Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Form causes textbox with focus to be selected.. (Oracle Forms 11g)
Form causes textbox with focus to be selected.. [message #622802] Fri, 29 August 2014 15:51 Go to next message
nait1234
I had a tough time summarizing the issue in the title, so I'll try and describe it better here.

We are using Oracle Forms 11g here. Every 90-100 seconds or so forms in our application with do what I'll describe as "refreshing" or polling (?). The screen won't reload any data, but it often pulls focus from some other application you may be in (Forms or other wise), or flashes on the taskbar. Also, and the reason this is a problem, if you are entering text in a text box, what could happen is the screen will do it's refresh/poll/whatever it is, and cause the text in the box to be selected. This is somewhat bad because that means that if someone is typing as this behaviour happens, the text they had been entering would be selected, and as the user types, they'd lose whatever it was they were typing to that point. The users involved are quite novice, so they're not used to looking up while typing, or knowing how to undo, etc. Anyways, it is an annoyance for them that I hope I can resolve.

So I know my question is a bit vague without any files or code to work with, but I'm wondering if anyone's experienced this and has a good idea what might cause this. My first feeling was that it would be something in formsweb.cfg possibly (which is managed by another team, but I may be able to acquire this and then suggest what to change), however I'm seeing now that it doesn't happen in all forms (at least the text selecting, but I can see in the java console the network: Connecting message).

I'll keep looking through code to see what I can find, but if anyone has any ideas based on experience, I'm all ears!

Thanks for your time/suggestions.
Re: Form causes textbox with focus to be selected.. [message #622809 is a reply to message #622802] Sat, 30 August 2014 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Is there any trigger which uses TIMER and, possibly, performs SYNCHRONIZE? Try to search your PL/SQL code for those keywords. Maybe you'll find something. If not, huh, no idea at the moment.
Re: Form causes textbox with focus to be selected.. [message #622961 is a reply to message #622809] Tue, 02 September 2014 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nait1234
Oh man, thanks a lot. You are correct. I found a timer in a splash page that stays on screen while the app runs. It refreshes every ~2 mins, and as best as I can figure all it does is populate some time field on a toolbar that is neither visible or used anywhere:

select to_char(sysdate, 'HH24:MI:SS')
into :toolbar.current_time
from dual;

I removed the timer, and the screen no longer refreshes. Thanks A LOT for your help.

Now to figure out if there are any ill effects by removing this timer (I'm not sure if it's refreshing for any particular reason... maybe just to keep the form alive or something). I think I can figure that out on my own though.

You are great at what you do!

[Updated on: Tue, 02 September 2014 10:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Form causes textbox with focus to be selected.. [message #622964 is a reply to message #622961] Tue, 02 September 2014 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
cstooch

Now to figure out if there are any ill effects by removing this timer ...

Search again! Some PL/SQL code would contain (and use) :TOOLBAR.CURRENT_TIME, for example
update some_table set
  curr_time = :toolbar.current_time
  where id = :your_block.id

Though, that doesn't make much sense. If a form uses current time, it is usually derived directly from SYSDATE, not some item that refreshes once in a while. *Maybe* it is a form that originates in, say, Forms 3.0 (character mode) and was then upgraded to 4.5, 6i, ..., 11g (which you use now). Back then, Forms 3.0 ran on VT terminals that didn't display current time (as, for example, MS Windows have in lower right corner) so maybe it was handy for users to know what the time is. Who knows, especially as it is now removed from the screen.
Re: Form causes textbox with focus to be selected.. [message #622966 is a reply to message #622964] Tue, 02 September 2014 11:03 Go to previous message
nait1234
Yah I intend to go through the code and do a search for TOOLBAR.CURRENT_TIME.

I totally agree that if anything is using this field it is going to likely be unnecessary (ex. SYSDATE makes way more sense) and just something that carried over from the old days. I'll be able to figure that out though. Thanks again for your help.

This app is quite old beyond when I worked for this company, and I'm thinking they were once running Forms 3.0 or less. That makes a lot of sense, as I've found one form that actually displays the time in this way. There are different apps each with their own splash page with this trigger, and one of the apps has the time displayed.. the one that doesn't is a much newer app, but someone probably just copied the code over when they built that app.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 September 2014 11:06]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Changing background color back to default
Next Topic: How to assign forms to different users?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 20:05:33 CDT 2024