Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle (Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production)
Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #619422] Tue, 22 July 2014 06:15 Go to next message
saipradyumn

Hi All ,

Does oracle supports the Short-Circuit Evaluation ?
If so please let me know the relevant operators

Thanks
SaiPradyumn
Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #619423 is a reply to message #619422] Tue, 22 July 2014 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Did you do a preliminary search in Google before posting?

I got so many search results, one being http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/misc/short-circuit-evaluation-in-plsql.php
Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #619424 is a reply to message #619423] Tue, 22 July 2014 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saipradyumn
Hi Lalit ,

I did the basic searching before posting.
But from the below link I got the information that Oracle does not guarantee that a SQL statement
will use short-circuit evaluation (though PL/SQL is guaranteed to perform short-circuit evaluation)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8900631/does-oracle-use-short-circuit-evaluation

I just wants to confirm with the forum

Thanks
SaiPradyumn
Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #619425 is a reply to message #619424] Tue, 22 July 2014 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
saipradyumn wrote on Tue, 22 July 2014 17:06
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8900631/does-oracle-use-short-circuit-evaluation

Justin explained quite well. I suggest you make your own test case and verify. Check explain plan how Oracle interprets the predicates. If you have issues, post your question.
Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #619427 is a reply to message #619425] Tue, 22 July 2014 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Be careful! I don't know if it is a bug but short circuit and analytic functions not always play well together:

with t as (
           select 1 id,-1 val from dual union all
           select 2,2 from dual union all
           select 3,-3 from dual union all
           select 4,0 from dual
          )
select  id,
        val,
        case val
          when 0 then 0
          else
            ln(abs(val))
        end x
  from t
  order by id
/

ID        VAL          X
---------- ---------- ----------
         1         -1          0
         2          2 .693147181
         3         -3 1.09861229
         4          0          0

SQL> 

And with analytic functions:

with t as (
           select 1 id,-1 val from dual union all
           select 2,2 from dual union all
           select 3,-3 from dual union all
           select 4,0 from dual
          )
select  id,
        val,
        case val
          when 0 then 0
          else
            sum(ln(abs(val))) over(order by id)
        end x
  from t
  order by id
/
ERROR:
ORA-01428: argument '0' is out of range

no rows selected

SQL> 

SY.
Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #619768 is a reply to message #619427] Fri, 25 July 2014 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
short circuit (assuming your use is the same as mine), is an optimization feature. That means, it is not part of any mandatory syntax or process. There is no requirement that short circuiting must happen either in pl/sql or sql execution. More importantly perhapes, Oracle is free to change its database at any time and without notice to make more or less or different use of short circuiting if they believe it will create a better product.

With that in mind you should not be relying on short circuiting for any reason.

However, as a topic for discussion which is why I am thinking you have asked your questions, Oracle SQL does do short circuiting when it optimizes its queries. The order of predicate evaluation is managed by many rules and these change with every release. For example, Oracle 11gR2 introduced "costed predicate evaluation" such that Oracle will automatically evaluate predicates in whatever order it feels is best, based on a statistical costing of the predicates. This of course means the short circuiting behavior has changed in 11g from previous releases and observed behavior in the past may not be duplicated.

Similarly, there was a big push in 11g to introduce many PL/SQL optimizations that are automatic. As a result, the performance profile of PL/SQL code can change considerably just by moving from a 10g or 9i version to 11gR2. Once again, several of these optimization involve code rewrites and thus potential change to the behavior of short circuiting in PL/SQL decision trees.

In the end it is a neat feature that you can't really control too much other than to turn it off. You are pretty much at the mercy of the database for it both in PL/SQL and SQL, you can't really see it without doing lots of testing, and it will change over time.

Hope this is the kind of info you were looking for. Kevin

Kevin
Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #619822 is a reply to message #619768] Fri, 25 July 2014 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Kevin Meade wrote on Fri, 25 July 2014 01:10
short circuit (assuming your use is the same as mine), is an optimization feature. That means, it is not part of any mandatory syntax or process. There is no requirement that short circuiting must happen either in pl/sql or sql execution. More importantly perhapes, Oracle is free to change its database at any time and without notice to make more or less or different use of short circuiting if they believe it will create a better product.

Kevin,

Oracle use of short-circuit is documented and is explained, so it is "mandatory" when using features for which Oracle explicitly states it is using short-circuit. Just few examples:

1. COALESCE:

Oracle Database uses short-circuit evaluation. The database evaluates each expr value and determines whether it is NULL, rather than evaluating all of the expr values before determining whether any of them is NULL.

2. Short-Circuit Evaluation

When evaluating a logical expression, PL/SQL uses short-circuit evaluation. That is, PL/SQL stops evaluating the expression as soon as it can determine the result. Therefore, you can write expressions that might otherwise cause errors.

3. DECODE

Oracle Database uses short-circuit evaluation. The database evaluates each search value only before comparing it to expr, rather than evaluating all search values before comparing any of them with expr. Consequently, Oracle never evaluates a search if a previous search is equal to expr.

