Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Replace every even number occurance of comma with # in a String (Oracle 11g R2)
Replace every even number occurance of comma with # in a String [message #625914] Thu, 16 October 2014 02:49 Go to next message
javed.khan

Gurus,
Hope everythings good at your side.

I have one requirement
I need to replace every EVEN number of occurrence of comma with '#' in a string
For example

If the string is

Abraham, Sibi M.,Abramenkova, Anna,Abreu, Maria Helena,Acevedo, Liliana,Addy, Ibironke

The out put will be

Abraham, Sibi M.#Abramenkova, Anna#Abreu, Maria Helena#Acevedo, Liliana#Addy, Ibironke 

So here as we can see that the first comma is retained , the second occurrences is replaced with # 3rd is retained and 4rth occurrences is replaced with # and so on.

Thanks & Regards
Javed A. Khan
Re: Replace every even number occurance of comma with # in a String [message #625918 is a reply to message #625914] Thu, 16 October 2014 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Are you sure you need the RULE of every even occurrence? Looking at your sample data it seems, all such occurrences will always have the comma together with other characters before and after.

Like, 'Helena,Acevedo' has 'a,A' together as an expression to be replaced by 'a#A'. Unlike, 'Anna,Abreu, Maria Helena,Acevedo' where the other concurrence of comma has a space immediately after it.
Re: Replace every even number occurance of comma with # in a String [message #625919 is a reply to message #625918] Thu, 16 October 2014 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
javed.khan

Lalit,

Thanks for looking into this.. yes the string will be a mix of Alphabets , spaces and '.' mostly but the rule is to create # on every even number of ','.

Thanks & Regards
Javed A. Khan
Re: Replace every even number occurance of comma with # in a String [message #625920 is a reply to message #625919] Thu, 16 October 2014 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
javed.khan

The Spaces can be eliminated , I will be handle them in a different way...
Re: Replace every even number occurance of comma with # in a String [message #625927 is a reply to message #625914] Thu, 16 October 2014 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

SQL> with data as (
  2    select 'Abraham, Sibi M.,Abramenkova, Anna,Abreu, Maria Helena,Acevedo, Liliana,Addy, Ibironke' val from dual
  3  )
  4  select regexp_replace(val,'([^,]*,[^,]*),','\1#') from data
  5  /
REGEXP_REPLACE(VAL,'([^,]*,[^,]*),','\1#')
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abraham, Sibi M.#Abramenkova, Anna#Abreu, Maria Helena#Acevedo, Liliana#Addy, Ibironke

Re: Replace every even number occurance of comma with # in a String [message #625928 is a reply to message #625927] Thu, 16 October 2014 05:24 Go to previous message
javed.khan

Wow.. Simply Classic Michel.
Thanks Alot , you just saved my day.
This was dependent for 30 more activities i had.

Superb as always.

Thanks a ton.

Javed A. Khan
Previous Topic: Merge collections ?
Next Topic: Need a hand finding the script
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:42:01 CDT 2024