Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Not getting head or tails (Oracle R12;PL/SQL;SQL Developer)
Not getting head or tails [message #602984] Tue, 10 December 2013 11:49 Go to next message
megamind
Hey everyone,
I am new to this forum and perhaps new to programming world.
I work in an organisatin where we use Oracle R12.
I need to extract certain data by queries.
The problem is my department is "Cash Management" and the info I want was never ever wanted or perhaps someone never came across the idea of getting that info from Oracle using Pl/SQL.
The IT personnel are long gone after setting up the Oracle.
The question is how do I create my own queries?
Do I need to learn SQL or PL/SQL for that purpose?
I so, how do I practice before messing with my organizational dastabase(oracle)?
How do I question(query) my oracle database when I dont know the source code used when oracle was configured?
The thing is I want some of my data fetching routines done quickly but got no clue where to go or whom to approach.?
Re: Not getting head or tails [message #602992 is a reply to message #602984] Tue, 10 December 2013 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Read The Fine Manuals

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/server.121/e17633/toc.htm
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/server.121/e17209/toc.htm

or get the book SQL For Dummies
Re: Not getting head or tails [message #602999 is a reply to message #602984] Tue, 10 December 2013 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
martijn
Yup, the language you use to interact with a database is sql.
retrieving (selecting). inserting, deleting and updating is all done by sql.

So I suppose the first thing you should do is learn some sql. You don;t have to be a "master-guru" to retrieve the basics.
Maybe the first ideas can be learned online. I gues

However, if you are in charge of the database now (I sure hope not for your own sake), you also have to learn the basics of database (Oracle) administration. This I would not pursue online.

Anyway...to directly answer some of your questions:
Quote:
The question is how do I create my own queries?

You really should learn sql. Then you have the tool for creating queries in your head.
Quote:
Do I need to learn SQL or PL/SQL for that purpose?

Yes.
Quote:
I so, how do I practice before messing with my organizational dastabase(oracle)?

You can install oracle on a test system (at home) and create a database. Then you can play around with this database.
(If the goal is learning SQL, you might be faster by installing mysql, and learn the basic sql from there.)
Quote:
How do I question(query) my oracle database when I dont know the source code used when oracle was configured?

The data and possible code is separated whitin a Oracle database. You have to be somewhat familiar with the datamodel to be more efficient with retrieving data.
Quote:
The thing is I want some of my data fetching routines done quickly but got no clue where to go or whom to approach.?

First things first.
If you don't know how to write SQL you can not expect from yourself to tune or improve SQL.
Re: Not getting head or tails [message #603000 is a reply to message #602999] Tue, 10 December 2013 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

In addition, you can buy SQL Success - Database Programming Proficiency and read this topic.

Re: Not getting head or tails [message #603371 is a reply to message #603000] Sat, 14 December 2013 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
megamind
thanks alot folks for your help but how do I know the basic structure of the OF used in my organisation.You can only query a database when you know how its built,I mean table and form structure.How do I get aruound that problem because almost every organisation has OF customized to its particulars.The question is how to understand that tailored structure of OF.
Much obliged,
Re: Not getting head or tails [message #603372 is a reply to message #603371] Sat, 14 December 2013 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
what is "OF"?
querying Oracle Financials [message #603377 is a reply to message #603371] Sat, 14 December 2013 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
megamind wrote on Sat, 14 December 2013 15:10
thanks alot folks for your help but how do I know the basic structure of the OF used in my organisation.You can only query a database when you know how its built,I mean table and form structure.How do I get aruound that problem because almost every organisation has OF customized to its particulars.The question is how to understand that tailored structure of OF.
Much obliged,
The table stuctures in an EBS R12 database are fully documented in your Electronic Technical Reference Manual. Browse to this URL,
http://etrm.orcle.com
and logon on. Then search for whatever objects you need, and you will see all the table structures with their foreign and primary keys. You mentioned Cash Management: all the Cash Management objects are prefixed with CE. So search for CE% and you will see them all.

On a different matter, you say that the people who did your installation have gone. It is astonishig that your organization has spent vast amounts of money on an EBS implementation, and is now left without support. You have to correct this situation and get a support contract in place with people who understand R12 (my boss would be happy to give you a quote Smile )
--
update: gave this a more meaningful title

[Updated on: Sat, 14 December 2013 10:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Not getting head or tails [message #603382 is a reply to message #603371] Sat, 14 December 2013 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
megamind
John Watson thanks alot for your reply.It made so many things clear.I saw this CE. prefix on so many occasions but didnt know what it meant.And as for the questions posed by blackswam and Lalit,OF just meant oracle financials,nothing complicated:)
Re: Not getting head or tails [message #603383 is a reply to message #603382] Sat, 14 December 2013 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
megamind
Btw John that link isnt working..!
Re: Not getting head or tails [message #603384 is a reply to message #603371] Sat, 14 December 2013 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
martijn
I would say Oracle Financials.
Re: Not getting head or tails [message #603385 is a reply to message #603383] Sat, 14 December 2013 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
megamind wrote on Sat, 14 December 2013 17:49
Btw John that link isnt working..!
If you cannot fix my typing error, you should not be working with orcle.
Re: Not getting head or tails [message #603536 is a reply to message #603385] Tue, 17 December 2013 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
megamind
I want to extract all the records in a table.The table name is "CE_STATEMENT_LINES_V".
How do I accomplish this using PL/SQL Developer.
thanks in anticipation.
Re: Querying Cash Management objects [message #603543 is a reply to message #603536] Tue, 17 December 2013 04:41 Go to previous message
John Watson
megamind wrote on Tue, 17 December 2013 10:33
I want to extract all the records in a table.The table name is "CE_STATEMENT_LINES_V".
How do I accomplish this using PL/SQL Developer.
thanks in anticipation.
You have not looked at the Electronic Technical Reference Manual to which I directed you, have you? When you look up this object, you will find the exact SELECT statement that you need. It is there, in black on white. You will also find this:
"Warning: Oracle does not recommend you query or alter datausing this view. It may change dramatically in subsequent minor or major releases."
--update: I'm getting fed up with the stupid title all these posts have. What was "heads and tails" meant to mean?

[Updated on: Tue, 17 December 2013 04:43]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: how to get last week end date ?
Next Topic: update the date column
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:39:28 CDT 2024