Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways (Oracle 11g)
How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625218] Fri, 03 October 2014 02:47 Go to next message
na.dharma@gmail.com

begin
create table prod(profile_type varchar2(15)) tablespace warehouse_big_Data;

insert into prod values(null);
insert into prod values('Prod');
insert into prod values('Prodparallel');
end;

select * from prod where profile_type='Prod' or profile_type is null
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625219 is a reply to message #625218] Fri, 03 October 2014 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What's wrong with OR?

Anyway: as you currently put it, this returns the same result:
select * from prod where nvl(profile_type, 'Prod') = 'Prod';
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625228 is a reply to message #625219] Fri, 03 October 2014 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
na.dharma@gmail.com

Thanks

If i pass 'Prod' then the select query should return null and prod record
if i pass 'Prodparallel' then the select query should return null and Prodparallel record.

but this query can not achive the above requirement.

select * from prod where nvl(profile_type, 'Prod') = 'Prod';

Can you please tell. the above requirement how can achive with your above query
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625229 is a reply to message #625228] Fri, 03 October 2014 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
First sho3w us how your example from your first post meets the requirements that you stated in your second post;
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625232 is a reply to message #625229] Fri, 03 October 2014 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
You need your original query with the OR. Why do you not want to use it?

[Updated on: Fri, 03 October 2014 07:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625234 is a reply to message #625229] Fri, 03 October 2014 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
na.dharma@gmail.com

this is my sample data

begin
create table prod(profile_type varchar2(15)) tablespace warehouse_big_Data;

end;

my requirement is

if i pass 'Prodparallel' then the select query should return null and Prodparallel record.

Note:- OR condition should not use.

Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625235 is a reply to message #625234] Fri, 03 October 2014 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
How are you passing the value?

[Updated on: Fri, 03 October 2014 07:42]

Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625242 is a reply to message #625235] Fri, 03 October 2014 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
na.dharma@gmail.com

Through parameter

Example

Select * from prod where profile_type = p_profile_type
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625245 is a reply to message #625242] Fri, 03 October 2014 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Simple modification of LFs query:
Select * from prod where nvl(profile_type , p_profile_type) = p_profile_type 

By the way your table create script doesn't work - we don't have your tablespace and you can't use create table inside a pl/sql block like that.
Also it should in code tags as described here: How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read?
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625279 is a reply to message #625245] Fri, 03 October 2014 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
@OP, After several requests you have not yet told us "why" you want to avoid "OR".

I tried to understand the entire thread, and I think a `CASE` would also work(not a good idea really), but this is what I could understand about the requirement so far.
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625338 is a reply to message #625279] Mon, 06 October 2014 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
na.dharma@gmail.com

OR is performance issue, that is reason I want avoid OR logical operator
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625339 is a reply to message #625338] Mon, 06 October 2014 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
It is no more of a performance issue than any of the alternatives.
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625347 is a reply to message #625338] Mon, 06 October 2014 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandeep_orafaq
It is really not clear why OR is causing Performance issue for you. Anyways can you please Elaborate more on why you Need this Kind of result pattern, what is the Business case for it.
Anyways, if you really do not want to use 'OR' then probably you can use 'case' as suggested earlier.

Select * from prod where
case when p_profile_type = 'Prod' then nvl(profile_type , p_profile_type)
else profile_type end = p_profile_type

here p_profile_type is the Parameter that you pass. But not sure if this can give you any better Performance.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 October 2014 06:33]

Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625353 is a reply to message #625347] Mon, 06 October 2014 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
OPs requirement is return all records where profile_type = parameter or profile_type is null, so that case is wrong, and fixing it leaves you with the nvl example I posted above.
I would imagine that it's slower than just doing profile_type = parameter as the OR stops it using an index on profile_type, but all the alternatives have the same problem.
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625354 is a reply to message #625353] Mon, 06 October 2014 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandeep_orafaq
I think your nvl example

will not solve your requirement, it will work same way for all passed Parameters.

Where as

Select * from prod where
case when p_profile_type = 'Prod' then nvl(profile_type , p_profile_type)
else profile_type end = p_profile_type

should work based on your Output requirement.

