Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » CASE statement (10g)
CASE statement [message #597021] Mon, 30 September 2013 03:57 Go to next message
pstanand
Hi,
I have a table test_date with the following structure.
test_date(id number,tdate date)
And it contains values as follows
1 5-Sep-13
2 6-Sep-13
3 4-Sep-13
4 null
5 1-Oct-13
6 5-Oct-13

I would like to get the maximum date value if the tdate is null. I used the following query and it doesn't fetches the correct result. Could you please correct me where i'm wrong.
select case when tdate is null then (select max(tdate)from test_date)end tdate from test_date.

Thanks.
Anand
Re: CASE statement [message #597022 is a reply to message #597021] Mon, 30 September 2013 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
You are missing ELSE; you told it what to do when TDATE is null, but you didn't say what to do when it is NOT NULL:
select case when tdate is null then (select max(tdate) from test) 
            else tdate 
       end tdate

Or, you could have used NVL:
select
  nvl(tdate, (select max(tdate) from test_date)) datum
from test_date

Or
with max_date as
  (select max(tdate) mtdate from test_date)
select 
  nvl(tdate, mtdate)
from test_date,
     max_date 

Or any other valid option you can think of.
icon5.gif  Re: CASE statement [message #597023 is a reply to message #597021] Mon, 30 September 2013 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

What does mean "it doesn't fetches the correct result"?
What should be the result for the sample data you gave?

Re: CASE statement [message #597024 is a reply to message #597021] Mon, 30 September 2013 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peterf
Hi Anand,

Below code should work.

select id,
(case nvl(to_char(tdate,'dd/mm/yyyy'),'x')
when 'x' then (select max(tdate) from test_date)
else tdate
end)
from test_date

Let me know if it works Smile
icon3.gif  Re: CASE statement [message #597025 is a reply to message #597021] Mon, 30 September 2013 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If this the max in the whole table it could be:
select id,
       nvl(tdate, 
           max(tdate) over 
             (order by id
             rows between unbounded preceding and unbounded following)
         tdate
from test_date

or
select id,
       nvl(tdate, (select max(tdate) from test_date)) tdate
from test_date

or
with maxdate as (select max(tdate) maxdt from test_date)
select id, nvl(tdate, maxdt) tdate
from test_date, maxdate

[Updated on: Mon, 30 September 2013 13:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CASE statement [message #597026 is a reply to message #597025] Mon, 30 September 2013 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peterf
Hello Moderators,
Apologies for not posting the code in previous message without using add code feature.

SELECT ID,
       (CASE NVL (TO_CHAR (tdate, 'dd/mm/yyyy'), 'x')
           WHEN 'x'
              THEN (SELECT MAX (tdate)
                      FROM test_date)
           ELSE tdate
        END
       )
  FROM test_date
Re: CASE statement [message #597029 is a reply to message #597024] Mon, 30 September 2013 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pstanand
Thank you very much peter. It is working fine.
icon8.gif  Re: CASE statement [message #597031 is a reply to message #597029] Mon, 30 September 2013 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

OK, now we know that you don't care about answers from others than Peter and it is useless to answer you.

Re: CASE statement [message #597068 is a reply to message #597026] Mon, 30 September 2013 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Why the unnecessary to_char on the date Peter? What's the point of it?
Re: CASE statement [message #597069 is a reply to message #597068] Mon, 30 September 2013 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

And why the NVL(...,'x')?
Why the CASE?

Re: CASE statement [message #597072 is a reply to message #597069] Mon, 30 September 2013 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Michel Cadot wrote on Mon, 30 September 2013 19:35

And why the NVL(...,'x')?
Why the CASE?

All valid questions that I was going to lead up to Michel Wink
Re: CASE statement [message #597077 is a reply to message #597072] Mon, 30 September 2013 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Let me guess: it is because he managed to compose such a query at the moment.
Does it work? Yes, it seems so.
Could it be improved? Yes, certainly.

Although number of posts doesn't show someone's knowledge and experience, it seems that @peterf isn't very experienced. I'm quite sure that, after he spends years and decades in writing Oracle queries, he'll be capable of solving this very problem having his eyes closed. As of now, well, query looks as it does.

So, perhaps you could tell him what you found wrong or suboptimal so that all of us could learn something from you. How does that sound?
icon10.gif  Re: CASE statement [message #597078 is a reply to message #597077] Mon, 30 September 2013 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

The questions were there to make him think about his query and then improve it, not to actually get an answer.

