Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Connect role in dba_role_privs (Oracle DB 11g r1)
Connect role in dba_role_privs [message #568315] Wed, 10 October 2012 12:13 Go to next message
dbengineer
I'm asked to grant the roles for user HIEL to match user YONC. That's pretty straight forward.
But what I noticed is that user HIEL has a connect role but YONC does not. (Result set is below)
Have searched for information but did not find what I was looking for. I did read something about backward compatibility.
I'm leaning towards that thought since the other user YONC does not have this role.

Database: 11g R1

Please advise. Thanks.

Hope I've placed it in the correct forum. I apologize if it is placed incorrectly.

SQL> select * from dba_role_privs where grantee in ('YONC', 'HIEL') order by grantee;

GRANTEE                     GRANTED_ROLE                ADM DEF
--------------------------- --------------------------- --- ---
YONC                        WCAIMS_INQUIRY              NO  YES
YONC                        ENDUSER                     NO  YES
HIEL                        WCAIMS_CSR_ADDR             NO  YES
HIEL                        WCAIMS_CSR_RIA_ADDR         NO  YES
HIEL                        WCAIMS_CSR_TRUST_ADDR       NO  YES
HIEL                        CONNECT                     NO  YES
HIEL                        ENDUSER                     NO  YES

[Updated on: Wed, 10 October 2012 12:43] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Connect role in dba_role_privs [message #568317 is a reply to message #568315] Wed, 10 October 2012 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e16543/guidelines.htm#DBSEG510

Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Re: Connect role in dba_role_privs [message #568319 is a reply to message #568315] Wed, 10 October 2012 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Because I'm feeling nice (and waiting for a 'phone call) I've added the code tags to your post, do you see how much easier to read it is now?
With regard to your question, you are correct, the CONNECT role is officially deprecated. It still exists, but by default it has been crippled. So it won't do any harm, but unless your DBA has reinstated it, it won't do much good either.
Re: Connect role in dba_role_privs [message #568325 is a reply to message #568319] Wed, 10 October 2012 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbengineer
Thank you everyone.
Re: Connect role in dba_role_privs [message #568349 is a reply to message #568325] Thu, 11 October 2012 01:40 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
As a general rule, do not use any of the first 3 predefined roles (CONNECT, RESOURCE, DBA), create your own.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: wrong time offset calculation
Next Topic: cannot use variable in PL/SQL code for Timezone
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 20 12:04:16 CDT 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07708 seconds