Somehow this Looks like a homework question.

Can you explain why you have a Performance issue using 'OR' Statement. How many rows you have in your table? whar the Indexes? etc

We can give proper solution if we know the correct Problem. not using 'OR' is not solution to the Performance Problem. I guess.
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625355 is a reply to message #625354] Mon, 06 October 2014 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
sandeep_orafaq wrote on Mon, 06 October 2014 13:59
I think your nvl example

will not solve your requirement, it will work same way for all passed Parameters.

That's what the OP said they wanted, twice:
na.dharma@gmail.com wrote on Fri, 03 October 2014 13:25
Thanks

na.dharma@gmail.com wrote on Fri, 03 October 2014 13:38

my requirement is

Note:- OR condition should not use.

The example selects OP posted are not the requriement.
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625356 is a reply to message #625354] Mon, 06 October 2014 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
How many cases would you go on writing if OP wants all the rows for any input parameter value? That is why I said that CASE is just an option, but not a good idea.
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625357 is a reply to message #625218] Mon, 06 October 2014 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
If performance is an issue, then I would have thought that an OR construct would likely be best. Using a bitmap index would give an efficient access path if the cardinality of the query is not too high, or if the CBO chooses a scan then that would be quicker if it does not have to evaluate a function.
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625366 is a reply to message #625357] Mon, 06 October 2014 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
even if you index the profile_type column it will always do a full table scan because nulls by them self are not included in indexes. Using an OR clause or an nvl will both have to do a full table scan. However if your table was something like

create table prod(profile_type varchar2(15), description varchar2(30) not null) tablespace warehouse_big_Data;

insert into prod values(null,'a');
insert into prod values('Prod','b');
insert into prod values('Prodparallel','a');
insert into prod values(null,'c');
insert into prod values('Prod','x');
create index prod_i1 on prod(profile_type,description);

The nulls will be indexed and your query will go much faster (assuming that you have more then 5 records..lol)

[Updated on: Mon, 06 October 2014 16:08]

Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625371 is a reply to message #625366] Tue, 07 October 2014 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Or, if the table look like the way OP mentioned, then we could make the leaves of the b-tree index a constant. Thus, making use of index while querying for NULL.

The first scenario won't use the index due to the OR is null condition :
SQL> SELECT * FROM PROD_NEW;

PROFILE_TYPE
---------------

Prod
Prodparallel

Prod

SQL> CREATE INDEX PROD_NEW_I1 ON PROD_NEW
  2    (PROFILE_TYPE
  3    );

Index created.

SQL> EXPLAIN PLAN FOR SELECT * FROM PROD_NEW WHERE PROFILE_TYPE = 'Prod' OR PROFILE_TYPE IS NULL;

Explained.

SQL> SELECT * FROM TABLE(DBMS_XPLAN.DISPLAY);

PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plan hash value: 2121244107

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Id  | Operation         | Name     | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)| Time     |
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT  |          |     3 |    15 |     3   (0)| 00:00:01 |
|*  1 |  TABLE ACCESS FULL| PROD_NEW |     3 |    15 |     3   (0)| 00:00:01 |

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):
---------------------------------------------------

PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - filter("PROFILE_TYPE" IS NULL OR "PROFILE_TYPE"='Prod')

13 rows selected.

Let's make the leaves constant :

SQL> DROP INDEX PROD_NEW_I1;

Index dropped.

SQL> CREATE INDEX PROD_NEW_I1 ON PROD_NEW
  2    (PROFILE_TYPE,1
  3    );

Index created.

SQL> EXPLAIN PLAN FOR SELECT * FROM PROD_NEW WHERE PROFILE_TYPE = 'Prod' OR PROFILE_TYPE IS NULL;

Explained.

PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
Plan hash value: 1272076902

| Id  | Operation        | Name        | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)| Time     |
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT |             |     3 |    15 |     1   (0)| 00:00:01 |
|*  1 |  INDEX FULL SCAN | PROD_NEW_I1 |     3 |    15 |     1   (0)| 00:00:01 |

PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT

13 rows selected.