4. CASE

Oracle Database uses short-circuit evaluation. For a simple CASE expression, the database evaluates each comparison_expr value only before comparing it to expr, rather than evaluating all comparison_expr values before comparing any of them with expr. Consequently, Oracle never evaluates a comparison_expr if a previous comparison_expr is equal to expr. For a searched CASE expression, the database evaluates each condition to determine whether it is true, and never evaluates a condition if the previous condition was true.

SY.
Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #619824 is a reply to message #619424] Fri, 25 July 2014 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
saipradyumn wrote on Tue, 22 July 2014 12:36
Hi Lalit ,

I did the basic searching before posting.
But from the below link I got the information that Oracle does not guarantee that a SQL statement
will use short-circuit evaluation (though PL/SQL is guaranteed to perform short-circuit evaluation)

I just wants to confirm with the forum

Thanks
SaiPradyumn
In this example, Oracle is using short-circuiting in SQL and evaluating the predicates in the order given:
orclz>
orclz> select * from scott.dept where deptno/deptno=1 or deptno/0=1;

DEPTNO DNAME          LOC
---------- -------------- -------------
        10 ACCOUNTING     NEW YORK
        20 RESEARCH       DALLAS
        30 SALES          CHICAGO
        40 OPERATIONS     BOSTON

orclz> select * from scott.dept where deptno/0=1 or deptno/deptno=1;
select * from scott.dept where deptno/0=1 or deptno/deptno=1
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01476: divisor is equal to zero

orclz> select * from v$version;

BANNER                                                                               CON_ID
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.1.0 - 64bit Production              0
PL/SQL Release 12.1.0.1.0 - Production                                                    0
CORE    12.1.0.1.0      Production                                                                0
TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 12.1.0.1.0 - Production                                   0
NLSRTL Version 12.1.0.1.0 - Production                                                    0

orclz>

Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #619838 is a reply to message #619822] Fri, 25 July 2014 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
I guess this is one of those "differences of professional opinion".

Everything I pointed out remains true inpsite of those quotes. I applaud you for looking them up. But Oracle routinely changes how this works. I believe I explained that. Do more reading and look at the optimization on PL/SQL upgrades and the costed predicate evaluationfor 11g, as obvious examples.

Oracle does the things you note. But the statements you read are not a guarantee they will happen in any given scenario. Indeed, show me how you would prove they did or did not happen during any given sql execution.

Also, your listing here is great. I think this is a very good example of what the OP was looking for. Good job sir.

Kevin
Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #620001 is a reply to message #619838] Sun, 27 July 2014 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Kevin Meade wrote on Fri, 25 July 2014 09:24
I guess this is one of those "differences of professional opinion".

I can post hundreds of examples where short-circuit logic is applied but it will not mean a thing since you can always say there might be a case when it isn't applied. However when Oracle explicitly and if full detail tells how short-circuit works and what operations use short-circuit, our opinions doesn't matter. We get what Oracle gives us. But bright side is - we can always open SR when it doesn't work as listed. So if you have a case when short-circuit is not working as advertised please post it here so we are aware. I posted one with analytic functions. I ran into this long time ago but never reported it to Oracle. Now, after this discussion, I will open SR with Oracle.

SY.
Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #620009 is a reply to message #620001] Sun, 27 July 2014 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
I never said your opinion did not matter. I did say you gave an excellent example of what the OP wanted.

I never said short circuiting did not work or that it did not work the way Oracle said it worked. I said it did work.

What I did also say was that you can't rely on it. That means don't do things that depend on it to work and always work the same way. It has nothing to do with the semantics or syntax of SQL and so is not governed by any outside body. It has and will change with every release in ways unrelated to the documentation quoted. I gave an example of this with cost based predicate reordering that silently showed up in 11g, which surely you agree would affect short circuiting since cc relies on order of predicate evaluations.

The OP after all was using the specific word Guarantee. Let us look at it a different way for a moment. An example of cc is provided on a 10g database. Then the application using the associated SQL migrates to 11g. The same example is presented again. It too exhibits cc, but only this time the specifics of which evaluations were cc'd is different due to the cost based predicate reordering I noted. Do you feel this should be pointed out to the OP? or not?

You are an excellent contributor to this website SY. If I rubbed you the wrong way I apologize for that.

Kevin
Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #620012 is a reply to message #620009] Sun, 27 July 2014 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Kevin,

There was nothing about "rubbing" in your reply. Normal, civilized discussion Cool. Our difference of opinion boils down to "don't do things that depend on it to work and always work the same way". So what's next? Don't assume 2x2=4? I am exaggerating, of course. Anyway, why can't I rely on short-circuit in CASE when it is explicitly documented CASE uses it? And if I stop relying on it how do I deal with calculating x / y when y can be 0? Are you suggesting I shouldn't be relying on:

SELECT  CASE y
          WHEN 0 THEN 0
          ELSE x / y
        END
  FROM  TBL

And use something like:

