Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Performance with Materialized view fast refresh (oracle 11.2.0.3, Linux)
Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598169] Thu, 10 October 2013 23:45 Go to next message
sspn2010
Hi,

I've 2 tables in schema A.

1) TXN_HD_FCT (This table has 6 billion records. Has fields TXN_DT, CUST_ID, TXN_AMT, TXN_ID and the table is partitioned on TXN_DT. We load data approximately 600K+ records to this table every day
2) RELINK_CUST (This table has 2 fieds CUST_ID and NEW_CUST_ID). We load data approximatley 100-200K+ records every day into this table. This table has total 10MM+ records now.

Now i need to create a table (TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT) in Schema B by joining above 2 tables using below query every day

CREATE TABLE TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT
  select a.TXN_DT,
         nvl(b.new_cust_id, a.cust_id) as cust_id,
         a.txn_amt,
         a.txn_id,
    from schema_A.TXN_HD_FCT a,
         schema_A.RELINK_CUST b
   where a.cust_id = b.cust_id(+);

We update CUST_ID to NEW_CUST_ID based on some rules (and keep it in the table RELINK_CUST) and need to take this new_cust_id while building the table TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT. Building this table is taking approximately 4+ hours every day. Can someone sugggest any other approach without re-building the whole table every day, just refresh only records from TXN_HDR_FCT whose CUST_ID is changed or any records inserted into TXN_HDR_FCT? I read about Materialized views but not sure how can i create MV logs on 2 tables? If i use materialized views do i need to create indexes every day?

Thanks!

icon5.gif  Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598175 is a reply to message #598169] Fri, 11 October 2013 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You can write a MERGE statement from the MVIEW LOGs on the tables or your own log table .
How does RELINK_CUST is filled?

[Updated on: Fri, 11 October 2013 00:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598203 is a reply to message #598175] Fri, 11 October 2013 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sspn2010
Thank you Michael. We have a process that runs every day and populates data into this RELINK_CUST table before creating the TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT table.

Could you please demostrate a simple example on how to use MERGE from the MVIEW LOGs?

Thanks!
icon5.gif  Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598205 is a reply to message #598203] Fri, 11 October 2013 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Can you explain in details (this is closely related on how to do what you want) the process how you fill RELINK_CUST from updates of TXN_HD_FCT? I fail to understand how it works to do it once per day as after you updated TXN_HD_FCT with new_id you no more have the previous id. Is there a new_cust_id column in TXN_HD_FCT?
What happens if a cust_id is updated several times?

If I understand you query TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT contains all txn information with either a new_cust_id from RELINK_CUST (find where?) or the cust_id from TXN_HD_FCT.
So if you have several "updates" of a cust_id ("update" necause it seems there is actual SQL UPDATE on cust_id) you have several rows for the same txn.

Is this correct?

Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598214 is a reply to message #598205] Fri, 11 October 2013 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sspn2010
We don't update CUST_ID in TXN_HD_FCT table (which is very big table with 3 billion rows) with new_cust_id from RELINK_CUST table, so we are creating a new table TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT by joining TXN_HD_FCT and RELINK_CUST tables.

So if you have several "updates" of a cust_id ("update" necause it seems there is actual SQL UPDATE on cust_id) you have several rows for the same txn.

No, for one CUST_ID there will be only one NEW_CUST_ID in the RELINK_CUST table (We often update this NEW_CUST_ID). RELINK_CUST table is unique on CUST_ID table.

CREATE TABLE TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT as
with txn_hd_fct as -- This table has 3 Billion records and Range partitioned on TXN_DT
  (select to_date('20130704','YYYYMMDD') txn_dt, 123 as CUST_ID, 125 as txn_amt, 'TX1' as txn_id from dual
   union
   select to_date('20130804','YYYYMMDD') txn_dt, 345 as CUST_ID, 23 as txn_amt, 'TX2' as txn_id from dual
   union
   select to_date('20130904','YYYYMMDD') txn_dt, 678 as CUST_ID, 47 as txn_amt, 'TX2' as txn_id from dual
  ),
  relink_cust as -- This table is unique on cust_id and HASH Partitioned on CUST_ID
  (select 345 as cust_id, 987 as new_cust_id from dual
   union
   select 932 as cust_id, 876 as new_cust_id from dual
  )
  Select a.txn_dt,
         nvl(b.new_cust_id, a.cust_id) as cust_id,
         a.txn_amt,
         a.txn_id
    from txn_hd_fct a,
         relink_cust b
   where a.cust_id = b.cust_id(+)
  ;

I was reading about PARTITION CHANGE TRACKING (PCT). WIll this be useful for this requirement?

