Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Using data guard to migrate from file based to ASM storage (Oracle 11.2.0.1)
Using data guard to migrate from file based to ASM storage [message #554591] Tue, 15 May 2012 19:22 Go to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
G'day,

I have an 11gR2 data base with Local Extent Management and Manual Segment Management.

Can Data Guard be used to replicate this instance into ASM storage? [I have multiple long fields (BLOBs and CLOBs) in various tables.]

I _am_ reading the documentation and I _am_ searching the web for answers but you guys are a great source of information and I need all the help I can get.

David

[Edit: Typo in title.]

[Updated on: Tue, 15 May 2012 19:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using data guard to migrate from file based to ASM storage [message #554592 is a reply to message #554591] Tue, 15 May 2012 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Yes.
But why do you want to use dataguard?
If this is a one time duplication/migration to another server you can just use RMAN active duplicate.
If this is just a migration to ASM from a regular filesystem, you can backup and resore/recover those files in ASM.

Either way, the database need to be available in ASM ( or a filesystem of your choice) before you enable dataguard.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using data guard to migrate from file based to ASM storage [message #554604 is a reply to message #554591] Tue, 15 May 2012 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide
Chapter 16 Migrating Databases To and From ASM with Recovery Manager

Regards
Michel
Re: Using data guard to migrate from file based to ASM storage [message #554723 is a reply to message #554592] Wed, 16 May 2012 19:14 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Thank you both for the prompt feedback.

@Mahesh,

My interpretation of my readings was leading me to the same conclusion.

We don't currently use RMAN (but we will be soon). I want/need to get to ASM before the other mob here get around to moving our backup strategy to RMAN.

@Michel,

Thanks for the link.

Thanks again.

David
Previous Topic: logical standby apply slowly
Next Topic: Dataguard switchover with different patches
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:36:19 CDT 2024