Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » impdp and database open mode (split from Moving from one Windows environment to another Linux environment)
impdp and database open mode (split from Moving from one Windows environment to another Linux environment) [message #559044] Thu, 28 June 2012 04:14 Go to next message
Andrey_R
Another question Regarding the expdp:

does the source database have to be open in read-only?
or can it be online at the time of exporting?

*Please do not take mean-while running transactions into consideration,
I will do it at night when nobody's working.

Regards,
Andrey
Re: Moving from one Windows environment to another Linux environment [message #559051 is a reply to message #559044] Thu, 28 June 2012 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
New question, new topic.
Please do NOT mix up the question (above all when they do not belong to the same forum).

Yes, the source database can be online and read write, more it MUST be online, you canNOT export an offline database.
Maybe you should read the documentation?

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Thu, 28 June 2012 06:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Moving from one Windows environment to another Linux environment [message #559059 is a reply to message #559051] Thu, 28 June 2012 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey_R
Hi Michel,
I will take the above into account.

I already understand that one should read documentation before posting questions,
However, unless a very stupid question is asked,
which is indication of the fact that this person haven't even *tried* to read the documentation,
I don't understand why you should constantly bring this up.

If you are like most human-DBA's,
you would know that you cannot learn how to manage databases and complete tasks,
without asking questions, and yes,
*inspite of the fact* that the answer might exist somewhere in Oracle documentation.

Regards,
Andrey
Re: Moving from one Windows environment to another Linux environment [message #559061 is a reply to message #559059] Thu, 28 June 2012 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
If you are like most human-DBA's, you would know that you cannot learn how to manage databases and complete tasks,without asking questions,

This is wrong most (all?) elders here learned to be a DBA without asking questions simply because there was noone to ask to, there was no Internet to search for, there was ONLY paper documentation and yes they learn from the documentation.

If you ONLY read the TOC and the introduction chapter you'd know the answer to your question.
So is it a stupid question? I let you answer to this.

Regards
Michel
Re: Moving from one Windows environment to another Linux environment [message #559062 is a reply to message #559061] Thu, 28 June 2012 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey_R
Sometimes it's not the question that is stupid.

I'm starting to think you just don't want to help, so you place obstacles.

I agree reading the documentation is important, but not willing to help,
and trying to motivate people to study *like the elders* - come on.
It's 2012. Why wouldn't you just want to help, it's not that complicated.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 June 2012 06:01]

Re: Moving from one Windows environment to another Linux environment [message #559063 is a reply to message #559051] Thu, 28 June 2012 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
Michel Cadot wrote on Thu, 28 June 2012 09:35

Yes, the source database can be online and read write, more it MUST be online, you can export an offline database.

Michel, I am sure that this is a typo but, to make it clear, the above should read:

Quote:

you cannot export an offline database.

Regards,
Gareth
Re: Moving from one Windows environment to another Linux environment [message #559064 is a reply to message #559062] Thu, 28 June 2012 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You don't understand what I say or just don't want to understand confusing helping and feeding.
Anyway, I can do my job and improve myself alone when you can't do anything without the help of others. You need someone to point you to the page you have to read or even to completly do what you have to do.

Regards
Michel
Re: Moving from one Windows environment to another Linux environment [message #559065 is a reply to message #559063] Thu, 28 June 2012 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes you are right it is a typo, thanks to point it, I have fixed the message.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Thu, 28 June 2012 06:39]

Re: Moving from one Windows environment to another Linux environment [message #559067 is a reply to message #559064] Thu, 28 June 2012 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey_R
You are just just unpleasant . This does not have anything to do with learning skills.

This doesn't make me not capable of learning by myself\with help of others.

And to remind you - this is a FAQ forum.

Why are you here? To state people that they are wrong?
To insult them? To make them feel less confident?

Please don't tell me what i *need*.
You should know better than this kind of behavior as *an elder*.

This is not serious.

Re: Moving from one Windows environment to another Linux environment [message #559069 is a reply to message #559067] Thu, 28 June 2012 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Andrey_R wrote on Wed, 20 June 2012 09:16
Thank you very much Michel for the quick answer,
thank you all for assistance and help!

Andrey

Re: Moving from one Windows environment to another Linux environment [message #559075 is a reply to message #559069] Thu, 28 June 2012 08:20 Go to previous message
Andrey_R

Not relevant to this conversation.

Grow up.
Previous Topic: unable to do partial export in linux
Next Topic: Flat File Reading
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:36:28 CDT 2024