Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » How to retrieve first letter of every word from string (Windows XP/ 7)
How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597433] Fri, 04 October 2013 11:44 Go to next message
dark_prince
Hii, I want to retrieve first letter of every word from the string.
For ex. if string is "Computer Science Engineering (New)" then I want "CSE" or if string is "Mechanical Engineering" then "ME".
Can anyone tell me how to do this..
icon5.gif  Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597440 is a reply to message #597433] Fri, 04 October 2013 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Oracle version?

Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597441 is a reply to message #597433] Fri, 04 October 2013 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Can anyone tell me how to do this..
use SUBSTR() function
Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597445 is a reply to message #597440] Fri, 04 October 2013 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dark_prince
Oracle Version is : Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0
Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597446 is a reply to message #597445] Fri, 04 October 2013 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

In this version solution is:
SQL> with 
  2    data as (
  3      select 'Mechanical Engineering' val from dual 
  4      union all
  5      select 'Computer Science Engineering (New)' from dual
  6    ),
  7    find_initials as (
  8      select val, substr(val,instr(' '||val,' ',1,column_value),1) i
  9      from data,
 10           table(cast(multiset(select level word from dual 
 11                               connect by level <= length(val)-length(replace(val,' ',''))+1
 12                ) as sys.odcinumberlist))
 13      where substr(val,instr(' '||val,' ',1,column_value),1) != '('
 14    )
 15  select val, replace(stragg(i),',') initials
 16  from find_initials
 17  group by val
 18  order by val
 19  /
VAL                                INITIALS
---------------------------------- ----------
Computer Science Engineering (New) CSE
Mechanical Engineering             ME

"stragg" is T. Kyte's function you will find on AskTom.

Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597447 is a reply to message #597441] Fri, 04 October 2013 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dark_prince
BlackSwan wrote on Fri, 04 October 2013 23:58
use SUBSTR() function

With the help of SUBSTR() and INSTR() function I've created procedure which returns 3 words from the string like if string "Jack Spiral Sparrow" then Jack, Spiral and sparrow. But I only know upto 3 words.
icon3.gif  Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597448 is a reply to message #597446] Fri, 04 October 2013 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

And in 11.2, you can use the regexp and listagg functions:
SQL> with
  2    data as (
  4      union all
  6    ),
  7    find_initials as (
  8      select val, column_value,
  9             substr(regexp_substr(val||' ','[^ ]* ',1,column_value),1,1) i
 10      from data,
 11           table(cast(multiset(select level word from dual
 12                               connect by level <= regexp_count(val,' ')+1
 13                ) as sys.odcinumberlist))
 14      where substr(val,instr(' '||val,' ',1,column_value),1) != '('
 15    )
 16  select val, replace(listagg(i) within group (order by column_value),',') initials
 17  from find_initials
 18  group by val
 19  order by val
 20  /

Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597449 is a reply to message #597447] Fri, 04 October 2013 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
dark_prince wrote on Fri, 04 October 2013 19:19
BlackSwan wrote on Fri, 04 October 2013 23:58
use SUBSTR() function

With the help of SUBSTR() and INSTR() function I've created procedure which returns 3 words from the string like if string "Jack Spiral Sparrow" then Jack, Spiral and sparrow. But I only know upto 3 words.

See my previous post you might not see.

Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597452 is a reply to message #597448] Fri, 04 October 2013 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dark_prince
Michel Cadot wrote on Sat, 05 October 2013 00:24

And in 11.2, you can use the regexp and listagg functions:
SQL> with
  2    data as (
  4      union all
  6    ),
  7    find_initials as (
  8      select val, column_value,
  9             substr(regexp_substr(val||' ','[^ ]* ',1,column_value),1,1) i
 10      from data,
 11           table(cast(multiset(select level word from dual
 12                               connect by level <= regexp_count(val,' ')+1
 13                ) as sys.odcinumberlist))
 14      where substr(val,instr(' '||val,' ',1,column_value),1) != '('
 15    )
 16  select val, replace(listagg(i) within group (order by column_value),',') initials
 17  from find_initials
 18  group by val
 19  order by val
 20  /

I want to use this concept in Oracle Forms as string at a time so will you tell me how to use this in procedure
Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597453 is a reply to message #597452] Fri, 04 October 2013 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dark_prince
Sorry I want to say, one string at a time
icon5.gif  Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597455 is a reply to message #597452] Fri, 04 October 2013 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
I want to use this concept in Oracle Forms as string at a time so will you tell me how to use this in procedure

I don't know what you mean and I don't know Forms.
It seems to me that Forms can run any SQL or PL/SQL code, doesn't it?

