Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Local Index vs Global Index on partitioned table (Oracle 10g)
Local Index vs Global Index on partitioned table [message #513526] Tue, 28 June 2011 01:13 Go to next message
mandeepmandy

Hello,

I have a huge table (about 60 gb) partition over range. The index on this table is global index created on 4 columns together. I have a query which is running very slowly. The explain plan is showing the use of this global index.

And i really don't find any other bottleneck in query .Explain plan is not showing pstart and pend because the index is global. Anyone has idea if this global index is a slowing down the performance?

Appreciate yours replies.

Thanks
Mandeep
Re: Local Index vs Global Index on partitioned table [message #513546 is a reply to message #513526] Tue, 28 June 2011 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Do you really expect someone can "see" what is the problem without knowing anything about it.
If your index slow down the performances then drop it.

Regards
Michel
Re: Local Index vs Global Index on partitioned table [message #513596 is a reply to message #513526] Tue, 28 June 2011 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mandeepmandy

Michel,i really understand your concern.My question was general only.
Is there any performance degradation when using global index instead of local index on big partitioned table?

I think now it makes sense.

Thanks
Mandeep

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2011 06:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Local Index vs Global Index on partitioned table [message #513602 is a reply to message #513596] Tue, 28 June 2011 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Reply to what? We have no information.

Regards
Michel
Re: Local Index vs Global Index on partitioned table [message #513605 is a reply to message #513602] Tue, 28 June 2011 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mandeepmandy

Is there any performance degradation when using global index instead of local index on big partitioned table?

Re: Local Index vs Global Index on partitioned table [message #513614 is a reply to message #513605] Tue, 28 June 2011 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
It depends on the query.

Regards
Michel
Re: Local Index vs Global Index on partitioned table [message #513710 is a reply to message #513605] Wed, 29 June 2011 02:12 Go to previous message
hkchital
>Is there any performance degradation when using global index instead of local index on big partitioned table?

It really depends on the data and the query doesn't it.

There are situations where Global Indexes would be used (e.g. the query cannot / will not prune to a particular partition).
Using a Global Index to fetch a small set of rows from a Partitioned Table is the same as using a Global Index to fetch a small set of rows from a Non-Partitioned table.

So, your question isn't really relevant. You use a Global Index because you can't use a Locally Partitioned Index.

However, you could consider if the Index, itself, be Partitioned. Thus, it wouldn't be a Locally Partitioned index but a Globally Partitioned index --- partitioned by a key other than the Table's Partitioning key.

Hemant K Chitale
Previous Topic: how to show the right I\O of query
Next Topic: Performance Issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:14:41 CDT 2024