Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » does a query can use more than one index on table at a time (oracle 10g)
does a query can use more than one index on table at a time [message #600658] Mon, 11 November 2013 03:03 Go to next message
neerumishra
Hello everyone ,

My problem is that i want to know ,
if i have a table as t1 and have column
col1
col2
col3
col4
col5
col6
col7

and also have indexes on table
inx1 as col1,col2,col3

and index
inx2 as col3,col4

then if i have query like this

select * from t1 where col1='somevalue'
and col2='somevalue'
and col3='somevalue'
and col4='somevalue'
and col5='somevalue'

now my problem is that

if i am doing Explain Plan for the query i am getting only one index is working suppose inx1 what about another index.

My questions are:
1) does oracle uses only one index at a time on single table.
2) does all the columns must be in same index .
3) does sequence of columns in index and query matters.

please reply me as soon as possible
Re: does a query can use more than one index on table at a time [message #600665 is a reply to message #600658] Mon, 11 November 2013 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
neerumishra wrote on Mon, 11 November 2013 14:33

1) does oracle uses only one index at a time on single table.

No. The optimizer decides whether or not to use an index.

Quote:

2) does all the columns must be in same index .

Not necessarily. Depends on the predicates, but again, it might differ due to sorting.

Quote:
3) does sequence of columns in index and query matters.

Well it depends on lot of things like the uniqueness of values, cardinality etc.

Quote:

I hope it's a quick reply, and for sure it won't make you understand the concepts clearly.
Re: does a query can use more than one index on table at a time [message #600666 is a reply to message #600658] Mon, 11 November 2013 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
First, forum etiquette. ThisQuote:
is more likely to annoy people than to generate any response at all. Related to this, I see that you have not said "thank you" to the answers for the other questions you have posted.

With regard to your question, It is possible but unlikely for Oracle to use two indexes in your example. It would require a range scan of both indexes followed by dynamic conversion to bitmaps and a bitmap merge. This is probably less efficient that a range scan on inx2 or a skip scan on inx1, with a filter.
Re: does a query can use more than one index on table at a time [message #600667 is a reply to message #600665] Mon, 11 November 2013 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
A good read on Understanding Indexes by Ross.
Re: does a query can use more than one index on table at a time [message #600671 is a reply to message #600665] Mon, 11 November 2013 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neerumishra
thank you sir,

But i have still a confusion on my first question...

that will it use only one index at time, in my query why it is not using another index inx2 inspite the fact that i use five columns in the query.

please elaborate me in this regard .

thank u again.
Re: does a query can use more than one index on table at a time [message #600676 is a reply to message #600666] Mon, 11 November 2013 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neerumishra
John Watson wrote on Mon, 11 November 2013 16:27
First, forum etiquette. ThisQuote:
is more likely to annoy people than to generate any response at all. Related to this, I see that you have not said "thank you" to the answers for the other questions you have posted.

With regard to your question, It is possible but unlikely for Oracle to use two indexes in your example. It would require a range scan of both indexes followed by dynamic conversion to bitmaps and a bitmap merge. This is probably less efficient that a range scan on inx2 or a skip scan on inx1, with a filter.

sorry for my past behaviour..
Re: does a query can use more than one index on table at a time [message #600684 is a reply to message #600671] Mon, 11 November 2013 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
What was not clear in my explanation of why one index is usually more efficient than two?
Re: does a query can use more than one index on table at a time [message #600733 is a reply to message #600684] Mon, 11 November 2013 15:04 Go to previous message
rleishman
If it is possible for Oracle to use Index 1 or Index 2, then the optimizer will decide which one it thinks is faster and use that one. As John pointed out, it is theoretically possible to use both, but will almost certainly be slower.

You don't need to query on every column in the index, but you do need a leading subset. For example, with your Index#1 you could query one (col1, col2, col3), or (col1, col2), or even just (col1).

If you use ALL of the columns in your query (using equals clauses), then column sequence does not matter. But as you can see above, the sequence of columns will affect which subsets of columns you can query on. eg. An index on (col2, col1, col3) could query on just col2 - something that Index#1 cannot do.

Ross Leishman
Previous Topic: Is it possible to get 1st day of the month based on
Next Topic: What wroung i am doing In this query Please suggest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 12:51:27 CDT 2024