Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » rman cold backups no catalog (11g solaris)
rman cold backups no catalog [message #614554] Fri, 23 May 2014 05:25 Go to next message
smac
Messages: 11
Registered: August 2013
Junior Member
My scenarios is I am taking cold rman backups with archivelogs daily.
I run backup mon/tue/wed and then have a failure I restore database to latest security
rman target /
restore database
recover database until cancel
<CANCEL> ( point I require )
alter database open resetlogs;

I then find we need to go back further to say Mondays cold/archivelog security...at time the cold backup was taken.

what is best way to achieve this ?

rman auxiliary sys/password
duplicate database to <dbname> backup location = '.......' NOREDO;

when I have used duplicate database I have appropriate params set in init.ora file and control files in backup location.

I am concerned at how I get back to previous days security's which then also gives me options to restore further back or if required go to any days security I have on disk.

Is it that once I have auctioned a reset logs the only way I can restore database to OLD backups is to use the duplicate option.

thanks
Re: rman cold backups no catalog [message #614569 is a reply to message #614554] Fri, 23 May 2014 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
Messages: 306
Registered: September 2013
Senior Member
Look at the SET UNTIL option of rman recovery.
Re: rman cold backups no catalog [message #614596 is a reply to message #614554] Fri, 23 May 2014 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Messages: 59422
Registered: March 2007
Location: Nanterre, France, http://...
Senior Member
Account Moderator

Quote:
I run backup mon/tue/wed and then have a failure I restore database to latest security

Quote:
I am concerned at how I get back to previous days security's which then also gives me options to restore further back or if required go to any days security I have on disk.


What does this mean?
What is "security" here?


Other question: why do you take cold and not hot backup?

Re: rman cold backups no catalog [message #614793 is a reply to message #614596] Tue, 27 May 2014 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smac
Messages: 11
Registered: August 2013
Junior Member
BY security Michel I mean backup. We take cold backups as a clean backup as we can afford currently to take the downtime for the backups.
I think from further testing I have worked this out, if you can confirm my theory that would be great.
I can restore back to any point in time by setting the SCN number and calling a restore database,recover database and as its a cold backup no further action is required, I just open resetlogs from this point.
If I then need to go further back to a previous security I need to first restore the relevant control file then mount database and follow the same procedure of SCN and restore/recover database.
I can also use TIME or SEQUENCE to recover database to the correct point in time.
thanks
Re: rman cold backups no catalog [message #614800 is a reply to message #614793] Tue, 27 May 2014 07:52 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Messages: 59422
Registered: March 2007
Location: Nanterre, France, http://...
Senior Member
Account Moderator

Quote:
I can restore back to any point in time by setting the SCN number and calling a restore database,recover database and as its a cold backup no further action is required, I just open resetlogs from this point.


You can do the same thing with a hot backup and without downtime and decrease in performances: each time you stop the instance you loose what is in the difference caches (buffer, SQL, dictionary...) which has a cost to refill them.

Quote:
If I then need to go further back to a previous security I need to first restore the relevant control file


No, you don't need to restore the control file, you can do the same way than in the previous case.

Quote:
I can also use TIME or SEQUENCE to recover database to the correct point in time.


UNTIL TIME, UNTIL SEQUENCE or UNTIL SCN, yes.

Previous Topic: RMAN Backup of archivelog failed
Next Topic: after restore when trying to recover database.. it gives error
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Oct 23 13:35:57 CDT 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10922 seconds