Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » While connecting Forms 6i with Oracle 9i database, Forms stop working
While connecting Forms 6i with Oracle 9i database, Forms stop working [message #525641] Tue, 04 October 2011 07:06 Go to next message
alexmoore
Hello all,
when I try to connect my forms 6i with oracle 9i database, forms stop working and closed immediately at the meanwhile tnslsnr also stop working. This problem also persists in forms runtime.
Re: forms stop working [message #525645 is a reply to message #525641] Tue, 04 October 2011 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Which operating system do you use? Forms 6i is is rather old and is not supported any more, but that doesn't matter as long as a combination of [Forms 6i + your operating system] was certified, once upon a time - it should still work OK.

Did you install the latest patch?
Re: forms stop working [message #525934 is a reply to message #525645] Fri, 07 October 2011 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alexmoore
actually i am new to this filed for learning purpose i installed oracle 6i for development of forms and reports and using the windows 7 .so guide me some tutorials i that way i can got much more knowledge i will be very greatful for you.
Re: forms stop working [message #525937 is a reply to message #525934] Fri, 07 October 2011 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Forget about it. Forms 6i is an old software product and is not certified to work on MS Windows 7. Even much newer Forms 10g won't work on Windows 7.

So, either install the newest Forms 11g (part of Fusion Middleware), or - if you insist on Forms 6i - try with Windows XP (make sure to install the latest Forms patch as well).
Re: forms stop working [message #526066 is a reply to message #525934] Fri, 07 October 2011 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oraclefan2011
@alexmoore @Littlefoot

I had this same issue as I not only run Windows 7, but it is Windows 7 64Bit. Oracle Forms 6i will install on Windows 7 using compatibility mode, but it cannot communicate with Oracle Reports 6i. In addition to that issue, Oracle Reports crashes so much in Windows 7 it is useless.

The answer to my problem was to use Windows XP mode built-in to Windows 7 Professional. In order to use this, you need to enable Hardware Virtualization Support in your BIOS, or Oracle Forms will lag terribly. Ask me how I know this... Wink

Oracle Forms/Reports 6i runs almost perfectly with no extra configuration using Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 Professional. The ONLY thing you need to configure is inside your TNSNAMES, it won't connect to a database if you use an address other then an IP for the database server. That issue is not exclusive to Oracle Forms 6i, because this also happened in SQLTools 1.4PP. Not sure why DNS does not work, but it cost me hours of trial and error to figure that one out.

Hope this helps, just reply if you need any help.

Kind Regards,
OracleFan2011
Re: forms stop working [message #526067 is a reply to message #526066] Fri, 07 October 2011 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oraclefan2011
I did forget to mention that you need to install the latest 6i Patch.. Don't forget this!
Re: forms stop working [message #526106 is a reply to message #526067] Sat, 08 October 2011 05:20 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Thank you for these information! I gave up on Windows XP mode under Windows 7 as it was just useless - Forms were working as a dead cow. Didn't know about Hardware Virtualization Support - I'll try it next week.

So, what I did was: install VirtualBox, put Windows XP onto it, and installed Developer Suite onto that XP VirtualBox. I must admit that I like VirtualBox very much. It makes it possible to keep your job in separate machines; my Oracle VirtualBox is now configured and runs perfectly well, so even if my Windows 7 crashes for any reason, I won't have to install Oracle products once again - just take a copy of my Oracle VirtualBox and that would be all - up and running in a matter of minutes.
Previous Topic: How to choose the tab in focus?
Next Topic: Problem about using Oracle Form 6i to connect Oracle Database 10g express
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:41:14 CDT 2024