Re: CASE statement [message #597085 is a reply to message #597078] Mon, 30 September 2013 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Right; I'm sure he won't sleep tonight, thinking about his query and the ways he could improve it.
Re: CASE statement [message #597088 is a reply to message #597077] Mon, 30 September 2013 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Littlefoot wrote on Mon, 30 September 2013 20:24
Let me guess: it is because he managed to compose such a query at the moment.

I posted Quote:

All valid questions that I was going to lead up to Michel
So I'm not sure how our comment relates to what I wrote LF. However, yes, quite clearly that that is what he composed at that point in time. Do you have an issue with me asking him why he used the to_char? If so, why. I fully intended to discuss with him why it was not necessary, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Quote:
Does it work? Yes, it seems so.
And if what he had written didn't work, I would have posted something different, rather than ask him about an initially unnecessary piece of code.
Quote:
Could it be improved? Yes, certainly.
OK, in fact, the code that you posted earlier was an improvement, however, the OP seemed to think that Peter's was the one to go for. Do you think that possibly, discussing the problems with that code might have been beneficial?

Quote:
Although number of posts doesn't show someone's knowledge and experience, it seems that @peterf isn't very experienced. I'm quite sure that, after he spends years and decades in writing Oracle queries, he'll be capable of solving this very problem having his eyes closed. As of now, well, query looks as it does.
I'm not really sure what point you're making here LittleFoot. The query looks as it does, yes, and it is need need of improvement as has already been said. In fact, better solutions already exist in the Thread, unfortunately, as I already said, the OP seems to want to take the 'least good' option. Again, the reason for me starting a discussion by asking, in the first instance, about the unnecessary to_char.

Quote:
So, perhaps you could tell him what you found wrong or suboptimal
I'm pretty sure that I did that, when I said:
Quote:
Why the unnecessary to_char on the date Peter?

Quote:
so that all of us could learn something from you. How does that sound?
Kind of condescending, to be honest, very unlike you LF. I don't pretend to be a font of all knowledge. I simply tried to initiate a discussion on the problems with the solution provided.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 September 2013 16:15]

Re: CASE statement [message #597103 is a reply to message #597088] Tue, 01 October 2013 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Huh, right, this might turn into another useless discussion. Worst of all, I started it. What an idiot.

The fact is: I was astonished with all these why this or why not that questions. It was a loooong day yesterday and my tolerance level was pretty low, so I wrote what I wrote so I'll just have to live with it.

As of the OP picking the least good solution and thanking its creator, that's nothing to be upset about (especially not stating that he doesn't deserve answers in the future). Having ~40 posts on a forum in 8 years suggests that he is not an experienced forum user. People like him sometimes don't read everything that was posted, but jump to the last message and fail to observe everything else.

Finally, as I was pretty much wrong and probably unnecessarily overreacted, I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings.
icon7.gif  Re: CASE statement [message #597106 is a reply to message #597021] Tue, 01 October 2013 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peterf
Hello everyone.

Ok First of all I am new to SQL and PL-sql.

Second I wrote case statement as Anand was using it and saying that it is not working. So I thought I will try to use the case statement. Otherwise I myself would have not used it. I would have use as Michel said
select
  nvl(tdate, (select max(tdate) from test_date)) datum
from test_date

Thirdly yes you all are correct neither NVL nor to_char is necessary.
I am doing reporting now and I am converting every date datatype to char for formatting and hence maybe I went with the flow. Razz
It is good to have an discussion as it would improve my sql and maybe after a few years as Littlefoot said I would write these queries with my eyes closed Smile

And why did Anand use mine I think he was just looking for a readymade case statement and when he saw the code he checked it and then used it without breaking much head on other valuable posts.

So we should hopefully close this discussion now. thanks everyone for their suggestion.

icon7.gif  Re: CASE statement [message #597108 is a reply to message #597106] Tue, 01 October 2013 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Thanks for the feedback.

Re: CASE statement [message #597109 is a reply to message #597106] Tue, 01 October 2013 02:41 Go to previous message
pablolee
Quote:

I am doing reporting now and I am converting every date datatype to char for formatting and hence maybe I went with the flow.
LOL, yes, that makes a lot of sense. Something I'm sure that we're all guilty of. Smile
Quote:
And why did Anand use mine I think he was just looking for a readymade case statement and when he saw the code he checked it and then used it without breaking much head on other valuable posts.
Agreed, that is a definite possibilty. Hopefully the OP will now realise that there were slightly better options available. What say you Annand?
Quote:
So we should hopefully close this discussion now. thanks everyone for their suggestion.
Thumbs Up

[Updated on: Tue, 01 October 2013 02:41]

Previous Topic: REGEXP_SUBSTR
Next Topic: SQL query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:40:14 CDT 2024