Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » New to sql and need some help please (merged) (SQL Plus)
New to sql and need some help please (merged) [message #612712] Wed, 23 April 2014 12:05 Go to next message
om357
I want to write a command to list the names and the id's for all people who have bought a specific thing (item1) but haven't bought (item2)

And another command to list the name, year and to list the items if those items that they bought are more than 4 per year

Thanks
Stef
Re: New to sql and need some help please [message #612714 is a reply to message #612712] Wed, 23 April 2014 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Use SELECT statement.

Re: New to sql and need some help please [message #612715 is a reply to message #612712] Wed, 23 April 2014 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What code did you manage to write so far?
Re: New to sql and need some help please [message #612716 is a reply to message #612714] Wed, 23 April 2014 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Welcome to this forum.

Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/ and please read http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/174502/102589/

since we don't know your table names or column names we can't write any SQL statements.
Re: New to sql and need some help please [message #612718 is a reply to message #612712] Wed, 23 April 2014 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
om357 wrote on Wed, 23 April 2014 22:35
I want to write a command to list the names and the id's for all people who have bought a specific thing (item1) but haven't bought (item2)

With such minimal information provided by you, nobody could waste their time but might give you a skeleton of the SQL query. Try to implement this and get back with your feedback :-

1. Requirement 1

select name, id
from table_name
where people_bought_item = item_1
and people_bought_item <> item_2
/

Quote:

And another command to list the name, year and to list the items if those items that they bought are more than 4 per year

2. Requirement 2

select * from(
select name, year, items, count(bought_date) cnt
from table_name
where bought_date > sysdate - > (your expresiion for 4 years
group by name, year, items)
)
where cnt > 4
/

Execute the queries in SQL*PLUS .

NOTE : It's just a hint provided to you, so please try yourself, if required modify the queries and come back with what you try.
Re: New to sql and need some help please [message #612719 is a reply to message #612718] Wed, 23 April 2014 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Silly answer.
You know nothing about the table(s) but you can give some queries, even skeleton.
Silly answer.

Example:
Quote:
people_bought_item = item_1
and people_bought_item <> item_2

If "people_bought_item = item_1" then, of course, "people_bought_item <> item_2" as soon as item_1 <> item_2.

Silly answer.

Re: New to sql and need some help please [message #612720 is a reply to message #612719] Wed, 23 April 2014 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Michel Cadot wrote on Wed, 23 April 2014 23:25

Silly answer.

Yes Michel, silly for masters and experts, but not for beginners who are actually new to SQL. Look at OP's topic, he says he is New to sql and need some help please. Without any help or assistance to him how would he ever come back to this forum. I believe OP will try and come back, even if he doesn't come back with feedback(not necessarily), he would at least get a direction to move ahead with his task. May be it seems silly in this forum, but not in all other forums. People do help in their own way.

Not everything is silly literally. What seems silly to you might be an herculean task for others. And that's the reason we get to see such questions in OraFAQ. Even I can post comments to OP like "come with your tries" or "welcome to forum, look at this link". Oh, common, we all were beginners at some point of time.

If you find a silly mistake in my query, then please correct it and help OP. That's what we are all here for. I tried to help him with whatever I could, that too as a hint/help without proper information. I made sure that I abide by all the forum rules. Still if you think all this is useless, then I don't know what else to say.
Re: New to sql and need some help please [message #612721 is a reply to message #612720] Wed, 23 April 2014 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
If you find a silly mistake in my query, then please correct it

I already did it just read the example.
And posting silly SQL like this is not helping it is misleading better say nothing.
You know nothing about the table(s) and model so you cannot even write the single thing after SELECT.
We need more information to give the FIRST bit of help.
But I don't expect you understand this I already explained to you several times.

Need help with coding [message #612724 is a reply to message #612712] Wed, 23 April 2014 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djgstef
Hello i'm having some trouble with this coding if you can please help me . Thanks

1. i have to write a command file to list the gard_name and gard_code# of the gardener table which have grown Maris Piper potatoes but have never grown king edwards potatoes. and to order the output in ascending of gard_name.

