Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » UNDO in parameter file (Oracle 10g)
UNDO in parameter file [message #534814] Fri, 09 December 2011 06:28 Go to next message
abhi_sri
Hello,

I have a question ragarding undo tablespace.
I want to ask that why only undo tablespace information we need to specify in parameter file. We do not specify any other tablespace information. Not even for temporary tablespace. Then why we need to give undo tablespace name while instance is creating.

Thank in advance.
Re: UNDO in parameter file [message #534816 is a reply to message #534814] Fri, 09 December 2011 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Because only one can be current at each time but you can create several.

Regards
Michel
Re: UNDO in parameter file [message #534818 is a reply to message #534816] Fri, 09 December 2011 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
To complete the answer, your default temporary tablespace is an attribute of the database, not of the instance. So you set it in the controlfile rather than with a parameter:
alter database default temporary tablespace temp;
Re: UNDO in parameter file [message #535106 is a reply to message #534818] Mon, 12 December 2011 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abhi_sri
Hello,

Thanks for these informative replies. My question was - why only undo tablespace require an entry in parameter file.
If we talk about temporary tablespace, we can have multiple temporary tablespaces in database but only one should by & must be default. I can understand that all other tablespaces information require at the time of mounting the database by controlfile. But why UNDO tablespace required to specify in parameter file. Why it is require to let instance know that this will be the UNDO tablespace. We can register it at the time of mounting the database like other tablespace.

Thank in advance for all your favours.
Regards
Re: UNDO in parameter file [message #535113 is a reply to message #535106] Mon, 12 December 2011 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Michel Cadot wrote on Fri, 09 December 2011 13:36
Because only one can be current at each time but you can create several.

Regards
Michel

All UNDO tablespaces are visible, only ONE can be active so you have to tell Oracle which one.
All other kind of tablespaces are visible AND active.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2011 04:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: UNDO in parameter file [message #535150 is a reply to message #535106] Mon, 12 December 2011 07:06 Go to previous message
John Watson
I think you are consideribng only the simple single instance environment. In a RAC, every instance must use a different undo tablespace. How could you manage that without an instance paramerer set uniquely for each instance?

You might also want to look at 11.2, where if you do not specify the undo_tablespace parameter, each instance that starts will take the next currently unused undo tablespace.
Previous Topic: Purge Recyclebin(What is dba_recyclebin.can_purge?)
Next Topic: Tablespace fragmentation in 10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:17:19 CDT 2024