Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Connection between application and database server (Oralce 10g,11g , Linux)
Connection between application and database server [message #618347] Fri, 11 July 2014 03:53 Go to next message
Database admin

Hi,

When user is asking DBA to check the connection from application server to database server what should we do ?

Regards,
Srini
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618351 is a reply to message #618347] Fri, 11 July 2014 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
What is the issue? Troubleshooting depends on the issue.

Open the application and check the functionality which needs to interact with DB. If it throws any error, try to connect to DB manually. See if connection is successfully established. If not, troubleshooting starts from here...
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618353 is a reply to message #618351] Fri, 11 July 2014 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Database admin

Hi Lalit,
Thanks for your suggestions.
Please find the error below and tell me where the problem is whether at database or webserver end and how to fix it?

The log files for virtual webserver Sapp02 are showing SQL Connection errors at regular intervals (see below)
This would appear to be affecting the remote job monitor which SimManager uses to control the execution of process
Currently we are seeing multiple job failures where jobs complete OK in the grid but are not shown as completed in SimManager causing the engineers to have to rerun their jobs
Is their any monitoring that can be done of the connection from Sapp02 to the database server ORCL01 ?

2014-06-19 23:50:23,905 ERROR [Services] com.msc.sdm.actionseq.RemoteJobMonitor.serviceRemoteProcesses (RemoteJobMonitor.java:334) - SDMException due to 'select ObjectID, DataClassID from V_DS_96 where ObjectID = ?: java.sql.SQLException: Closed Connectio
'
select ObjectID, DataClassID from V_DS_96 where ObjectID = ?: java.sql.SQLException: Closed Connection
	at com.msc.sdm.db.sql.SqlDatabaseConnection.getInstanceDataClassById(SqlDatabaseConnection.java:891)
	at com.msc.sdm.db.impl.DatabaseConnectionImpl.getInstanceById(DatabaseConnectionImpl.java:467)
	at com.msc.sdm.db.sql.SqlDatabaseConnection.getInstanceById(SqlDatabaseConnection.java:258)
	at com.msc.sdm.db.impl.DatabaseConnectionImpl.getInstanceById(DatabaseConnectionImpl.java:520)
	at com.msc.sdm.db.impl.ValueImpl.getReference(ValueImpl.java:497)
	at com.msc.sdm.db.impl.ObjectHandleImpl.getReference(ObjectHandleImpl.java:242)
	at com.msc.sdm.sdmobject.Process.getQueue(Process.java:411)
	at com.msc.sdm.actionseq.RemoteJobMonitor.updateRemoteProcesses(RemoteJobMonitor.java:677)
	at com.msc.sdm.actionseq.RemoteJobMonitor.serviceRemoteProcesses(RemoteJobMonitor.java:330)
	at com.msc.sdm.actionseq.RemoteJobMonitor.service(RemoteJobMonitor.java:93)
	at com.msc.sdm.actionseq.BaseMonitor.run(BaseMonitor.java:110)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Closed Connection
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:112)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:146)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:208)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.prepareStatement(PhysicalConnection.java:840)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.prepareStatement(PhysicalConnection.java:759)
	at oracle.jdbc.OracleConnectionWrapper.prepareStatement(OracleConnectionWrapper.java:92)
	at com.msc.sdm.db.sql.SqlDatabaseConnection.getInstanceDataClassById(SqlDatabaseConnection.java:864)
	... 11 more

== Original Exception was:
java.sql.SQLException: Closed Connection
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:112)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:146)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:208)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.prepareStatement(PhysicalConnection.java:840)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.prepareStatement(PhysicalConnection.java:759)
	at oracle.jdbc.OracleConnectionWrapper.prepareStatement(OracleConnectionWrapper.java:92)
	at com.msc.sdm.db.sql.SqlDatabaseConnection.getInstanceDataClassById(SqlDatabaseConnection.java:864)
	at com.msc.sdm.db.impl.DatabaseConnectionImpl.getInstanceById(DatabaseConnectionImpl.java:467)
	at com.msc.sdm.db.sql.SqlDatabaseConnection.getInstanceById(SqlDatabaseConnection.java:258)
	at com.msc.sdm.db.impl.DatabaseConnectionImpl.getInstanceById(DatabaseConnectionImpl.java:520)
	at com.msc.sdm.db.impl.ValueImpl.getReference(ValueImpl.java:497)
	at com.msc.sdm.db.impl.ObjectHandleImpl.getReference(ObjectHandleImpl.java:242)
	at com.msc.sdm.sdmobject.Process.getQueue(Process.java:411)
	at com.msc.sdm.actionseq.RemoteJobMonitor.updateRemoteProcesses(RemoteJobMonitor.java:677)
	at com.msc.sdm.actionseq.RemoteJobMonitor.serviceRemoteProcesses(RemoteJobMonitor.java:330)
	at com.msc.sdm.actionseq.RemoteJobMonitor.service(RemoteJobMonitor.java:93)
	at com.msc.sdm.actionseq.BaseMonitor.run(BaseMonitor.java:110)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

[Updated on: Fri, 11 July 2014 04:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618354 is a reply to message #618353] Fri, 11 July 2014 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
I don't know what simmanager does and how it interacts with DB.

