Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » LONG to CLOB conversion in huge tables (11g 11.2.0.3)
LONG to CLOB conversion in huge tables [message #575716] Fri, 25 January 2013 15:45 Go to next message
gnmurthy86
Hi all,

We have a huge table in production, with LONG column. We are trying to change its datatype to CLOB.
The table has 120 Million records and is of 270 GB in size.

We tried using the oracle expdp/impdp option to try the conversion in our perf environment.
With 32 parallels, the export completed in 1.5 hrs. However, the import took 13 hrs.

I also tried the to_lob option using inserts, it went on for 20 hrs and I killed the process.

Are there any ways to improve the performance of LONG to CLOB conversion on huge tables?
Re: LONG to CLOB conversion in huge tables [message #575718 is a reply to message #575716] Fri, 25 January 2013 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
possibly by using DBMS_REDEFINITION

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28310/tables007.htm#ADMIN11668
Re: LONG to CLOB conversion in huge tables [message #575723 is a reply to message #575716] Sat, 26 January 2013 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Are there any ways to improve the performance of LONG to CLOB conversion on huge tables?

Not really but there maybe some thongs that are not correctly in your database/instance like size and number of redo logs.

Regards
Michel
Re: LONG to CLOB conversion in huge tables [message #575880 is a reply to message #575716] Mon, 28 January 2013 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alan.kendall@nfl.com
What I do is I alter the table and its indexes bo be nologging prior to the export (so the import will have less redo creation and less contention with the lob writes.
ENWEBTT > alter index GAMECENTER.PK_BIG_PLAY nologging;

Index altered.

ENWEBTT > alter table GAMECENTER.BIG_PLAY nologging;

Table altered.

If there are a lot of indexes you can create the non-lob indexes after the import to reduce contention.
I also increase the pga so that index creations will occur more in memory than on disk.
ECSCDAD3 > alter system set pga_aggregate_target=20g scope=memory;

System altered.

You might also check the event waits with the following script to see if there is some other problem like too small a log_buffer, log size or sga.
ECSCDAD3 > @active

SID SERIAL# MACHINE            LOGIN           DB         SEC_WAIT USERNAME    EVENT
------- ------- ------------------ --------------- ---------- -------- ----------- ------------------------
   1522   16629 US\KENDALLA-LAL7   29-JAN-13 13:18 CSCDAD            0 ECSCDAD3    SQL*Net message to client

ECSCDAD3 > list
  1  SELECT sid,
  2         serial#,
  3         machine,
  4         To_char(s.logon_time, 'DD-MON-RR HH24:MI') login,
  5         i.instance_name                            db,
  6         s.seconds_in_wait                          sec_wait,
  7         s.username,
  8         s.event,
  9         s.status,
 10         s.program,
 11         s.machine,
 12         s.MODULE,
 13         s.terminal
 14  FROM   gv$session s,
 15         gv$instance i
 16  WHERE  i.inst_id = s.inst_id
 17         AND s.status = 'ACTIVE'
 18         AND s.username IS NOT NULL
 19         AND s.wait_class <> 'Idle'
 20  --and seconds_in_wait>0
 21* ORDER  BY seconds_in_wait
Re: LONG to CLOB conversion in huge tables [message #575882 is a reply to message #575880] Mon, 28 January 2013 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
If there are a lot of indexes you can create the non-lob indexes after the import to reduce contention.
I also increase the pga so that index creations will occur more in memory than on disk.

In this case, do not increase pga_aggregate_target but switch to MANUAL workarea_size_policy and set the appropriate areas (show parameter area) for this session.

Regards
Michel
Re: LONG to CLOB conversion in huge tables [message #577263 is a reply to message #575882] Wed, 13 February 2013 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xtender

Some time ago I also had to do it. I have tested many different scenarios for a week and tests showed that most quick option was a creating new partitioned table with "store clob as securefile ... compress" and parallel "insert... select...".
Main points:
1. Clob inserts cannot be "direct path insert"
2. You can speed up process with parallelizing
3. When you do it in parallel you need to reduce concurrency for filling clob index,
4. Clob compression optimizing IO throughput

Now I'm too tired, so not all could remember

Best regards,
Sayan Malakshinov
Re: LONG to CLOB conversion in huge tables [message #577264 is a reply to message #577263] Wed, 13 February 2013 16:59 Go to previous message
xtender

My table was also a little bigger(290GB) and my solution with DOP=32 made this for a about 20 minuts with recreation indexes, foreign keys and constraints
Previous Topic: Loading and reading at the sametime
Next Topic: Collection count high in Memory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:56:56 CDT 2024