Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Outer join causes much slower performance
Outer join causes much slower performance [message #558835] Tue, 26 June 2012 15:37 Go to next message
projecttoday
Not sure if anybody can help me with this because I'm not using PL/SQL but maybe somebody can point me in the right direction. I have an Access database with some tables in it that are linked to an Oracle database. I am running queries on these linked tables in the Access version of SQL, not pass through. I have some queries with inner joins in them but if I change them to an outer join which I need to have in case a lookup record is missing the performance slows dramatically. Any idea why this is and what I can do about it? The queries are used to create Access tables. I tried using a pass-through but that was slow also. I have no control over or direct access to the Oracle database.
Re: Outer join causes much slower performance [message #558839 is a reply to message #558835] Tue, 26 June 2012 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I have no control over or direct access to the Oracle database.
Then you have a mystery & we have no way to obtain any clues.
Sad
Can you load client Oracle software on your Windows system?
post results from following SQL below
SELECT * FROM V$VERSION;
Re: Outer join causes much slower performance [message #558930 is a reply to message #558839] Wed, 27 June 2012 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
projecttoday
Oh, sorry, I do have Oracle client software on my computer. I just have never used it and forgot about it. Should I try creating a query?

I tried that SELECT from Access and got an ODBC call failed error.
Re: Outer join causes much slower performance [message #558931 is a reply to message #558930] Wed, 27 June 2012 10:00 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>I tried that SELECT from Access and got an ODBC call failed error.
You need to do what ever is required to issue that SQL against the Oracle DB.
Previous Topic: performance improvement of clob data
Next Topic: a table deleted or updated frequency issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:45:42 CDT 2024