Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle Startup (Oracle 11g R1, Windows 2008 Server)
Oracle Startup [message #523201] Fri, 16 September 2011 03:48 Go to next message
gxeon
Hello,

i have windows 2008 server R2 on which i have installed oracle 11g R1 64bit(server) and 11gR1 32 bit(client).
when i try to start database using set ORACLE_SID=dbname, it does not start.but when i try using sqlplus sys/sys@sidname as sysdba, it gets start.
now i want to open my database in mount mode so that i can set archive log mode. but unable to do this because when i use
sqlplus sys/sys@sidname as sysdba. it directly opens in read write mode.

Again if i shut down the database using shut immediate;
it doesn't start, gives the error
ora-12514 listener does not know the service requested in connect descriptor
TNS: protocol adapter error.

if i stop and start the service through services.msc, database starts in read write mode.
i doubt when i shut down the database listener gets unregisted from instance.

pls help..i am new to Oracle DBA

Re: Oracle Startup [message #523226 is a reply to message #523201] Fri, 16 September 2011 05:20 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
when i use sqlplus sys/sys@sidname as sysdba. it directly opens in read write mode.

This does not open the database, this just connect to the instance.

Quote:
i doubt when i shut down the database listener gets unregisted from instance.

You doubt wrong.
1/ The listener does not register to the database, the instance register to the listener
2/ When the instance shut down, it is unregistered from the listener.

Advice: startup only on local connection and not from a remote site, it is a security hole.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: dba role
Next Topic: table lock
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:23:02 CDT 2024