompt and if not, how does one call it?
(I have never worked on private procedures; the private procedure has compiled successfully yesteraday)

I looked into Oracle manual and this is what it says:

For example, a package might contain ten procedures. However, the package can be defined so that only three procedures are public and therefore available for execution by a user of the package; the remainder of the procedures are private and can only be accessed by the procedures within the package.

The first part says that those three procedures can be accessed by a user who has the privilegs via package name.procedure name ; however not sure what he means by "the remainder of the
procedures are private and can only be accessed by the procedures within the package."

Can any one help me?

Thanks,
Sandeep
Re: Unable to execute private procedure at SQL prompt [message #628828 is a reply to message #628826] Fri, 28 November 2014 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>exec BWAKPLNS.p_sendmail('stanjore@abcxxx.ca','stanjore@abcxxx.ca','stanjore@abcxxx.ca', NULL, NULL);

you must be logged in as user BWAKPLNS or have been issued direct GRANT to this procedure.
Re: Unable to execute private procedure at SQL prompt [message #628829 is a reply to message #628828] Fri, 28 November 2014 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
BWAKPLNS is a package. so I am calling packagename.privateprocedure name at SQL*PLUS.

I kind of see and make sense about being issued GRANT privilege. I am new in this firm and will have to ascertain if I have the necessary rights to execute objects or not.

How come it does not say "insufficient privileges" if I don't have the privilege as opposed to a different error message?
Re: Unable to execute private procedure at SQL prompt [message #628830 is a reply to message #628829] Fri, 28 November 2014 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
buggleboy007 wrote on Fri, 28 November 2014 13:37
BWAKPLNS is a package. so I am calling packagename.privateprocedure name at SQL*PLUS.

I kind of see and make sense about being issued GRANT privilege. I am new in this firm and will have to ascertain if I have the necessary rights to execute objects or not.

How come it does not say "insufficient privileges" if I don't have the privilege as opposed to a different error message?

I only know what you post here.

If Oracle determines that it can not find the package, it has no way to decide if you have privilege to execute it or not.

Which USER owns this package?
Which USER is trying to execute this package.

Privileges acquired via ROLE do NOT apply within named PL/SQL procedures.
Re: Unable to execute private procedure at SQL prompt [message #628831 is a reply to message #628830] Fri, 28 November 2014 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
This is expected behavior, described in bold typed text in the first message. As you didn't put that procedure's declaration into package specification, it is invisible to the "outside world" (which is your SQL*Plus session in this case). Nobody can see it, except procedures that are contained in package body. Therefore, if you want to be able to use it in SQL*Plus or call it from any procedure (which is not part of that package body), you'll have to declare it in package specification as well.
Re: Unable to execute private procedure at SQL prompt [message #628832 is a reply to message #628831] Fri, 28 November 2014 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>O/S:Windows 8; Product: Oracle; version: Oracle Database 11g

post FULL results from SQL below

SELECT * FROM V$VERSION;

which edition of Windows 8 is running DB Server system?
Re: Unable to execute private procedure at SQL prompt [message #628833 is a reply to message #628831] Fri, 28 November 2014 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
So which means that a private procedure cannot be called outside of the package (if it has not been declared in the package specs). After reading private and public procedures from Oracle documentation(https://docs.oracle.com/cd/A57673_01/DOC/server/doc/SCN73/ch14.htm), my idea too leaned towards the same. However it pays to get a second opinion form veterans like you.

So how can we execute a private procedure at SQL * Plus? there is either no way or the only way is to define the procedure in the package specs? is that right?

Which version of Windows 8 running the DB system. Well, here it is:
 SELECT * FROM V$VERSION
BANNER                                                                           
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production     
PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.3.0 - Production                                           
CORE	11.2.0.3.0	Production                                                         
TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production                                   
NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production  

[Updated on: Fri, 28 November 2014 15:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to execute private procedure at SQL prompt [message #628834 is a reply to message #628833] Fri, 28 November 2014 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Which version of Windows 8 running the DB system. Well, here it is:
>TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production

Color me CONFUSED!

Windows & Linux mix as well as water & oil.

Do NOT tell use what you have or do, just SHOW us using COPY & PASTE.

Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/ and read http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/174502/
Re: Unable to execute private procedure at SQL prompt [message #628835 is a reply to message #628834] Fri, 28 November 2014 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
BlackSwan:

I ran the SELECT * FROM V$VERSION and pasted the results what I saw.

I just asked a simple question (can a private procedure be executed outside of the package; in essence you have replied to it but I am trying to find out how to execute a private procedure and unfortunately cannot). You are confusing yourself by digging questions that could be out of scope for this issue
Re: Unable to execute private procedure at SQL prompt [message #628836 is a reply to message #628835] Fri, 28 November 2014 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I just asked a simple question (can a private procedure be executed outside of the package;

If you actually posted your real PL/SQL code, then we could actually work same code base as you.
Forgive me, but I am not sure what you mean from private procedure.
It may depend upon what other code does or can exist in the same package.

What problem is solved by having it a private procedure?

My stock answer is the NO it can not be done. Can you prove me wrong.
Re: Unable to execute private procedure at SQL prompt [message #628837 is a reply to message #628836] Fri, 28 November 2014 16:29 Go to previous message
buggleboy007
No. I cannot prove you wrong as the proof of pudding lies in it's eating Smile

I am unable to get the private procedure (which has been declared as "forward declarations" and defined in the package body; hence it's a private procedure) execute at SQL * PLUS besides Oracle documentation confirming the same. Lastly you are a veteran on this forum with tons of subject matter expertise. In this case your answer is right.
Previous Topic: FORALL and Associative Arrays
Next Topic: Trigger on before delete
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:13:49 CDT 2024