Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Can VMWare software hold two servers? (Oracle 11.2.0.2, linux)
Can VMWare software hold two servers? [message #592501] Thu, 08 August 2013 22:44 Go to next message
lg123
Hi,

I wanted to practice dataguard in oracle. I feel that I can practice realistically if I have 2 different servers to do switchovers, building new physical standby database from scratch and shipping the archiving logs from primary to physical standby database, etc., Can I use VMWare software to install 2 different servers and then practice dataguard?
Re: Can VMWare software hold two servers? [message #592503 is a reply to message #592501] Thu, 08 August 2013 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> Can I use VMWare software to install 2 different servers and then practice dataguard?
I give up.
Can you?
I and others have done so.
Re: Can VMWare software hold two servers? [message #592508 is a reply to message #592501] Fri, 09 August 2013 02:57 Go to previous message
John Watson
Many people (including me) find VirtualBox a better environment than VMware for this sort of thing. Right now, I'm running 5 virtual machines on my laptop to do some research on a 4 node RAC with a separate node for the DNS and DHCP server. Unlke VMware, all releases of VB are free.

But really, you don't need the complication. You can demonstrate all the Data Guard features (except the cross platform capability) with databases in one machine. That is the way I run most of our Data Guard course, which covers everything, Data Guard, taught by an Oracle Certified MasterThe ORacle Uni course works the same way.
Previous Topic: Dataguard encryption
Next Topic: How to find apply node in RAC two node standby db?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:27:07 CDT 2024