Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Can I use global variable in dynamic sql and outside of sql statment (Oracle 11g)
Can I use global variable in dynamic sql and outside of sql statment [message #603123] Wed, 11 December 2013 09:11 Go to next message
na.dharma@gmail.com

Can I use public global variable in Dynamic SQL inside of procedure and outside of SQL statement.

For example

Select * from test where scd_end_date= etl_ctl. gc_end_of_time
Re: Can I use global variable in dynamic sql and outside of sql statment [message #603125 is a reply to message #603123] Wed, 11 December 2013 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
do you realize & understand that SQL & PL/SQL are entirely different & independent languages?
what is valid in one language is not necessarily valid in the other language.
You can NOT arbitrarily mix & match features between them.

so the short answer is, "NO!"
Re: Can I use global variable in dynamic sql and outside of sql statment [message #603132 is a reply to message #603123] Wed, 11 December 2013 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
Can I use public global variable in Dynamic SQL inside of procedure

Yes, use a global context.

Quote:
and outside of SQL statement

How a SQL-PL/SQL variable can be accessed outside them.
Can you access a C variable in a Java program outside it?

Quote:
For example

No, a package variable is private (assuming etl_ctl.gc_end_of_time is a package variable).

In the end, explain your need and issue instead of asking such questions. They are just waste of time for everyone.
Re: Can I use global variable in dynamic sql and outside of sql statment [message #603137 is a reply to message #603132] Wed, 11 December 2013 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Did you mean to say local context? public global variable scope is session.

SY.
Re: Can I use global variable in dynamic sql and outside of sql statment [message #603139 is a reply to message #603137] Wed, 11 December 2013 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Reading your question, it seems I misunderstood the issue.
I thought OP wanted a global variable, global to everyone (by "private" I meant private to a session).

Re: Can I use global variable in dynamic sql and outside of sql statment [message #603141 is a reply to message #603123] Wed, 11 December 2013 11:58 Go to previous message
Solomon Yakobson
Actually, I can't understand your statement. PUBLIC/PRIVATE has nothing to do with scope. Don't confuse scope with visibility. Global vs local variable does define scope. Only global variables have session as their scope. Local variable scope is block (and all inner blocks) it is declared in. Local variable is gone as soon as execution of the block it is declared in completes.

SY.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 December 2013 14:08]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: dbms_lob.append raising error.
Next Topic: UPDATE table insert characters into a VARCHAR2 row
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:13:30 CDT 2024