SELECT  x / y
   FROM  TBL
   WHERE y != 0
      or y IS NULL
UNION ALL
 SELECT  0
   FROM  TBL
   WHERE y = 0

SY.
Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #620021 is a reply to message #620012] Sun, 27 July 2014 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
SELECT  CASE y
          WHEN 0 THEN 0
          ELSE x / y
        END
  FROM  TBL

That will be fine. But something more along these lines. Works good in 9i and 10g, breaks in 11g. Developers relied on predicate evaluation rules (of which short circuiting is a part) to ensure that c1 > 0 happened before funcx(c1) = 1. Then 11g went all automatic cost based predicate ordering and reversed it on them because it deciced the function based predicate was more selective than the column one (default stats and all that). This is of course a developer error because they should have allowed for 0 as an input parameter and dealt with it. But it showed up because Oracle decided to enhance the effectiveness of predicate short circuiting through and automatic statistics based predicate reordering.
select *
from tbl
where c1 > 0
and funcx(c1) = 1
/

funcx (p1 in number) return number is
begin
   return (1/p1);
end;
/

There are many forms of short circuiting. Your example of CASE shows that CASE executes logic in a specific order and quits when it has found a match. It must do that or it does not perform its function of CASE. But other forms of short circiuting or more "flexible". When short circuiting is an optimization technique rather than a definition of form, it is a mistake to rely on it.

We are both right. Just having at it from the two opposite ends. Nothing wrong with that.

Kevin

[Updated on: Sun, 27 July 2014 23:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #620080 is a reply to message #620021] Mon, 28 July 2014 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Kevin Meade wrote on Sun, 27 July 2014 23:56
Developers relied on predicate evaluation rules (of which short circuiting is a part) to ensure that c1 > 0 happened before funcx(c1) = 1.

Kevin,
Developers confused short-circuit and precedence. Short-circuit stops evaluating the expression as soon as it can determine the result. But it is condition/operator precedence which determins evaluation order. Developers didn't take precedence into account:

SQL Language Reference manual
Precedence is the order in which Oracle Database evaluates different conditions in the same expression. When evaluating an expression containing multiple conditions, Oracle evaluates conditions with higher precedence before evaluating those with lower precedence. Oracle evaluates conditions with equal precedence from left to right within an expression, with the following exceptions:

•Left to right evaluation is not guaranteed for multiple conditions connected using AND

•Left to right evaluation is not guaranteed for multiple conditions connected using OR

So all your example shows is incorrect assumptions will backfire sooner or later.

SY.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 July 2014 11:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #620084 is a reply to message #620080] Mon, 28 July 2014 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
You are just being stubborn now.

Predicate evaluation is indeed part of short circuiting for SQL execution. In the example I gave, if the order where

select *
from tbl
where c1 > 0
and funcx(c1) = 1
/

1. where c1 > 0
2. and funcx(c1) = 1

if c1 > 0 turns out to be false (or undefined) then the second condition is not executed. Both and I said this. That is short circuiting in SQL execution for predicate evaluation. The quotes you provide demonstrate why it is bad to rely on it, cause Oracle leaves the execution order vague so they can do what they want.

Your form of short circuiting CASE/DECODE/IF THEN ELSE (if that really is short circuiting to begin with beacause I don't call that short circuiting) is a static mechanism. It is execution order rigidly defined. It must be this way or the definition of the function involved does not work. But what I refer to is dynamic. When order of predicate evaluation changes between SQL executions, the potential short circuiting opportutnities change as well.

It is 3pm on a Friday. Will short circuiting for query X just started be the same as yesterday. Depends...

Are you soft parsing or hard parsing?
Is the system busy so you will be downgraded to serial execution or will you be allowed to exploit PQ this time?
Did you recollect stats last night?
Did Oracle decide to use dynamic sampling this time around?
Did cardinality feedback from the last execution change the optimizer's idea of a good plan?

And so on.

Kevin
Re: Short-Circuit Evaluation operators in oracle [message #620091 is a reply to message #620084] Mon, 28 July 2014 12:59 Go to previous message
Solomon Yakobson
Kevin,

OK. In my definition short-circuit was also guaranteeing order of evaluation. Oracle definition is more granular: "short-circuit stops evaluating the expression as soon as it can determine the result" and precedence defines order in which conditions are evaluated. That's where I was wrong. So using Oracle' definitions short-circuit and precedence are used when evaluating WHERE clause. But it doesn't change much. Developers still made wrong assumption. They forgot about the precedence and assumed Oracle will always do left-to-right evaluation of AND connected conditions. Yes Oracle will stop evaluation WHERE clause as soon as it can determine the result but it clearly states one can't assume the order in which AND or OR connected predicates are executed. And that's what I highlighted in my reply. So WHERE clause:

where c1 > 0
and funcx(c1) = 1

is evaluated as follows. There are two conditions connected using AND, therefore we can't assume which condition Oracle will evaluate first. But we are guaranteed that if condition Oracle decides to evaluate first determines the result other condition will not be evaluated - that's the extent of short-circuit we are getting in WHERE clause.

SY.
Previous Topic: Generating the Range for the given dates
Next Topic: Global Temp Table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:40:56 CDT 2024