Home » Other » Training & Certification » Avise for getting Oracle Database11g SQL Admin Cert Association
Avise for getting Oracle Database11g SQL Admin Cert Association [message #594364] Tue, 27 August 2013 22:40 Go to next message
crytal
Anyone can advise me. I know nothing about SQL Database and I would like to sit for Oracle Database11g SQL Administration Cert Association. Where should I start from?
Re: Avise for getting Oracle Database11g SQL Admin Cert Association [message #594365 is a reply to message #594364] Tue, 27 August 2013 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> Where should I start from?
Forget about Oracle & start with MS ACCESS or MYSQL; both of them are much less complex & complicated than Oracle.
Re: Avise for getting Oracle Database11g SQL Admin Cert Association [message #594375 is a reply to message #594365] Wed, 28 August 2013 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
If possible, find educational center and attend Oracle classes - doing so, you'd get the idea quickly and won't have to spend a lot of time in researching basic stuff.

If you have to do everything by yourself, here's what you might do.

This is Oracle 11g R2 documentation page. Start with the "Concepts" book so that you'd know what Oracle is. Then download and install (following the installation guide) 11g R2 database; along with that, read "2 day DBA" book. Move on to "SQL language reference" so that you'd get familiar with SQL commands. Finally, go on to the "Administrator's Guide".

Once you're done with the above, come back and ask for more. I'm sure someone will point you to the right direction.
Re: Avise for getting Oracle Database11g SQL Admin Cert Association [message #594380 is a reply to message #594375] Wed, 28 August 2013 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crytal
Which one is more relevant to workforce, MS ACCESS or MYSQL or Oracle Database ??
Re: Avise for getting Oracle Database11g SQL Admin Cert Association [message #594428 is a reply to message #594380] Wed, 28 August 2013 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
1. Depends on which workforce
2. Depends on your ability. e.g. If Oracle is beyond your ability, then no matter how good the job prospects are, if you're a duffer, then your prospects are poor.
Re: Avise for getting Oracle Database11g SQL Admin Cert Association [message #594447 is a reply to message #594380] Wed, 28 August 2013 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
crytal wrote on Tue, 27 August 2013 23:48
Which one is more relevant to workforce, MS ACCESS or MYSQL or Oracle Database ??

I am certain that there is at least tens times more MS ACCESS databases than Oracle databases worldwide,
since anyone with a Windows PC can install & use Access without any outside assistance.

I know that where I work every (60+) salesman , Product Line Manager, "data analyst" has their own Access DB but only 1 Production Oracle DB exists.
Re: Avise for getting Oracle Database11g SQL Admin Cert Association [message #594467 is a reply to message #594380] Wed, 28 August 2013 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Quote:

MS Access is for small, non-mission-critical databases. It does not require a DBA, so you would never find a company advertising for a MS Access database administrator. There are people who work as contractors to develop databases in Access. In fact I did just that... about twenty years ago.

MySQL is a reasonably capable RDBMS -- certainly far more capable than Access. Since it is free and open-source, it has been shipped with Linux distributions for years and is often used as the database of choice for people that cannot or are not willing to pay for Oracle or SQL Server. There are companies that hire MySQL DBAs. However, from my (admittedly unscientific) sampling, there are considerably fewer MySQL DBA positions in my area and they tend to have starting salaries about 70% that of an Oracle DBA and top out well below a Senior Oracle DBA.

Oracle is the market leader for enterprise-class databases. When a company has information and applications on their database that must be functional for their business to function correctly, Oracle is a top choice. The DBAs who administer these database need to be highly skilled and are compensated for their knowledge and experience.

If you are willing to learn how to administer an Oracle database then it is possible for you to make a lucrative career with that knowledge. Many newbies are interested in learning just enough to be able to fake their way through an interview. In that case, you'd be better off learning MySQL.

I wrote an article for Oracle newcomers about starting out from scratch here:
http://ocprep.blogspot.com/2013/07/i-know-nothing-about-oracle-but-i-want.html
Re: Avise for getting Oracle Database11g SQL Admin Cert Association [message #594471 is a reply to message #594467] Wed, 28 August 2013 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crytal
Thanks people for your feedback.

I decided to enroll myself to SQL Expert Certification Discount Package ( including of Fundamental and Admin Association course) at Oracle Uni Spore. However, I found this Oracle Path and to those people who are like me may want take a looks at this website: http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:Datab11g

Re: Avise for getting Oracle Database11g SQL Admin Cert Association [message #594839 is a reply to message #594471] Tue, 03 September 2013 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oranooob
do you mean exam 1Z0-047 - Oracle Database SQL Certified Expert? That's too complicated for beginner without real world know-how.
Re: Avise for getting Oracle Database11g SQL Admin Cert Association [message #594843 is a reply to message #594839] Tue, 03 September 2013 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Quote:
do you mean exam 1Z0-047 - Oracle Database SQL Certified Expert?

No -- that's just OU's name for one of their packages: "Oracle Database SQL Expert Certification Discount Package".
It includes a course from OU, a practice exam from Kaplan, and a test voucher with free retake. I'll grant that they picked a misleading name for it...

- Oracle Database: Introduction to SQL
- Certification ePractice Exam: Downloadable Version with 12 month license
- Exam Voucher: Oracle Certification Proctored Exam + Free Retake Exam
Re: Avise for getting Oracle Database11g SQL Admin Cert Association [message #594914 is a reply to message #594843] Tue, 03 September 2013 22:31 Go to previous message
crytal
I taking Oracle Database11g Fundamental oz1-051 exam
Previous Topic: OCP query
Next Topic: Oracle Financials Online Training at AADS Education
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 00:44:07 CDT 2024