Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » About: Query Data Source Columns (Oracle Forms Developer Suite, 10g 2, Windows XP)
About: Query Data Source Columns [message #590602] Fri, 19 July 2013 11:09 Go to next message
tiepmr

Hello everyone,
I'm new to Oracle Forms 10g.
When I create a data block based on a table using Data Block Wizard, the block's Query Data Source Columns property is automatically populated with column definition entries corresponding to the columns of the base table.
I tried making changes to these entries, for example by changing the data types to wrong data types or even deleting them, and I found that those changes had no effect on the block at all. The form was still working as I wanted.
Please explain what is exactly the role of the block's Query Data Source Columns property.

Thank you very much.

p.s: The F1 key help says "The Query Data Source Columns property is valid only when the Query Data Source Type property is set to Table, Sub-query, or Procedure". So, please explain in each context of Query Data Source Type. Sad

Thank again.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 July 2013 20:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: About: Query Data Source Columns [message #590644 is a reply to message #590602] Sat, 20 July 2013 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tiepmr

Someone help me, please!
Re: About: Query Data Source Columns [message #590684 is a reply to message #590644] Mon, 22 July 2013 01:55 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I never paid attention to it when data source type is "table". These properties (query data source type/name/columns/arguments) are usedwhen you create a block based on a stored procedure whose (IN) OUT argument is an associative array. Data block wizard creates a block easily if it is based on a table, but - for a procedure - you have to create all items, specify their datatypes and lengths, supply possible procedure arguments - all that manually.

I found two messages (I posted previously) that illustrate that, such as type and procedure creation example and procedure body. (I *think* I posted a complete walkthrough some time ago, but can't find that any more. On the other hand, maybe I didn't post it ... can't tell for sure, sorry. I hope Google will teach you how to do that - base a block on a procedure, I mean).
Previous Topic: Scanned Documents in Oracle Forms
Next Topic: rep-300 OCI invalid handle error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:19:03 CDT 2024