Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Weblogic & Application Server » Can't create borderless textbox (Windows Vista - Oracle Application Server - Internet Explorer)
Can't create borderless textbox [message #537344] Tue, 27 December 2011 16:04 Go to next message
beagles
I am creating a website in OAS and have a textbox 'Username' defined in the Formatting and Validation Options. My dilema is that I don't want a user to be able to click in the field itself, and would prefer no borders around the textbox to give it more of a report field.

The textbox is filled with data sent from a dynamic page.

I used javascript to make the field read only so the data cannot be overwritten. However, the cursor can still be placed in the textbox.

I've tried a number of solutions, but haven't been able to come up with anything. Any ideas? (possibly complicating matters is IE's inability to allow you to change a field's input type based on something such as a value).

Thanks!
Re: Can't create borderless textbox [message #537422 is a reply to message #537344] Wed, 28 December 2011 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, perhaps you could use
onfocus="this.blur()"
on that field which would prevent that field to gain focus.
Re: Can't create borderless textbox [message #537581 is a reply to message #537422] Thu, 29 December 2011 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beagles
Thanks, I tried it out, but I am still able to place the cursor in the textbox. Confused
Re: Can't create borderless textbox [message #537594 is a reply to message #537581] Thu, 29 December 2011 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
OK then, another 2 options: use READONLY (which will leave field "normally" visible, but inaccessible) or DISABLED (whose result is a grayed out field), such as:
<html>
  <body>

<form>
      First name: <input type="text" name="firstname" readonly="readonly"/><br />
      Last name: <input type="text" name="lastname" />
    </form>

</body>
</html>

or
<html>
  <body>

<form>
      First name: <input type="text" name="firstname" disabled="disabled"/><br />
      Last name: <input type="text" name="lastname" />
    </form>

</body>
</html>
Re: Can't create borderless textbox [message #537623 is a reply to message #537594] Thu, 29 December 2011 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beagles
I have the field set up as read only from the start, but it still allows the cursor in the textbox. I can't use disabled, because I can't have the textbox greyed out.

Thanks
Re: Can't create borderless textbox [message #537667 is a reply to message #537623] Fri, 30 December 2011 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, the readonly version works fine when I try it. This is how the screen looks like:

/forum/fa/9685/0/

I can't set focus to the "First name" field (either with a mouse or a keyboard (you know, using the <Tab> key). All I can do is to enter "Last name".
Re: Can't create borderless textbox [message #537719 is a reply to message #537667] Fri, 30 December 2011 08:05 Go to previous message
beagles
Thanks again Littlefoot.

I don't know if it's IE, OAS, or the environment we develop in or a combo of them. Readonly won't allow me to type in the field, but it will allow me to place the cursor there. Confused

B
Previous Topic: The page cannot be displayed
Next Topic: 10g Application Server Clustering
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:34:54 CDT 2024