Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Reqular expression (Oracle 11.2.0.3)
Reqular expression [message #616384] Mon, 16 June 2014 08:15 Go to next message
pointers
Hi,

I was trying some sort of regular expression stuff and come across the below.

select  REGEXP_SUBSTR('22.2222', '([.][[:digit:]]{1,2})?') hello from dual

The above code returns null

I was intend to retrieve substring from the string where substring should match "dot followed by one or two digits and this set may occure once or zero times" -- so I have included ()?
I am sure we can achive this by other ways but I am trying to understand what is wrong with the query why '(' and ')' makes difference.

where as the below works
select  REGEXP_SUBSTR('22.2222', '[.][[:digit:]]{1,2}?') hello from dual

returns .2

Regards,
Pointers
Re: Reqular expression [message #616385 is a reply to message #616384] Mon, 16 June 2014 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
and this set may occure once or zero times"

If it happens 0 times then what should be the result?
I don't understand what you are trying to get.
Post several examples with and without the pattern you're searching.

Re: Reqular expression [message #616388 is a reply to message #616385] Mon, 16 June 2014 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pointers
Hi Micheal,

As usual thank you for your time.

Actually, I dont have any specific task to achive, I was just trying to understand to see what is wrong with the expression to get
"dot followed by one or two digits and this set may occure once or zero times if it mathches it should return dot followed by one or two digits if it does not then null"

which is what I expected from the below query, to be precise, i am going in reverse engineering.
select  REGEXP_SUBSTR('22.2222', '([.][[:digit:]]{1,2})?') hello from dual

But I think your below question makes me to think in the right direction.
Quote:
If it happens 0 times then what should be the result?

But the below retuns some value though I have not mentioned what to return if the condition is not matched
select  REGEXP_SUBSTR('12.3456', '[.]?[[:digit:]]{1,2}?') hello from dual though I 

So I think it is something to do with '()' I may be thinking completly wrong but pls bare with me help me to understand.

Regards,
Pointers

p.s I have modified the first code

[Updated on: Mon, 16 June 2014 08:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Reqular expression [message #616418 is a reply to message #616388] Mon, 16 June 2014 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
pointers wrote on Mon, 16 June 2014 09:38
I was just trying to understand to see what is wrong with the expression

Then meditate over:

SQL> select  REGEXP_SUBSTR('22.2222', '([.][[:digit:]]{1,2})?') hello from dual
  2  /

H
-

SQL> select  REGEXP_SUBSTR('22.2222', '([.][[:digit:]]{1,2})?',1,2) hello from dual
  2  /

H
-

SQL> select  REGEXP_SUBSTR('22.2222', '([.][[:digit:]]{1,2})?',1,3) hello from dual
  2  /

HEL
---

SQL> 

Hope it will give you a clue to your question.

SY.
Re: Reqular expression [message #616441 is a reply to message #616418] Tue, 17 June 2014 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pointers
Thank you very much Solomon, I've got what you are trying to say.

Regards,
Pointers
Re: Reqular expression [message #616491 is a reply to message #616441] Tue, 17 June 2014 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pointers
Hi,

I am doing reverse engineering, I am only analyzing how the regexp_substr works internally (kind of its algorithm)--not any specific task.

Could you help me to understand why
select regexp_substr('www.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll','[^.]*',1,2) hello from dual 
does not return anything

where as
select regexp_substr('www.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll','[^.]*',1,1) hello from dual 
returns 'www'

I assume regexp_substr(---,1,1) search for anycharacter from the first position and for the first occurance other than '.' hence it returns 'www' so, I was guessing regexp_substr(----,1,2) returns 'abcd', is my undestanding incorrect.

Please bare with me if you find it silly and help me to understand.

Regards,
Pointers
Re: Reqular expression [message #616492 is a reply to message #616491] Tue, 17 June 2014 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
You keep stepping on same rakes. Again, meditate over:

SQL> select regexp_substr('www.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll','[^.]*',1,1) hello from dual;

HEL
---

SQL> select regexp_substr('www.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll','[^.]*',1,2) hello from dual;

H
-

SQL> select regexp_substr('www.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll','[^.]*',1,3) hello from dual;

HELL
----
abcd

SQL> 

SY.
icon14.gif  Re: Reqular expression [message #616493 is a reply to message #616492] Tue, 17 June 2014 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pointers
@SY: I think I am missing some point here, if you dont mind, could you please explain how
select regexp_substr('www.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll','[^.]*',1,2) hello from dual
is interpreted by oracle. why it would return null for second occurance --may be theory behind this in simpler terms.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Pointers
Re: Reqular expression [message #616497 is a reply to message #616493] Tue, 17 June 2014 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pointers
I have found the reason my self for the above issue. Below is what I found for the continuation of reading.

I have analyzed and understood it using REGEXP_REPLACE to find what is first and second occurance in REGEXP_SUBSTR for '*' and REGEXP_SUBSTR for '+'
select regexp_replace('www.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll','[^.]*','z',1,1) hello from dual;
output:z.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll

select regexp_replace('www.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll','[^.]*','z',1,2) hello from dual;
output:wwwz.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll

I could find that, because '*' matches to no character (zero occurance) also, regexp_substr(---,1,2) is matching to 'nocharacter' after 'www' and hence it returns null (i just say nocharacter).
So, '*' is making things bit hard to understand.
So I have used '+' instead of '*'
select regexp_substr('www.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll','[^.]+',1,1) hello from dual 
select regexp_substr('www.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll','[^.]+',1,2) hello from dual
after which I am clear now what went wrong.

Regards,
Pointers
Re: Reqular expression [message #616499 is a reply to message #616493] Tue, 17 June 2014 10:44 Go to previous message
Solomon Yakobson
pointers wrote on Tue, 17 June 2014 10:30
why it would return null for second occurance

Because * means ZERO or more occurrences. It is much simpler to understand what's going on if you compare:

SQL> select regexp_replace('www.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll','([^.]*)','[\1]') from dual
  2  /

REGEXP_REPLACE('WWW.ABCD.NET.ABCD.NNNN.LLLL','([^.]
---------------------------------------------------
[www][].[abcd][].[net][].[abcd][].[nnnn][].[llll][]

SQL> select regexp_replace('www.abcd.net.abcd.nnnn.llll','([^.]+)','[\1]') from dual
  2  /

REGEXP_REPLACE('WWW.ABCD.NET.ABCD.NNNN.
---------------------------------------
[www].[abcd].[net].[abcd].[nnnn].[llll]

SQL> 

SY.
Previous Topic: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error in xmltype.getClobVal
Next Topic: Looping or SQL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:20:21 CDT 2024