I wrote this so far

SELECT Gardener.gard_name, Gardener.gard_code# FROM Gardener, Plot_usage
WHERE plot_usage.veg_id
(SELECT Vegetable.veg_id FROM vegetable
WHERE veg_id = 'MARIS PIPER' AND NOT 'KING EDWARD')
ORDER BY gard_name ASC;

2. write a command file to list the veg_id, year and yearly yield of Plot Usage table of each vegetable that has been grown at any time. order your output by veg_id.

I wrote this so far

SELECT plot_usage.veg_id,plot_usage.year, plot_usage.SUM(yield) FROM (((plot_usage
INNER JOIN vegetable
ON plot_usage.veg_id=vegetable.veg_id_)
INNER JOIN period
ON plot_usage.year=period.year)
INNER JOIN yearly
ON plot_usage.sum(yield) = yearly.sum(yield))
GROUP BY veg_id,year

3. write a command file to list the plot#,year and all the generic vegetable descriptions(gnrc_veg_desc) for the plots where the rule that "no more than 4 generic vegetable descriptions can be grown on any plot in any one year" has, in fact been broken. The output should be ordered in ascending sequence of gnrc_veg_desc within year within plot#

I wrote this so far

SELECT plot_usage.plot#, plot_usage.year, plot_usage.veg_id, vegetable.gnrc_veg_desc
FROM plot_usage, vegetable
WHERE plot_usage.veg_id = vegtable.veg_id > = ((select count >4)
FROM gnrc_veg_desc)
ORDER BY gnrc_veg_desc, year, plot ASC;
Re: Need help with coding [message #612725 is a reply to message #612724] Wed, 23 April 2014 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
Your first query won't work. Read up on the EXISTS and NOT EXISTS clauses for the where clause in the select. As for the other queries, please show us the structures of the vegetable and plot_usage.
Re: Need help with coding [message #612726 is a reply to message #612724] Wed, 23 April 2014 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum. Please read our OraFAQ Forum Guide and please read How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read

None of your queries will run, they all have syntax errors. What were they? No-one cn help unless you provide this information.
Also, you need to provide the CREATE TABLE statements for your problem, and some INSERT statements to provide a bit of data to work with.

People here are pretty good at providing hints to help with homework questions, if you provide suitable information.
Re: New to sql and need some help please [message #612727 is a reply to message #612721] Wed, 23 April 2014 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
I suspect you have two tables, one that contains the customers and the other one with the sales. Give us the structures and he can give more specific hints.
Re: Need help with coding [message #612728 is a reply to message #612725] Wed, 23 April 2014 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djgstef
thanks here is the doc. with all the tables . we don't need to create the tables as in coding just the commands. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nzrux2uw7g96kp/Model%20Solution%20ERD.docx

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2014 17:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need help with coding [message #612729 is a reply to message #612728] Wed, 23 April 2014 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
It appears that you decided to not read the previously provided Posting Guidelines or decided to completely ignore them.
So I will do the same for this thread.
Re: Need help with coding [message #612731 is a reply to message #612729] Thu, 24 April 2014 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I, for example, don't have access to online storage services (because of company policy) and can't even see what you put into that Word document. Moreover, not everyone is willing to download and open files that can be harmful for their computers. Therefore, what you really need to do (if you expect any kind of useful hints) is to follow what people keep saying: take a few minutes and create a test case. It looks like this:
CREATE TABLE phone_book
(tel_number varchar2(20),
 p_name     varchar2(30)
);

INSERT INTO phone_book (tel_number, p_name) values ('1-234-5678', 'Little');
INSERT INTO phone_book (tel_number, p_name) values ('2-987-6543', 'Foot');
Now, based on sample data (which is "input"), explain rules that convert that input into desired "output".

[Updated on: Thu, 24 April 2014 00:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need help with coding [message #612736 is a reply to message #612731] Thu, 24 April 2014 00:58 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Given OPs share the same IP and the questions are closed, I merged the 2 topics.

Previous Topic: Unable to display contents of CHARARR;
Next Topic: ORA-28002 error while connecting DB LINK
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 20:15:36 CDT 2024