Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » sequel help to reference a different database on the same server
sequel help to reference a different database on the same server [message #603879] Fri, 20 December 2013 02:55 Go to next message
rkaria
Hi

I am trying to pull data through an ODBC connection and I need help in writing the correct sequel.

My situation is there are 2 oracle databases on the server one called LIVE and called TEST. Im connected to the live database and running a query but I want one of the functions that Im using in the query to run against the test databse.

Hope that makes more sense.

Can anyone advise the sequel to do this I have tried the below, but I just get 'error invalid identifier'.

1.testdb.Rfunctioname (which is the database and the function name.)
2.[testdb].Rfunctioname
3.datasource.testdb.Rfunctionname (which is the datasource.database.function)
4.datasource.Rfunctioname(which is the datasource and function name)
5.testdb.dbo.Rfunctioname

THanks
R

Re: sequel help to reference a different database on the same server [message #603883 is a reply to message #603879] Fri, 20 December 2013 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Could you, instead of using ODBC, create a database link between these two databases?
Re: sequel help to reference a different database on the same server [message #603885 is a reply to message #603883] Fri, 20 December 2013 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rkaria
Im not sure how to do that?

Re: sequel help to reference a different database on the same server [message #603886 is a reply to message #603885] Fri, 20 December 2013 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
CREATE DATABASE LINK

Even if you use ODBC, what are the steps you are following? For two databases on two servers you would need two ODBC connections. Or, instead of two connections, you could use the connect property and pass the different connection atrributes as paramters.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 March 2014 13:30] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: sequel help to reference a different database on the same server [message #603891 is a reply to message #603886] Fri, 20 December 2013 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rkaria
Im creating the query within SSRS(reporting Services)for a report, but the connection is against ODBC.

I have 2 datasources within the report, one for live database and one for test database. Both database are on the same server.

The report looks at live database, but I want one of the functions in the query to look at the test database, I thought it would be as simple as referencing the datasource.database.NameofFunction since the test datasource is set up.

Im just not sure of the syntax in oracle
Re: sequel help to reference a different database on the same server [message #603949 is a reply to message #603891] Fri, 20 December 2013 10:57 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Access to database through ODBC does not depend on the rdbms. If you know how to do it for MS/Access (for instance) you know how to do it for Oracle.

If the function call is INSIDE a query (SELECT statement) then the solution is inside the database (and had nothing to do with ODBC or the way you access the database), and the solution is there, as already pointed, a database link.

Previous Topic: count according to headlines
Next Topic: Help required to understand sys refcursor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 01:41:54 CDT 2024