Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » My question about compressing table (OS Linux - Oracle 9i)
My question about compressing table [message #527305] Mon, 17 October 2011 07:56 Go to next message
khosravi
Hello

I'm going to "move" and "compress" my tables but I don't know doing
moving and compressing a table like this

"alter table t1 move tablespace tbs1 compress"

(my tables aren't IOT)

Can causes failure in Online DML and queries ?
Re: My question about compressing table [message #527310 is a reply to message #527305] Mon, 17 October 2011 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes.

Regards
Michel
Re: My question about compressing table [message #528016 is a reply to message #527305] Fri, 21 October 2011 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reyazan
You can enable compression for all table operations or you can enable it for direct-path inserts only. When compression is enabled for all operations, compression occurs during all DML statements and when data is inserted with a bulk (direct-path) insert operation. To enable compression for conventional DML, you must set the COMPATIBLE initialization parameter to 11.1.0 or higher.

To enable compression for all operations you must use the COMPRESS FOR ALL OPERATIONS clause. To enable compression for direct-path inserts only, you use the COMPRESS FOR DIRECT_LOAD OPERATIONS clause. The keyword COMPRESS by itself is the same as the clause COMPRESS FOR DIRECT_LOAD OPERATIONS, and invokes the same compression behavior as previous database releases.

Re: My question about compressing table [message #528021 is a reply to message #528016] Fri, 21 October 2011 04:55 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
You can enable compression for all table operations or you can enable it for direct-path inserts only.

Not in 9i, OP's version.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: archive log generation time interval or size wise
Next Topic: how to check a partition have been compressed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 00:04:01 CDT 2024