SQL>

So, basically, the NULLs are all together, at the top/bottom of the index. Oracle can use the index forwards or backwards, so doesn't really matter. And it does a full scan of the index.
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625373 is a reply to message #625366] Tue, 07 October 2014 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
it will always do a full table scan because nulls by them self are not included in indexes.
Indexing NULLs is no problem - if you use a bitmap index. Much easier than a function based ndex.
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625384 is a reply to message #625373] Tue, 07 October 2014 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
true, but if it's an OLTP system and that table gets modified a lot then bitmaps aren't a good idea.
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625386 is a reply to message #625371] Tue, 07 October 2014 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Lalit, your solution is interesting - but I do not think it is actually going to work. Consider what happens if the index does not cover all the projected columns:
12c orclz> SELECT * FROM PROD_NEW WHERE PROFILE_TYPE = 'Prod' OR PROFILE_TYPE IS NULL;

Execution Plan
----------------------------------------------------------
Plan hash value: 1272076902

| Id  | Operation        | Name        | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)| Time     |
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT |             |    24 |   216 |     1   (0)| 00:00:01 |
|*  1 |  INDEX FULL SCAN | PROD_NEW_I1 |    24 |   216 |     1   (0)| 00:00:01 |

12c orclz> alter table prod_new add(c2 date);

Table altered.

12c orclz> SELECT * FROM PROD_NEW WHERE PROFILE_TYPE = 'Prod' OR PROFILE_TYPE IS NULL;

Execution Plan
Plan hash value: 2121244107

| Id  | Operation         | Name     | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)| Time     |
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT  |          |    24 |   432 |     3   (0)| 00:00:01 |
|*  1 |  TABLE ACCESS FULL| PROD_NEW |    24 |   432 |     3   (0)| 00:00:01 |

Of course I can hint it,
12c orclz> SELECT /*+ index(prod_new PROD_NEW_I1) */ * FROM PROD_NEW WHERE PROFILE_TYPE = 'Prod' OR PROFILE_TYPE IS NULL;

Execution Plan
Plan hash value: 1168636225

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Id  | Operation                           | Name        | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)| Time     |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT                    |             |    24 |   432 |     2   (0)| 00:00:01 |
|   1 |  TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID BATCHED| PROD_NEW    |    24 |   432 |     2   (0)| 00:00:01 |
|*  2 |   INDEX FULL SCAN                   | PROD_NEW_I1 |    24 |       |     1   (0)| 00:00:01 |

2 - filter("PROFILE_TYPE" IS NULL OR "PROFILE_TYPE"='Prod')
but that would be single block reads for every index leaf node at id 2 plus a single block read for every row at id 1, and I can't see the CBO ever choosing that. I did try hinting an index fast full scan to make id 2 a bit more efficient, but it doesn't happen
Re: How to avoid OR condition in the below scenario, how we can write in different ways [message #625389 is a reply to message #625386] Tue, 07 October 2014 04:24 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
John, yes my solution would only work with the single column as I mentioned that OP's table has single column.

In your example, after you alter the table to add new column, adding a NOT NULL column to the index will get NULL profile_type indexed. So, column c2 NOT NULL would definitely work. That's what Bill already suggested I believe.

SQL> CREATE TABLE prod
  2    (profile_type VARCHAR2(15), c2 DATE NOT NULL
  3    );

Table created.

SQL> CREATE INDEX prod_indx ON prod
  2    (profile_type,c2
  3    );

Index created.

SQL> EXPLAIN PLAN FOR SELECT * FROM PROD WHERE PROFILE_TYPE = 'Prod' OR PROFILE_TYPE IS NULL;

Explained.

PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
Plan hash value: 2945788133

| Id  | Operation        | Name      | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)| Time     |
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT |           |     1 |    18 |     1   (0)| 00:00:01 |
|*  1 |  INDEX FULL SCAN | PROD_INDX |     1 |    18 |     1   (0)| 00:00:01 |

PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT

Note
-----
   - dynamic statistics used: dynamic sampling (level=2)

17 rows selected.

SQL>

Ed : Added test case

[Updated on: Tue, 07 October 2014 04:29]

Previous Topic: Outer Join on Values
Next Topic: Session specific data using gtt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:58:16 CDT 2024