As I said, if you could connect to databse manually, then you need to troubleshoot to find what prevents the application from connecting to DB. So did you try connecting to DB manually? Perhaps, connection through jdbc is failing and that's the cause.
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618357 is a reply to message #618354] Fri, 11 July 2014 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Database admin

Lalit,
Quote:
So did you try connecting to DB manually?

I tried connecting to database and it was successful.I do not find any error while connecting to database.
Quote:
Perhaps, connection through jdbc is failing and that's the cause.

Does it mean the problem is at application end ?

Regards,
Srini
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618359 is a reply to message #618357] Fri, 11 July 2014 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Database admin wrote on Fri, 11 July 2014 15:13
Quote:
So did you try connecting to DB manually?

I tried connecting to database and it was successful.I do not find any error while connecting to database.

That proves Oracle is just the victim and not the culprit.

Quote:
Does it mean the problem is at application end ?

Don't you think so? Check how does simmanager connects to DB. If everything was fine earlier, and if this is occuring recently then check what has been changed in the connection string. Only you would know about it.
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618362 is a reply to message #618359] Fri, 11 July 2014 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Database admin

I think DBA has nothing to worry about this java error as i do not see any problem with database.
Its application team trying to redirect the issue to database.
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618364 is a reply to message #618362] Fri, 11 July 2014 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
java.sql.SQLException: Closed Connectio

Check there are no idle timeouts on your setup.

Probably not, but best to rule it out.
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618366 is a reply to message #618362] Fri, 11 July 2014 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Database admin wrote on Fri, 11 July 2014 15:33
I think DBA has nothing to worry about this java error as i do not see any problem with database.

You still think?

Quote:
Its application team trying to redirect the issue to database.

Then redirect application team to this thread Razz
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618368 is a reply to message #618366] Fri, 11 July 2014 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua
Or, insist on getting an ORA- error from application team.

"Closed connection" does not necessarily means error is in the database.

Let application team provide you a database error.

Alternatively, you can trace their session but it may not get you much.
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618371 is a reply to message #618368] Fri, 11 July 2014 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Database admin

Quote:
Then redirect application team to this thread Smile

ha ha

Roachcoach,
Quote:
Check there are no idle timeouts on your setup.

Can you tell me what Setup you mean ?

Thanks Tarun for your inputs.

Regards,
Srini

[Updated on: Fri, 11 July 2014 06:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618393 is a reply to message #618371] Fri, 11 July 2014 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
User profiles is one example. Firewalls might be another.
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618395 is a reply to message #618393] Fri, 11 July 2014 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
does application utilize Connection Pooling?
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618398 is a reply to message #618395] Fri, 11 July 2014 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Database admin

Hi Roachcoach,
Quote:

I checked user profiles and there is no idle time outs.
How to verify it is a firewall issue ?

Hi Blackswan
Quote:

How to check that ?
Regards,
Srini
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618401 is a reply to message #618398] Fri, 11 July 2014 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
iirc sqlnet can have it set too.

For firewalls, you'll need to ask around. It's probably not a database issue, but it might not be an application issue either. Speak to networks - I imagine you are closer to the infrastructure boys than the developers and it's nice to be nice Smile
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618402 is a reply to message #618398] Fri, 11 July 2014 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Database admin wrote on Fri, 11 July 2014 06:55
Hi Roachcoach,
Quote:

I checked user profiles and there is no idle time outs.
How to verify it is a firewall issue ?

Hi Blackswan
Quote:

How to check that ?
Regards,
Srini

WRT Firewall - talk to Network/System administrator
WRT Connection Pooling - talk to Lead Application Programmer
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618408 is a reply to message #618402] Fri, 11 July 2014 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Database admin

Blackswan & others who helped me in this thread i would like to thank you for your inputs and support in analysing the issue and especially for your quick response.
Re: Connection between application and database server [message #618411 is a reply to message #618408] Fri, 11 July 2014 09:33 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
Oracle has no native capability to do any packet exchange.
Oracle depends upon OS for all packet exchange.
When problem exists at the network level, Oracle is the victim; not the culprit.
Previous Topic: Transportable tablespace
Next Topic: ORA-1092 : opiodr aborting process
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:30:40 CDT 2024