Home » Other » Training & Certification » OCM certification for PL/SQL developers
OCM certification for PL/SQL developers [message #590888] Tue, 23 July 2013 13:58 Go to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Hi folks,

Recently I read a magazine from Oracle stating that they do not offer OCM certifications since the number of people who wish to apply are too less. Developers who complete OCA, only a few percentage of them go ahead and complete OCP. That's the reason OCM is not available for PL/SQL developers.

Wish to see it in near future. Wondering what would be the areas it would cover.
Re: OCM certification for PL/SQL developers [message #590911 is a reply to message #590888] Wed, 24 July 2013 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Well I can't really call it a scientific or comprehensive survey, but since I have study guides out for both 1Z0-144 and 1Z0-146, I have a little bit of insight into this. My 1Z0-146 guide has been out for four months now and tends to sell at about 50-75% the rate of my 1Z0-144 one. This certainly doesn't provide a complete picture, but it certainly implies that over half of the people who pursue the PL/SQL OCA also pursue the OCP.

That said, OU does not provide hard numbers on how many people have earned any given certification. The total number of PL/SQL OCPs may simply be too low for them to believe a sufficient market exists for the OCM to be viable.

As to what the OCM would be like -- look at the Java OCM. Likely a PL/SQL OCM would follow a similar model as the Java SE 6 Developer Certified Master Assignment.

Re: OCM certification for PL/SQL developers [message #591648 is a reply to message #590911] Tue, 30 July 2013 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Well numbers are always amusing in the end. May be for people who are in the industry for 25/30+ years does not have to worry about OCM for pl/sql. However, I have seen a lot of developers, even authors who publish their Oracle books, use their certification logo.

And with the advent of cloud in Oracle, the knowledge base to become an OCM will definitely be tested at it's zenith. And at last but not the least, it gives the chance to get back to basics for a while.
Re: OCM certification for PL/SQL developers [message #591681 is a reply to message #591648] Tue, 30 July 2013 20:34 Go to previous message
matthewmorris68

I'd be very happy for Oracle to decide to have a PL/SQL OCM. That said, I don't like what I read about the Java one. Looks like they send you an 'assignment' to do. You have six months to complete and return it. Then you have to write an essay about your solution.

The problem, unless I am missing something, is that the potential for cheating is enormous with this method. How can they possible verify that the person obtaining the OCM really did the assignment and essay? The DBA OCM is essentially cheat-proof because of the way it is done. That said, I can see the difficulty of creating a similar two-day PL/SQL practicum that demonstrates that a person is a PL/SQL master. How complicated could a programming project be if it can be completed in two days?
Previous Topic: Any recommended ebooks on Basic Oracle Administration?
Next Topic: The best RAC and Grid Infrastructure course ever
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:05:15 CDT 2024