Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » what to do after deleting a database without deleting its rman backups (aix)
what to do after deleting a database without deleting its rman backups [message #529702] Wed, 02 November 2011 10:30 Go to next message
wf201626
hi all

i am new here. so this is my first post.

we have a test database which will be synced from prod database every 6 month. both prod and this test db all use rman to back up themselves.

when i do clone/replicate this test database, first i will have to totally delete this database and reuse the storage space. i have cloned this test database through rman yesterday and forgot to delete all the backups.

i wondered if there is anything i can do to delete all test db's backup.

any idea would be appreciated!

thanks in advance,

Frank
Re: what to do after deleting a database without deleting its rman backups [message #529705 is a reply to message #529702] Wed, 02 November 2011 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I fail understand the issue.
If you do not need the old backups of your test database, just delete them in OS.
Am i missing something? Probably I do not understand what you are asking and over simplifying it?

Re: what to do after deleting a database without deleting its rman backups [message #529717 is a reply to message #529705] Wed, 02 November 2011 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wf201626
actually, i didn't make it clear.

we also use tsm as the media server. so, rman will send all backup files to tsm server and tsm will manage them and store them in tape library.

there is no backup files staying in local host at all.

I hope i make it clear this time,

thanks for replying,

F
Re: what to do after deleting a database without deleting its rman backups [message #529723 is a reply to message #529717] Wed, 02 November 2011 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
So run tsm commands to delete the backups.
Where is the problem?

Regards
Michel
Re: what to do after deleting a database without deleting its rman backups [message #529765 is a reply to message #529723] Wed, 02 November 2011 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wf201626
the problems are -

1. we have multi databases running in that host. if i query the filespace of that oracle tdp client, there will be only one, which will have other databases' backup file in it.
2. tsm does not directly manage all oracle backups. rman will control backup deletion/expiration, etc.

Michel, you did remind me an alternative solution. i can delete all test databases backup files and delete the filespace in tsm. after all done, i start backup through all test dbs.

if there is no other way to delete the leftovers, it is the only way i can think of.

thanks

F
Re: what to do after deleting a database without deleting its rman backups [message #529798 is a reply to message #529765] Thu, 03 November 2011 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
2. tsm is ALWAYS able to manage any backup made by him, via RMAN or not. You should post your question in an IBM forum, they will tell you which commands you have to execute to know what are the TSM backups and how to delete them.

Regards
Michel
Re: what to do after deleting a database without deleting its rman backups [message #529925 is a reply to message #529798] Thu, 03 November 2011 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wf201626
I guess it is tsm issue instead of rman issue. thanks guys,

F
Re: what to do after deleting a database without deleting its rman backups [message #529929 is a reply to message #529925] Thu, 03 November 2011 11:16 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes, as soon as you delete RMAN repository it is no more a RMAN question.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: set newname vs db_file_name_convert
Next Topic: alter database open; ORA-01092
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:49:29 CDT 2024