Thanks!
Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598225 is a reply to message #598214] Fri, 11 October 2013 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

So, if I understand, you do not "update" on the fly but once per day you fill RELINK_CUST table with the updates of the day (from unknown source) and the TXN_HD_FCT is not touch by this updating process. Is this correct?

Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598229 is a reply to message #598225] Fri, 11 October 2013 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sspn2010
Yes. that's correct. RELINK_CUST update process will not touch TXN_HD_FCT
icon3.gif  Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598231 is a reply to message #598229] Fri, 11 October 2013 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I'd try to first create the table TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT with the whole TXN_HD_FCT in parallel mode, create a unique index on TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT.cust_id and then update TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT with RELINK_CUST new_cust_id.

Don't forget to collect statistics on both TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT and RELINK_CUST after their load.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 October 2013 11:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598234 is a reply to message #598231] Fri, 11 October 2013 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sspn2010
Is it a good idea to update a big table which has 3 billion rows. Also one CUST_ID can have multiple TXN's with different TXN_ID. so TXN_HDR_FCT is unique on CUST_ID, TXN_DT and TXN_ID.

Can i create MVIEW log's on the TXN_HDR_FCT and RELINK_CUST and create a mview TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT with the query mentioned above and do the fast refresh? it will be faster than updating the table? I might be wrong. Please advise.
icon2.gif  Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598235 is a reply to message #598234] Fri, 11 October 2013 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

I don't think you can do a fast refresh with an outer join but in this point Oracle improves greatly at each version so try it but for the moment I stay with my idea (with a non unique index but maybe Oracle will not take it, it depends on the memory and clustering factor you will have).

Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598239 is a reply to message #598234] Fri, 11 October 2013 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
sspn2010 wrote on Fri, 11 October 2013 21:52
Is it a good idea to update a big table which has 3 billion rows.

I would say a DDL to create table ...as select...with parallel no logging if possible will be much faster than a DML, i.e. update in your case. An update on a table not only updates the data but also the index keys defined on the table columns.
Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598246 is a reply to message #598239] Fri, 11 October 2013 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sspn2010
Thank you Lalit and Michael for your suggestions.

Quick question. If i create index on materialized view and refreh mateialized view, will the refresh update indexes also?

Thank you much!
Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598247 is a reply to message #598246] Fri, 11 October 2013 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>If i create index on materialized view and refreh mateialized view, will the refresh update indexes also

what exactly prevents you from doing so yourself & looking at the results on your DB?
Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598257 is a reply to message #598169] Fri, 11 October 2013 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
And now for something completely different: you could use the Change Data Capture facility. Rather than capturing changes in materialized view logs, capture them asynchronously from the redo stream,
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25554/cdc.htm
I am not saying that this would be better or worse than a method based on materialized view logs. But it is a technique that is specifically designed for this sort of thing.

(Do not be put off by the comment in the docs about "de-supported in a future release", that is an attempt to make you spend a pile of cash on GoldenGate. CDC is all there in 12c.)
Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598261 is a reply to message #598257] Fri, 11 October 2013 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sspn2010
Michael,

If i use update then it will update only the cust_id's but i need to move the new records inserted into TXN_HDR_FCT to TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT. I think i can do both in one statement using MERGE right? or do i need to do the insert the first and do the update part which will update CUST_ID?

Lalit mentioned that "An update on a table not only updates the data but also the index keys defined on the table columns"

if i have global indexes on TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT and i do update/insert will the index be re-build for all 3 billion records or only the partitions what changed?

Thanks!
Re: Performance with Materialized view fast refresh [message #598262 is a reply to message #598261] Fri, 11 October 2013 19:04 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
sspn2010 wrote on Fri, 11 October 2013 16:49
Michael,

If i use update then it will update only the cust_id's but i need to move the new records inserted into TXN_HDR_FCT to TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT. I think i can do both in one statement using MERGE right? or do i need to do the insert the first and do the update part which will update CUST_ID?

Lalit mentioned that "An update on a table not only updates the data but also the index keys defined on the table columns"

if i have global indexes on TXN_UPD_HDR_FCT and i do update/insert will the index be re-build for all 3 billion records or only the partitions what changed?

Thanks!

realize that YOU can do proof of concept testing against a table with very few rows; say 30.
You should be able to answer all your questions about what works in less than an hour if you have decent SQL knowledge.
Previous Topic: How to get this SQL output :-
Next Topic: Inserting multiple records with CLOB using select
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 24 08:39:14 CDT 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.22962 seconds