Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Sql server to Oracle Migration (sql server 2008,Oracle 11g, Windows)
Sql server to Oracle Migration [message #601138] Sun, 17 November 2013 02:22 Go to next message
Ora.explorer
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to migrate a procedure from sql server to Oracle. I am using sql developer translator scratch editor. I am having problem converting the merge statement. I need you help on this.
For records with updates, this will set Active flag bit = 0 and insert the new data

INSERT INTO landing(x,y,z,[a],ActiveFlagBit) -- INSERTS updated records
SELECT x,y,z,[a],ActiveFlagBit
FROM(
MERGE staging S
USING landing L

ON L.[y] = S.[y]
AND ((L.[a] = S.[a]) OR (L.[b] IS NULL AND S.[b] IS NULL) )
WHEN MATCHED
AND ActiveFlagBit = 1 -- Testing for column differences (Updated entries)
THEN UPDATE SET S.ActiveFlagBit = 0 -- SETS existing (old) entries to ActiveFlagBit Zero
WHEN NOT MATCHED BY TARGET -- INSERT new records
THEN INSERT ()
OUTPUT $action, '1' AS ActiveFlagBit, ......
) AS ActiveInserts(Action,ActiveFlagBit ......])
WHERE Action = 'UPDATE';

The above is a skeleton of sql server merge. I am able to do the inner merge and i dont know how to replace the output statement and use it for insertand also what can i use in oracle for action?

Can i create a cursor and store the data and use that in insert statement? what should i replace action with. Experts, i am new to this migration, Your suggestions are highly appreciated.
Re: Sql server to Oracle Migration [message #601139 is a reply to message #601138] Sun, 17 November 2013 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I see that this is your first post. Please read our OraFAQ Forum Guide and please read How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read

The syntax, with a simple example, of Oracle's MERGE is here, http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/server.121/e17209/statements_9016.htm
Is it clear? You should not use an explicit cursor for this.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 November 2013 02:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Sql server to Oracle Migration [message #601140 is a reply to message #601139] Sun, 17 November 2013 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I've had another look at your code. I know nothing of SQL Server, but it looks to me as though you need something like this:
insert into landing(x,y,z)
select x,y,z from s join l using(y);
Do you need to MERGE at all?
Re: Sql server to Oracle Migration [message #601157 is a reply to message #601140] Sun, 17 November 2013 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ora.explorer
Thanks for your quick response John. The Concept here is they are inserting a new record in staging table from landing and if its already there they are upating the activeflagbit . So we are usiing merge here on top of that they are taking the result of merge by using "output" clause in sql server(i am assuming return in oracle) and also "action" in sql statement tells if it is insert/update/delete. We have to insert the data into staging if the action is update.So basically update statement in merge set the activeflag and inserts the new record.
I am trying to find the equivalent to action.
Re: Sql server to Oracle Migration [message #601159 is a reply to message #601157] Sun, 17 November 2013 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Sorry, man, I do not understand you. But it sounds as though you are making something very simple into something very complicated. Forget all this "output" and "action" stuff, you don't need that in Oracle. If you want to read one row source, and either insert or update another row source, just use MERGE. I've given you the link to the relevant doc.

SQL Server has all sorts of tricks for covering up problems with read consistency. Oracle doesn't have these problems. Just use pure SQL, and you will be OK.

Re: Sql server to Oracle Migration [message #601164 is a reply to message #601159] Sun, 17 November 2013 22:59 Go to previous message
Ora.explorer
INSERT INTO landing(c1,c2...) -- INSERTS updated records
SELECT  c1,c2...
FROM(
    MERGE   staging S
    USING   landing L

ON      L.c1 = S.c2 
                WHEN    MATCHED  
            AND ActiveFlagBit = 1 

THEN    UPDATE SET S.ActiveFlagBit = 0 -- SETS existing (old) entries to ActiveFlagBit Zero
    WHEN    NOT MATCHED BY TARGET -- INSERT new records
    THEN    INSERT ()
            VALUES ()
    OUTPUT $action, '1' AS ActiveFlagBit,l.c3,l.c4.....) AS ActiveInserts(Action,ActiveFlagBit) 
WHERE Action = 'UPDATE';

This is the sample code. I need to convert it into oracle. Merge is simple so i am able to do that. I don't know how to use this output and action.
Previous Topic: blob update
Next Topic: Moving file using FTP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:23:42 CDT 2024