Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Loading and reading at the sametime (Oracle 10g and 11g both)
Loading and reading at the sametime [message #577247] Wed, 13 February 2013 13:09 Go to next message
babhuko
Hi all,

For example, we have a table ACCOUNT (snowflake dimension containing other dimension keys) and I have many fact tables based on this dimension. Normally datawarehouse load happens like first dimensions needs to be loaded and then facts. Our frequency of loads is 30 mins.

To increase the rate in which the data will be available in the facts (as its a financial application), am considering to have two batches one with dimension and another one with fact (came to this conclusion as there is no dependency like first dimensions to be loaded then only fact) just the update might get missed sometimes. But if I do that, when dimension gets loaded, it will be read in the facts in another session. Will this affect the performance ?

LOADING (insert/update) and selecting data from table at the same time. Will it affect the performance in any way >

Please guide me.
Re: Loading and reading at the sametime [message #577249 is a reply to message #577247] Wed, 13 February 2013 13:21 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>LOADING (insert/update) and selecting data from table at the same time. Will it affect the performance in any way >
every SQL impacts performance; since you can't get some thing for nothing.

You need to benchmark two alternative implementations and choose the one that is deemed "better"; how ever you quantify & measure better.
Previous Topic: Oracle Statistics
Next Topic: LONG to CLOB conversion in huge tables
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:26:37 CDT 2024