Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Memory use by Hash join in Oracle 11g
Memory use by Hash join in Oracle 11g [message #614080] Thu, 15 May 2014 22:56 Go to next message
rekha.singhal@tcs.com
Dear All,

I ran a TPC-H query in isolation (no other concurrent query ) which is a Hash join on Order and Customer table on oracle11g on linux with _smm_max_size=102M. I observed that when the same query is run on the same system with increased size of Order and Customer table, the memory used by Hash join ("USED-MEM") decreases. Please find the details in the attached file which has execution plans of the query on 1GB, 4 GB and 128GB database generated using dbgen utility in open source. The "USED_MEM" for hash join changes from 107M, 80M and 52 M for 1GB, 4 GB and 128 GB respectively. I fail to understand why oralce does not use maximum memory available when the query is running in isolation- no other session/query is running in parallel.

Kindly help and suggest pointers to look for.

Thanks and Regards,

Rekha Singhal
Re: Memory use by Hash join in Oracle 11g [message #614090 is a reply to message #614080] Fri, 16 May 2014 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Do NOT use hidden parameter.
If you don't want to use AUTOMATIC workarea size policy then set it to manual and set your area sizes.

Re: Memory use by Hash join in Oracle 11g [message #614091 is a reply to message #614090] Fri, 16 May 2014 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
@MC, I agree that usually using manual management is a better solution.
However, perhaps a case can be made for using _underscore parameters when tuning PGA, because it may be that Oracle got it wrong. Evidence for this is that algorithm for calculating the default values does appear to have changed in 12.1. If you do this, I think that _smm_max_size is not the only one to change. I have set _pga_max_size=2147483647 with good results for sorts, index builds, and hash joins.

@RS, I am not sure that you are looking in the correct place. What does V$SQL_WORKAREA tell you?
Re: Memory use by Hash join in Oracle 11g [message #614093 is a reply to message #614091] Fri, 16 May 2014 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

I don't see any reason to use these parameters when you have specific needs, you can always switch to manual settings at session level for these cases.

It may be different if ALL your sessions (but few) need a different settings than Oracle internal default one.

Re: Memory use by Hash join in Oracle 11g [message #614103 is a reply to message #614080] Fri, 16 May 2014 07:19 Go to previous message
Roachcoach
rekha.singhal@tcs.com wrote on Fri, 16 May 2014 04:56
I fail to understand why oralce does not use maximum memory available when the query is running in isolation- no other session/query is running in parallel.

Highly like for the following reasons (amongst others)

PGA is only ever a target - I've seen DBs blow that target with catastrophic results.
PGA is also shared - just because you're the only query right then, what happens in 10 minutes if someone does a sort? Does it error? Spill to temp? Expand over target?

Bascially it's a shared resource and even if you know it isnt, the DB doesnt and shouldnt risk it.
Previous Topic: Finding the last trx (by date) per customer, per transaction type
Next Topic: multiple select with and
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:41:43 CDT 2024