Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » how to use substr while assigning the column & using length function
how to use substr while assigning the column & using length function [message #615622] Fri, 06 June 2014 03:35 Go to next message
mist598
Hi all,

1) order_number vachar2(5);
2)I assigned the xxc_number column from the another tables column into the order_number column like order_number :=xxc_number ;

But the abc column had 'defghij'(7 letters)

So we get ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small error right?

I don't want to increase the column data type size instead i need to use substr , how can i do this? Please explain.

I know to do this using using substr(xxc_number ,1,5), but if the xxc_number has defghij(size is 7) means i need to show fully column name , but the substr is defgh right?

**How could i know the xxc_number column has that much sizes ...

For this we use length function, i don't how to do this please help me.

Thanks

Re: how to use substr while assigning the column & using length function [message #615623 is a reply to message #615622] Fri, 06 June 2014 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
**How could i know the xxc_number column has that much sizes ...

You know it because you code it.
It is not something that changes it is static.

1) you should declare your variable as mytable.xxc_number%TYPE.
2) If you can't do this (why?), you can dynamically query user_tab_columns to get the column size and use it in SUBSTR.

Re: how to use substr while assigning the column & using length function [message #615625 is a reply to message #615622] Fri, 06 June 2014 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
You don't know how to use the length function?
Have you looked it up in the documentation? Not that you should need to, it's a really basic function.
I'm not sure what you mean by this:
Quote:

but if the xxc_number has defghij(size is 7) means i need to show fully column name

Why aren't you just always using substr, if you always need 5 chars that's the way to do it.
Re: how to use substr while assigning the column & using length function [message #615627 is a reply to message #615622] Fri, 06 June 2014 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
What is the question here? So many sentences seems confusing.

Do you want order_number to take all the values of xxc_number irrespective of the size? If yes then just declare it as :
order_number table_name.xxc_number%TYPE

If you are not willing to the above, then you need to handle all the cases where length of xxc_number exceeds 5. The only option is to use SUBSTR. Something like :
IF LENGTH(xxc_number) <=5
THEN 
   order_number := xxc_number;
ELSE
   <do something>
END IF;
Re: how to use substr while assigning the column & using length function [message #615628 is a reply to message #615627] Fri, 06 June 2014 04:04 Go to previous message
mist598
Thanks Michel ,cookiemonster,lalit... Smile
Previous Topic: column header needs to add for each record
Next Topic: Cannot access table in PL/SQL even with direct grant
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:41:41 CDT 2024