If it is a Forms question, I can move it to the Forms.

Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597458 is a reply to message #597455] Fri, 04 October 2013 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dark_prince
Oh no no It is SQL/PLSQL question. I want to create procedure/ function which will return 'CSE' or anything after giving input as "COMPUTER SCIENCE ENGINEERING (NEW)" or string..
icon14.gif  Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597460 is a reply to message #597458] Fri, 04 October 2013 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

So my query gives it, just enclose it into a function.

icon14.gif  Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597464 is a reply to message #597460] Fri, 04 October 2013 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
SQL> create or replace function get_initials (p_in varchar2) return varchar2
  2  is
  3    result varchar2(100);
  4  begin
  5    select replace(stragg(i),',') into result
  6    from ( select substr(p_in,instr(' '||p_in,' ',1,column_value),1) i
  7           from table(cast(multiset(
  8                  select level word from dual 
  9                  connect by level <= length(p_in)-length(replace(p_in,' ',''))+1
 10                  ) as sys.odcinumberlist))
 11           where substr(p_in,instr(' '||p_in,' ',1,column_value),1) != '(' );
 12    return result;
 13  end;
 14  /

Function created.

SQL> select get_initials('Mechanical Engineering') from dual;
GET_INITIALS('MECHANICALENGINEERING')
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ME

1 row selected.

SQL> select get_initials('Computer Science Engineering (New)') from dual;
GET_INITIALS('COMPUTERSCIENCEENGINEERING(NEW)')
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CSE

1 row selected.

icon14.gif  Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597465 is a reply to message #597464] Fri, 04 October 2013 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

SQL> create or replace function get_initials (p_in varchar2) return varchar2
  2  is
  3    result  varchar2(100);
  4    initial varchar2(1);
  5  begin
  6     for i in 1..length(p_in)-length(replace(p_in,' ',''))+1 loop
  7       initial := substr(p_in,instr(' '||p_in,' ',1,i),1);
  8       if initial != '(' then
  9         result := result || initial;
 10       end if;
 11     end loop;
 12     return result;
 13  end;
 14  /

Function created.

SQL> select get_initials('Mechanical Engineering') from dual;
GET_INITIALS('MECHANICALENGINEERING')
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ME

1 row selected.

SQL> select get_initials('Computer Science Engineering (New)') from dual;
GET_INITIALS('COMPUTERSCIENCEENGINEERING(NEW)')
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CSE

1 row selected.

Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597471 is a reply to message #597433] Fri, 04 October 2013 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Using REGULAR EXPRESSION -

SQL> WITH t
  2       AS (SELECT 'Computer Science Engineering' str
  3           FROM   dual
  4           UNION ALL
  5           SELECT 'Mechanical Engineering'
  6           FROM   dual
  7           UNION ALL
  8           SELECT 'Oracle Frequently Asked Questions is OraFAQ'
  9           FROM   dual)
 10  SELECT str,
 11         Regexp_replace(str, '(^| )([^ ])|.', '\2') initial_letters
 12  FROM   t;

STR                                         INITIAL_LETTERS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Science Engineering                CSE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Mechanical Engineering                      ME                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Oracle Frequently Asked Questions is OraFAQ OFAQiO             

Regards,
Lalit
Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597476 is a reply to message #597471] Fri, 04 October 2013 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sqldba_learner
How about first letter after certain titles say for example I have the following data

Customer Names as follows
--------------------------
Mr James Smith
Mr James Smith and Mrs Kim Smith
Mrs Nikky Ford

and i want output as

Mr J
Mr J and Mrs K
Mrs N

without using regular expression .please can anybody there to help me
thanks
icon14.gif  Re: How to retrieve first letter of every word from string [message #597479 is a reply to message #597476] Fri, 04 October 2013 22:33 Go to previous message
dark_prince
Thanks Michel, Surprised its working correctly the way I wanted. Thanks
Previous Topic: Bulk collect issue
Next Topic: please convert this procedure to oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:59:47 CDT 2024